Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm applying to some REUs and picking them out is fucking stressful.

I'm also supposed to be going to this physics conference in March and lol...making the plans for hotels and registering and shit is ....
    Lol I went to the conference I mentioned yesterday. Was sick.

Oh also I got into my REU of choice today lol.

Looking for new friends. I asked my old friends for ideas on how to serve my landlord since we have tech beef and they weren't helpful at all. PM me. (I'm very serious.)

Got some new videos for you guys.

The Great Debate: THE STORYTELLING OF SCIENCE:

Featured: Science educator Bill Nye, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, theoretical physicist Brian Greene, Science Friday's Ira Flatow, popular science fiction writer Neal Stephenson, executive director of the World Science Festival Tracy Day, and Origins Project director Lawrence Krauss.

This is part 1 so check out part 2 aswell (which is highly entertaining.)

2013 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: The Existence of Nothing:

MODERATOR: Neil deGrasse Tyson.
    PANELISTS: J. Richard Gott, Jim Holt Lawrence Krauss, Charles Seife and Eve Silverstein.

I have already posted the last 2 debates but this recent one is my favorite.

Richard Dawkins at University of Pennsylvania March 12, 2013:

Lecture by Richard Dawkins about his recent book aswell as other stuff. Don't stop watching when he says that the book is targeted for young people, it's still very interesting and educational!
    Last edited by CaptainCakepie; 2013-04-20 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post
    videos
    Cheers mate! Good finds, time to watch.
    Last edited by xxxdeletexxx; 2013-04-20 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Politicus View Post
    Cheers mate! Good finds, time to watch.
    You're welcome! No one had posted anything for a month, so I wanted to liven it up a little. ^^

Watched The Great Debate: THE STORYTELLING OF SCIENCE Parts 1 and 2, I would definitely recommend everyone watch those, some nice stuff is covered, and you'll get a few laughs out of it. (Someone gets Dr. Tyson started)

Here's Part 2:

Currently watching: Climate Change- Surviving the Future (I've not yet gotten that much in-depth about climate change, so starting to do so is a good thing!)
    Part 1:

Part 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Politicus View Post
    snip
    Thanks for sharing. ^^ I haven't really educated myself much on Global Warming either so it was an interesting watch. I think it's an important point though what the british guy points out; when the scientists argue whether the elephant in the room is high or very high, the media and the politicans will see it as doubt and uncertainty. And they think that it's not clear whether there's even an elephant in the room at all.

Also, the engineer seemed to be the most educated out of them all. While the others pointed out how bad it is and it will take a thousand years for the earth to cool down again, the engineer was talking about how we can revert back all the damage. Very interesting to hear him talk.

Agreed on the British guy and engineer guy part, and I definitely think those two videos should be watched by everyone, climate change deniers and affirmers alike.

Now the only problem is getting politics to reflect the views of the scientific community.

Rather than people who aren't scientifically literate and have no clue about why climate change would be true/not true and are just basing it off of what their parents and friends say. (which applies to many other aspects in politics...sadly)

Watched the 2013 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: The Existence of Nothing:
    That was pretty fucking epic.

And here's an interesting video: (warning: religion)

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 01:10 PM ----------

Last edited by xxxdeletexxx; 2013-04-21 at 04:36 AM.