you expect 12 million subs O_o
    8.5-9 million was pre mop

pre cata was 12 million

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    8.5-9 million was pre mop

pre cata was 12 million
    i thought numbers never dropped below 9.9 before mists came out
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    "nothing lasts forever and I think that WOW is now facing an unassailable decline"
    That is probably what he is aiming at.

People have been saying that for 5 years now; Five years ago they claimed WoW would lose most of the subs within the next years.
    Five years ago people have been yelling that new games would dominate the market.
    But the truth is: WoW hardly lost anything and is still the king in subscriptions.

Don't take this in a bad way, but posts like yours remind me off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2_cJxYYhM
    For the last 4.5 years I have been reading this forum and every month people would claim that NOW WoW would really 'fall' and lose a terrible amount of subs.
    Every single time WoW was hardly scratched and survived everything that the competitors could throw against them.

And did you know what those users said?
    Did they apologize for being wrong?
    No no, they responded with: "But the next quarter they will have lost tons of subs and the next game will destroy WoW!"
    After almost 5 years that is really annoying.
    Since the quote I referred to was from Mar 2007, that's 6 years already

It shows that indeed these kind of threads always existed and it is always the "next report" or "next year" that will certainly hunt down Blizzard.

Could be ? Sure, but SO many unknown and uncontrollable facts are involved that making these claims are useless.

Examples? too many to choose from but : ... another payment scheme, or a BETA access to Titan for those getting WOW subs.. etc, a graphical overhaul, the deletion of realms, ... you name it.

What these people forget is that Blizzard has the keys of control, and the position of being the only ones left with such subscription numbers.

In fact 2013 is much calmer for WOW subs than 2012... Who knows what they'l bring in 2014

And by 2015 there is this movie thing coming. Perhaps an ideal way to give free subs for 2 months for all movie ticket owners ...

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Not sure if that is a typo but WOW dropped to 9.1 million prior to 5.0 when it went back up to 10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Since the quote I referred to was from Mar 2007, that's 6 years already

It shows that indeed these kind of threads always existed and it is always the "next report" or "next year" that will certainly hunt down Blizzard.

Could be ? Sure, but SO many unknown and uncontrollable facts are involved that making these claims are useless.

Examples? too many to choose from but : ... another payment scheme, or a BETA access to Titan for those getting WOW subs.. etc, a graphical overhaul, the deletion of realms, ... you name it.

What these people forget is that Blizzard has the keys of control, and the position of being the only ones left with such subscription numbers.

In fact 2013 is much calmer for WOW subs than 2012... Who knows what they'l bring in 2014

And by 2015 there is this movie thing coming. Perhaps an ideal way to give free subs for 2 months for all movie ticket owners ...
    So do you think WOW will gain or lose subs? As Titan is rumoured to be free to play why do think people will pay to play a beta version? If past performance is anything to go by 2014 will bring nothing for several months and towards the end there will be an expansion. 2015 is a long way away and there is no guarantee that the movie will be out by then and that it would appeal to non-WOW players. Free subscription seems like a bad idea to me, the majority of people that go to see the movie will already be subscribers thus they will lose sub money those that are not are unlikely to spend £80 plus buying WOW plus four or five expansions in order take advantage of a free subscription.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-02-03 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    9.1 million before mop

I really thought it would add up by another million wow has been good

9.1 million before mop
    So what happens if you're right and the game just keep declining and nothing changes.

What's in it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    So what happens if you're right and the game just keep declining and nothing changes.

What's in it for you?
    answered that question on post #69

These threads are so pointless.

Subs will be between 8 and 12 million like they have been for a long ass time. Neither end of that spectrum matters, as it still shows complete and utter dominance, and it will stay that way for quite a long time to come.

answered that question on post #69
    And what if the game is truly fine as it is right now and WoW's only losing subscribers because the MMO trend and popularity of WoW is dwindling?

Kinda means the game can't help it.

What then?

9.1 million before mop
    10.2 and 10.3 million before that 2nd quarter in 2012. (9.1 M)

9.1 M was the ONLY quarter where this happened and after that quarter the 10+M subs number was reached again by the launch of MoP.

Now what did launch again in that second quarter of 2012 ?: Right ANOTHER Blizzard game selling a whopping 10.000.000 copies throughout that ... 2nd Quarter

You can easely see the influence of that new Blizzard fantasy game on Warcraft Realms in that period.

---

D3 launch had a HUGE impact on WOW play back in that quarter, not only by numbers, but also by promotional links AND of course a real lack of summer content for WOW.

The moment WOW 5.0 launched in beta you see the numbers grow on these graphs.

TLDR:
    No matter how you turn it: WOW never went lower than 10M - except for one quarter where another fantasy Blizzard game launched that sold 10.000.000 copies in that quarter alone.

After that quarter WOW immediately went up to 10M subs again.... DESPITE the launch of a new hugely promoted free to play MMORPG a month earlier...

I really think that anyone "dreaming" for a loss to 9 Million again this winter is just taking his WOW hate dream for granted.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-03 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    14 million.

EvE doesn't have 500k, it has 200k at most.
    Plus the fact that you can pay your subscription using ingame currency... yeah. When one-month subscription codes start showing up on the BMAH, we can compare.

And what if the game is truly fine as it is right now and WoW's only losing subscribers because the MMO trend and popularity of WoW is dwindling?

Kinda means the game can't help it.

What then?

I do not know I am not a blizzard employee. I would guess they would cut back resources for it as said in post 69

I do not know I am not a blizzard employee. I would guess they would cut back resources for it as said in post 69
    I mean for you personally.

What if everything you hope for doesn't happen and WoW simply succeeds and is completely fine for a few more years, along with still having a TON of subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    10.2 and 10.3 million before that 2nd quarter in 2012. (9.1 M)

9.1 M was the ONLY quarter where this happened and after that quarter the 10+M subs number was reached again by the launch of MoP.

Now what did launch again in that second quarter of 2012 ?: Right ANOTHER Blizzard game selling a whopping 10.000.000 copies throughout that ... 2nd Quarter

You can easely see the influence of that new Blizzard fanatasy game on Warcraft Realms in that period.

---

D3 launch had a HUGE impact on WOW play back in that quarter, not only by numbers, but also by promotional links AND of course a real lack of summer content for WOW.

The moment WOW 5.0 launched in beta you see the numbers grow on these graphs.

TLDR:
    No matter how you turn it: WOW never went lower than 10M - except for one quarter where another fantasy Blizzard launched that sold 10.000.000 copies in that quarter alone.

After that quarter WOW immediately went up to 10M subs again.
    Other factors you did not take in account. New x pac they really can not push one of them out every mo. People were in the annual pass and should be out of it now.

Also there is no denying they lost 24% of their player base from 2011 and 2012.

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 06:00 PM ----------

I mean for you personally.

What if everything you hope for doesn't happen and WoW simply succeeds and is completely fine for a few more years, along with still having a TON of subscribers.
    What if Blizzard makes me the CEO of blizzard ?

Anyways the thread is not what does the sub number mean to me so stop trying to derail it.
    Last edited by But I Hate You All; 2013-02-03 at 02:02 AM.

Mechagnome
    I think we should all agree, if the subscription numbers go up by 100-200k we should all make a forum post named "WoW is going strong it will never die!!!" and "WoW subs RISING! maybe it will keep going up as fast as the world population"

just me 2 cents

It will be 8-8.5mill in my opinion and it should keep going down, the game is currently not fun its been practically the same for 8 years and it is finally getting boring for a lot of ppl. I believe games like swtor and rift can provide the same entertainment wow provides if not more but ppl are so hooked with wow that they wont give those games a chance, anyways i am done with wow for good, i play games for entertainment and wow doesnt provide it...

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    I think we should all agree, if the subscription numbers go up by 100-200k we should all make a forum post named "WoW is going strong it will never die!!!" and "WoW subs RISING! maybe it will keep going up as fast as the world population"

just me 2 cents
    tbh id rather people just learn to shut up about subs and play the game if they like it and shut up and leave if they dont. to many people quit the game then linger on longer than they need to

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    It will be 8-8.5mill in my opinion and it should keep going down, the game is currently not fun its been practically the same for 8 years and it is finally getting boring for a lot of ppl. I believe games like swtor and rift can provide the same entertainment wow provides if not more but ppl are so hooked with wow that they wont give those games a chance, anyways i am done with wow for good, i play games for entertainment and wow doesnt provide it...
    not fun for you. still fun for tons of other people.

do you know that over 30 million players have quit wow and never came back? the vast majority of wow players havent been around for 8 years
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Other factors you did not take in account. New x pac they really can not push one of them out every mo. People were in the annual pass and should be out of it now.

Also there is no denying they lost 24% of their player base from 2011 and 2012.[COLOR="red"]

[.
    It is quite evident that the D3 launch had a huge impact. Excluding this launch the last 3 quarters stood at 10.3, 10.2 and 10+ million (up from 9.1 due to MoP).

Also 2012 was the most challenging year for WOW for 5 reasons:

- Launch of SW TOR (some expected 2 to 3 million WOW sub losses from those 10.3 million at the end of 2012).
    - Launch of its own Diablo 3 game.
    - Launch of GW2 that would even take top 1 positions (or so they thought) as it has no subs ...
    - Free to play as the NEW standard in almost everything else that had an MMORPG name on it (WoT, the old games, etc...)
    - Non MMO games that are free to play.

So what did we see AFTER all this green grass has been published and spread ?

We'll see it in just a few days. But if WOW is still at 10M + subs after ALL the above, I reckon you're in for a new hobby...as a WOW hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    No, it doesnt matter period, you are not an investor
    You sure ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18