Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    You didn't answer my question.

I'm still confused as to how them getting more subs or having the same number of subs is disappointing.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying.
    I never said that gaining subs would be disappointing, however Q4 has seen the two biggest opportunities for WOW to gain subs Christmas and the launch of MOP in China as well as the release of 5.1 if they have not managed to gain subs in this quarter it is unlikely that they are going to gain in future quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    What a joke really.

WOW remaning at 10 million subscription in a time there simply is no more a subscription competition by lack of ... competitors in this bracket (> 500K), you actually make sentences like these

The rest stands at 0.000.000 subs and had to go free to play in order to survive.

Even COD Elite went free and has no longer a subscription fee dude.

He just wants an excuse once more our beloved WOW hater ...

I honestly have no idea what you are trying say or what relevance it has to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Not true!
    If the numbers go up, people will open multiple threads where they:
    a) Accuse them of lying.
    b) Claim that it are all Chinese people and how they aren't "real players"
    c) Claim it are mostly bots.
    d) Attack Blizzard for making a promotion that got a lot of people back.

I didn't make those things up, it all happened before =(
    thats why i like it best when they stay the same. sure a couple threads like that still pop up but the amount of drama is so much smaller than when it goes down or up
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I never said that gaining subs would be disappointing, however Q4 has seen the two biggest opportunities for WOW to gain subs Christmas and the launch of MOP in China as well as the release of 5.1 if they have not managed to gain subs in this quarter it is unlikely that they are going to gain in future quarters.
    Alright, there we go now I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Wait.. Not losing any subs is disappointing?
    That's a huge problem with many people. They expect a 8 year old game that is getting more and more competition to do so well and to keep people so hooked that maintaining 10 million subscriptions is considered "disappointing". Seems the only thing that wouldn't be disappointing for some people would be breaking the previous subscription record, which is less likely than fire and brimstone raining down on Blizzard's Headquarters.

I realize Pann has already explained what he/she meant, but this still stands for some other people. They know who they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

personally i think the subscriptions are gonna drop by about 6 million. this is based on reasons from my personal reasons therefore its true

Exactly, and I don't understand why people believe such a thing.
    With all the competition, the "hatred" for monthly fees and the age of WoW numbers like a one million loss should be considered as something positive.
    I agree completely.

And the fact they have kept subscribers so high in the last few years, as competition gets denser, and the MMO market wanes, is remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    That's a huge problem with many people. They expect a 8 year old game that is getting more and more competition to do so well and to keep people so hooked that maintaining 10 million subscriptions is considered "disappointing". Seems the only thing that wouldn't be disappointing for some people would be breaking the previous subscription record, which is less likely than fire and brimstone raining down on Blizzard's Headquarters.

I realize Pann has already explained what he/she meant, but this still stands for some other people. They know who they are.
    It is only fictional reasoning.

When 95% of the rest of the competition stands at 0.000.000 paying subscriptions and WOW holds on to the same 10.000.000 they had more than 5 years ago, the battle was won.

The sad fact is that the competition gave in: they no longer have the money cow (subscriptions).

Now the WORST that could happen to the competitors is that WOW too dropped its subscriptions OR would include alternative sub plans (like combos of games on BattleNet with Titan/BAS/SC2 esports etc ...

That would simply be the end for most of these free to play thingies too.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-03 at 12:43 AM.

Exactly, and I don't understand why people believe such a thing.
    With all the competition, the "hatred" for monthly fees and the age of WoW numbers like a one million loss should be considered as something positive.
    hell its still a miracle wow got a million subs in the first place
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    That's not true, Beanman12345 mentioned Rift first.
    Fair enough but it was in reply to this;

2008: WoW had 10.000.000 subs.
    2008: the total MMO competition stood at 2.000.000 subscriptions..

2013: WoW stands around 10.000.000 subs. (no way this winter saw a drop)
    2013: the total MMO competition stands at 600.000 subscriptions, the rest went free to play and most are on life support.

Oh and of those 600k subscribers above almost 500k come from EvE, a NON fantasy based game and the ONLY ones left with a decent subscription number. The situation in SUBSCRIPTIONS for those other games is SO bad, the MMO tracking subscription sites STOPPED tracking as there is nothing to track anymore these days...

Tldr: We won.
    It was then that BenBos went off on one about Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    hell its still a miracle wow got a million subs in the first place
    And that it reached a 13 million peak in subscribers.

Or was it 14.

12?

I can't even remember.

Or was it 14.

12?

I can't even remember.
    right around 13 with the launch of cataclysm

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    It's funny, when subscriptions rise, the fanbois create hundreds of "LOOK, NUMBERS ARE RISING, AWESOME!!!" threads and when they drop, they say that those numbers don't indicate anything and that it does not matter at all.
    They exist in a state of denial for which their is no revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    They exist in a state of denial for which their is no revelation.
    look. wow is one of the most profitable games in the world and is a freak of nature that somehow managed to take the mmo market which was around 500k and turn it mainstream with almost 13 million players.

wow took a hardcore game like everquest made it easier and more casual and slapped some warcraft lore on it and made a success.

anyone who could claim that wow isnt successful is the one in denial. is it at the height of its money making power? no but its still a giant.

1.4+ billions dollars for 2012 will be the gross revenue.

Just saying for those who think all figures will be a lie.

And that's just Blizzard. Activision Blizzard's total is expected to be north of 4.8 billion dollars.

It is expected that Activision Blizzard as of now sits on a reserve of around 3.2 billion dollars and no debts.

So far the denial part.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-03 at 12:53 AM.

Or was it 14.

12?

I can't even remember.
    It was just over 12 million and it is an amazing achievement. But nothing lasts forever and I think that WOW is now facing an unassailable decline, what is interesting is how Blizzard will react to this. I think they are learning an expensive lesson in that they cannot dictate to players how they consume content and play the game.

Deleted

And that's just Blizzard. Activision Blizzard's total is epxected to be north of 4.8 billion dollars.

It is expected that Activision Blizzard as of now sits on a reserve of around 3.2 billion dollars and no debts.

So far the denial part.
    That would be more than Microsoft has.

It was just over 12 million and it is an amazing achievement. But nothing lasts forever and I think that WOW is now facing an unassailable decline, what is interesting is how Blizzard will react to this. I think they are learning an expensive lesson in that they cannot dictate to players how they consume content and play the game.
    I mean, and I'm sort of agreeing with you, it's an 8 year old game.

I am open to admit WoW is deflating in popularity, because it's obvious anywhere you look.

The thing I dislike the most on these forums is that the people who dislike how the game currently is feel that somehow Blizzard or WoW victimized them, and is just utter trash now.

But it was never that case at all.

Blizzard adjusts the game for the market and what the players want. They have done their best over the last few years to balance Hardcore and Casual playstyles, and I have to say they've done a damn fine job at it.

Anyone who denies WoW has made a massive impact on the gaming world, and is one of the greatest achievements in the video game industry I just find are ignorant and that irritates me the most.

And that's just Blizzard. Activision Blizzard's total is expected to be north of 4.8 billion dollars.

So far the denial part.
    If your figures are correct then they have nothing to worry about Vivendi saddling them dept and cutting them loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i doubt it would be lower than 9. i personally want them to stay the same.

when they go up: "PFFFFFTTT EVERYONE KNOWS 99.9% OF PLAYERS ARE FROM CHINA"

when they go down: "SEE SEE EVEREH ONES IN TEH WES THINK THIS GAIMES SUKS NAO BC WAS BES NOOBS"

when they stay the same: "meh nothin to see here"
    You can't satisfy the haters. Just the way it is.

Curious that I can cite the exact same wording from posters in the year 2007. YOUR text ... " I think that WOW is now facing an unassailable decline, what is interesting is how Blizzard will react to this. I think they are learning an expensive lesson in that they cannot dictate to players how they consume content and play the game"

and now ...

Here just random source you can find from 2007:
    link: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...24170/page/748

Quote:

"... Wow will lose players to those games because right now there isn't much competion. Blizzard will be forced to restructure the game a lot and add more content. They will also have to buff up the graphic a lot. If Blizzard spend some of the kazillion money they gotten they can still be the leading game in a few years but eventually every great game declines.

My guess would be a million players by 2010 unless they make a really big change and then 100K by 2015 but don't underestimated Blizzard. Of course they might eventually be forced to stop charging monthly if they want new players, GW2 will be free and that might put a new standard. That and new content could give them even more players that they already have.

End quote.

A good laugh really.

But you can find MILLIONS of these posts from 2007 ... and Blizzard had just 8 million subs by then...

What makes it really funny is that these "new games" are now on zero subs counts...

I have been following these kind of posts since 2006 ...

Always a good laugh to go back in time really.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-03 at 01:10 AM.