Deleted

Transporting a computer tower

So, I'm moving to a Uni campus in September and I need advice for transporting my mid-tower gaming rig.

Traveling on my own isn't an option since I've got a fair amount of stuff to bring, and I've had nothing but bad experiences with shipping companies so I refuse to go with one, even if they have a decent reputation. I imagine I'll be able to get a lift to the Uni, about a 4/5 hour drive, and I was wondering what the best way to transport the computer is.

Would the best Idea simply be to strap the PC into a seat or in the boot (Making sure it is held down dsomehow, ofc) or is there a more contrived way of doing it that may or may not be a better idea?

Any sort of input on traveling with something like a mid-tower PC is appreciated, I imagine some of you would have made this sort of trip before.

Thanks
    Desp

10+ Year Old Account
    Strapping the PC into a seat or sitting in the boot with some kind of padding, like pillows is a great idea.

Just make sure everything is sitting correct when you arrive to your campus, I've had one of my friends have his cooler pop off during a trip to Dreamhack
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    So, I'm moving to a Uni campus in September and I need advice for transporting my mid-tower gaming rig.

Traveling on my own isn't an option since I've got a fair amount of stuff to bring, and I've had nothing but bad experiences with shipping companies so I refuse to go with one, even if they have a decent reputation. I imagine I'll be able to get a lift to the Uni, about a 4/5 hour drive, and I was wondering what the best way to transport the computer is.

Would the best Idea simply be to strap the PC into a seat or in the boot (Making sure it is held down dsomehow, ofc) or is there a more contrived way of doing it that may or may not be a better idea?

Any sort of input on traveling with something like a mid-tower PC is appreciated, I imagine some of you would have made this sort of trip before.

Thanks
    Desp
    hey! ive done it 2-3 times in past and let me tell you its not like ur computer is not gonna get destroyed they resist alot just put ur comp into a a box with covered with anything will do dont worry

Another option is, Strip the PC down. Mainly, the CPU Cooler (If air cooled), remove the vid card, and RAM sticks, along with any mechanical HDD's you have, and pack them in your bags, securely, with plenty of soft clothing / padding to avoid injury to them. Anti-static bags are recommended with this method. This allows for the tower itself to be stored in more places (trunk for example) without worry of damage to the components. I've used this method for years, and it works well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    Another option is, Strip the PC down. Mainly, the CPU Cooler (If air cooled), remove the vid card, and RAM sticks, along with any mechanical HDD's you have, and pack them in your bags, securely, with plenty of soft clothing / padding to avoid injury to them. Anti-static bags are recommended with this method. This allows for the tower itself to be stored in more places (trunk for example) without worry of damage to the components. I've used this method for years, and it works well.
    Are anti static bags re-usable? I've still got the ones from when I got the computer parts last year. They're cheap, I know, but every little helps, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Having lugged my computers around over the years, lan parties, road trips, etc... Just lay it on it's side (motherboard up) with a little cusjioning. If you have a big/unstable heatsink, it might be worthwhile to disconnect that for the trip and reattach (new thermal paste too!) after.

Computers both love, and hate, car trips. SOmetimes a computer that wont post just needs a car trip (the minor vibrations effectively 'reseat' things). But also sometimes those same vibrations may loosen something. If it doesnt post after the trip, don't freak out. Just reseat everything (mainly GPU, RAM, and power cables)

yep, you can re-use them. I've the same bags I used from my build 2 yrs ago, and have moved 3 times. No issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    and pack them in your bags, securely, with plenty of soft clothing / padding to avoid injury to them. Anti-static bags are recommended with this method.
    Required. REQUIRED. Do not put parts in clothing/blankets without antistatic bags. Period. I personally wouldn't unhook everything to move, however it isn't a 'bad' idea per se. JUst unnecessary, IMO.

Deleted
    OP any chance you got the box of the case? else blanket + backseat works fine aswell unless there's unstable coolers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    OP any chance you got the box of the case? else blanket + backseat works fine aswell unless there's unstable coolers.
    I've got the box yeah, I was thinking about using that. The only problem is, the box is a few inches wider/longer than the case itself since it has room for padding. I'll have to check, but it may be too big to effectively strap into a back seat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    I've got the box yeah, I was thinking about using that. The only problem is, the box is a few inches wider/longer than the case itself since it has room for padding. I'll have to check, but it may be too big to effectively strap into a back seat.
    One word. Bubble wrap.

Well suppose that's two words actually! But if you wrapped your pc in the bubble wrap and stuffed it in the case box, it'd be bullet proof. You could literally throw it around and not damage it.

10+ Year Old Account
    lay it down on it's side and secure it, the last thing you want is a tower heatsink or GPU breaking because you went over a speedbump too fast

I've traveled with my PC in a suitcase on a ferry and had no issue with it. They are quite robust things, and as long as you check and re-seat all the components everything should be ok

I would take the graphics card and, if you use one, the tower cooler out of the pc. Put them in the original packaging they came with. Secure the case in the car, if it won't go on the back seat, secure it with the motherboard facing upwards in the boot (trunk for you Americans) with a couple of pillows under it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I did exactly what you're doing now last August when I moved to uni. I just wrapped my desktop (which is very large) up in a large towel and put it in the boot. No damage or malfunction whatsoever. I've moved it like that five or six times now and never had any problems. Unless you're planning on driving on very bumpy roads or have your components secured very flimsily I wouldn't say you have much to be worried about.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

I always just sit mine on the floor of a back seat in my truck. The two seats are close enough to keep it from tipping, and really that's all I've ever been concerned with. I've brought it on about a dozen 6-hour trips like this and nothing's ever come loose or broken on it. The seat could be a better option since it's better padded as-is, but make sure it's strapped in well. If it falls forward off the seat something could definitely break.

Deleted
    I just put mine on its side on the back seat. Never had problems. As long as the computer is not running it is really not that easily broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    lay it down on it's side and secure it, the last thing you want is a tower heatsink or GPU breaking because you went over a speedbump too fast
    Oh I thought I did this one day hitting a dip in the road I couldn't see. Almost had a heart attack at the thought of my 680 graphics card snapping off the socket.
    From then on I remove the graphics card and keep it in its own box that I slide under the seat so it won't slide around the floor.

Definitely lay it down, so that the motherboard is parallel to the boot of the car, so that the CPU and RAM are sitting on top nicely.

It's best to take the GPU out (and put it in the original box if you have it).

Depending on your CPU cooler, it might also be a good idea to take that off. The default intel cooler shouldn't matter, but anything much bigger than that could rip the motherboard apart (thinking of noctua dh-14 in particular).

Might want to unseat all of the RAM and anything else that you left in there, so that it's fully re-seated. I'd check some of the screws as well, as it's a several hour trip ( and with no idea on how good the road is, or your car... )
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

I've driven across country twice with mine, just throw it in the trunk and give it a once over when you get to your destination.