Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    You should apply for the job as moderator :P
    Can tell if you're sarcastic or not bud :P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I think Rift has a few hundred thousand subscribers.

    They don't have as many as you'd think.

    Last I heard, which was a year ago and discounts the fact some may have come back to Rift for the Expansion and what not, Rift had about 300k+ subscribers.
    Actually a few hundred thousand is actually what i do believe rift has. IT's just fun proving benbos wrong.

  3. #103
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Actually a few hundred thousand is actually what i do believe rift has.
    Yeah.

    I'm surprised Rift is still subscriber based to be honest.

    It's a very good game but it doesn't have the huge numbers you'd expect for a subscription based MMO to be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Sorry but I never derailed anything.

    I just said that WoW had 10.000.000 subscriptions in 2008

    And by now WoW is the only one with these same number of subs while 95% of the competion went free to play with most of the things on life support.

    So good luck for the usual haters to discuss the "millions" of WoW while most of the rest stand now at ... ZERO subs... That's 0.000.000

    We won
    You never derailed anything?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Rift crumbled to 8 US servers (coming from 57). That's a 16 k concurrent users max.

    I think if these guys have 80k left that they'll crawl to Rome on their knees to thank the Pope.

    Nah, all of these competitors to WoW subscriptions that WANTED TO GET TO THE MONEY all went free to play in modest survival mode over the last 4 years.

    We won
    What about this? What does Rift have to with predicting the sub numbers for the next conference call?

  5. #105
    Because someone mentioned Rift, as a competitor in the subscription branche.

    I wanted to point out that my analysis of subscription based games was correct. And that while WoW kept its approx 10 M subs from 2008 to 2013 the rest crumbled to 600k total coming from 2M in 2008.

    All the rest is free to play in order to survive.



    Pretty clear I explained it all. And a rift fan wanted to talk and promote his game, so I expained to him his sub based game went from 57 US servers to 8 in just 2 years time, as an example of how bad things worked out for sub based games...

    Grow up: you are discussing the millions of WoW while most of the rest stands at 0.000.000 subs ...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-03 at 12:11 AM.

  6. #106
    I say 9.5M, and declining from there. Definitely below 10M.

  7. #107
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Hehe the irony, because when numbers go up, people dont say anything or dont even care. If they drop, everyone and thier mother goes insane and open up atleast 5 to 6 threads on that particular week. Then when the call is about to come again in a few months, the cycle repeats, this same thread pops every 3 / 4 months.
    Not true!
    If the numbers go up, people will open multiple threads where they:
    a) Accuse them of lying.
    b) Claim that it are all Chinese people and how they aren't "real players"
    c) Claim it are mostly bots.
    d) Attack Blizzard for making a promotion that got a lot of people back.

    I didn't make those things up, it all happened before =(

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Because someone mentioned Rift, as a competitor in the subscription branche.

    I wanted to point out that my analysis of subscription based games was correct. And that while WoW kept its approx 10 M subs from 2008 to 2013 the rest crumbled to 600k total coming from 2M in 2008.

    All the rest is free to play in order to survive.



    Pretty clear I explained it all. And a rift fan wanted to talk and promote his game, so I expained to him his sub based game went from 57 US servers to 8 in just 2 years time, as an example of how bad things worked out for sub based games...
    No-one mentioned Rift until you posted about it.

  9. #109
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    I say 9.5M, and declining from there. Definitely below 10M.
    What happens if it's not and it's on a study rise from 10 million?

    What if by the end of Mists the subscriber base is around 12 million again?

    And don't say "It won't" because neither of us know it will or not.

    Because I know you vehemently dislike WoW, Killidan. I'm just curious as to what happens if you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  10. #110
    Prediction: massively down. Normal/Heroic raiding population cut in half, gearing from LFR is like pulling teeth, Blizzard sticking their heads in the sand about the absurd time investment needed for multiple characters.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

    And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

  11. #111
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Prediction: massively down. Normal/Heroic raiding population cut in half, gearing from LFR is like pulling teeth, Blizzard sticking their heads in the sand about the absurd time investment needed for multiple characters.
    But they're not.

    They keep listening to feedback and adding more changes that, for the most part, the community agrees with and say "Hey this makes the daily grind and alt unfriendliness much better."
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    What happens if it's not and it's on a study rise from 10 million?

    What if by the end of Mists the subscriber base is around 12 million again?

    And don't say "It won't" because neither of us know it will or not.

    Because I know you vehemently dislike WoW, Killidan. I'm just curious as to what happens if you're wrong.
    It is not going to be 12 million, there is no way Blizzard would have kept quiet about what would be a miraculous turn around. If the subs remain at 10 million it is slightly disappointing but nothing to worry about.

  13. #113
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It is not going to be 12 million, there is no way Blizzard would have kept quiet about what would be a miraculous turn around. If the subs remain at 10 million it is slightly disappointing but nothing to worry about.
    We don't know that.

    For all we know, Blizzard could introduce as a feature servers that cater to specific expansions.

    That could cause a surge.

    Or finally finding a balance between the casuals and hardcore.

    You can't know that and neither can I.

    Hell the amount of subscribers for WoW could actually stay at 10 million for 20 years.

    If that honestly happened, I'd laugh my ass off.

    And why would it be disappointing if WoW is still successful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Where do you see those numbers?
    Go to class.xfire.com and find the appropriate chart.

    http://classic.xfire.com/games/#

    (click to sort by rank)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  15. #115
    i wouldnt be suprised if it lost some of the more pvp focussed players, and some crybabies who over did the amount of dailies they can handle.
    but overall the general tone of people im playing with is very positive, so i wouldnt really expect a significant drop. think its rather stable

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    What happens if it's not and it's on a study rise from 10 million?

    What if by the end of Mists the subscriber base is around 12 million again?

    And don't say "It won't" because neither of us know it will or not.

    Because I know you vehemently dislike WoW, Killidan. I'm just curious as to what happens if you're wrong.
    If that would happen ... I mean if these subs would stay around the 10.000.000 mark, it would be a HUGE blow to the competition really.

    Because 2012 was THE year to break the WoW hegemony with 2 of the most ridiculous hyped up MMO's since 2008.

    In fact it would put the industry in its underpants that an 8+ year old game would dominate the complete subscription based industry.

    If you would have said this in ... 2007... No one would have believed you that an 8 year old game would still dominate this lucrative subscription market.

    Hell, even COD dropped its Elite subscriptions recently ...

    Awesome really.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    We don't know that.

    For all we know, Blizzard could introduce as a feature servers that cater to specific expansions.

    That could cause a surge.

    Or finally finding a balance between the casuals and hardcore.

    You can't know that and neither can I.

    Hell the amount of subscribers for WoW could actually stay at 10 million for 20 years.

    If that honestly happened, I'd laugh my ass off.

    And why would it be disappointing if WoW is still successful?
    Oh c'mon we do know that. Increasing the subscriber base by 20% is absolutely amazing there is no way that Blizzard, or any other company in their position, would keep this quiet.

    If subs have remained steady after two of the biggest opportunities to increase them, in the form of Christmas and a Chinese expansion launch, then it is disappointing. This does not take away from the fact that WOW is successful and will remain so for years to come.

  18. #118
    Bloodsail Admiral Giants41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York, United States of America
    Posts
    1,067
    I would say 9 million if i had to bet. This is a complete guess.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

  19. #119
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Oh c'mon we do know that. Increasing the subscriber base by 20% is absolutely amazing there is noway that Blizzard, or any other company in their position, would keep this quiet.

    If subs have remained steady after two of the biggest opportunities to increase them, in the form of Christmas and a Chinese expansion launch, then it is disappointing. This does not take away from the fact that WOW is successful and will remain so for years to come.
    You didn't answer my question.

    I'm still confused as to how them getting more subs or having the same number of subs is disappointing.

    Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  20. #120
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It is not going to be 12 million, there is no way Blizzard would have kept quiet about what would be a miraculous turn around. If the subs remain at 10 million it is slightly disappointing but nothing to worry about.
    Wait.. Not losing any subs is disappointing?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •