Question Is the game really dying?

Quite honestly, I really like SWTOR. I personally felt WoW was getting stale, and SWTOR was a breath of fresh air.. But I keep hearing that it was dying due to how it went F2P... Would everyone say that it's true that it's dying ? I mean, I honestly hate to play an MMO that's surrendering, because that's just like paying for a sub for Aion, and it went f2p later anyway. It just makes me feel like if I get a lvl 50, my efforts are invalidated by the f2p aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what you're saying is that you only play games that the masses approve of? stop being a sheep and play what you like to play and have fun.
    Here come the Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by xilc View Post
    Quite honestly, I really like SWTOR. I personally felt WoW was getting stale, and SWTOR was a breath of fresh air.. But I keep hearing that it was dying due to how it went F2P... Would everyone say that it's true that it's dying ? I mean, I honestly hate to play an MMO that's surrendering, because that's just like paying for a sub for Aion, and it went f2p later anyway. It just makes me feel like if I get a lvl 50, my efforts are invalidated by the f2p aspect.
    It all depends on YOUR definition of "dying" "dead" "surrending" in terms of a game, specifically an MMO. I think there's a ton of good MMOs that could really offer a breath of fresh air to people if they just gave it a chance. Sadly (I'm included) most people don't want to invest time into something that may (internally) be close to shutting down.

The one thing I will say (granted it already has paid for itself and didn't cost anywhere near something like ToR did to make) UO is coming up on like 16 years I think, that never peaked past ~300k subs (at roughly ~150k subs now, most being multiple accounts probably) and they are STILL charging the same subscription they were back in '97, still releasing content, etc.
    Last edited by alturic; 2013-02-03 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillFeral View Post
    So what you're saying is that you only play games that the masses approve of? stop being a sheep and play what you like to play and have fun.
    No, what I'm saying is that I'd like to play a game that won't end up dying soon after, such as Aion did. That would be completely pointless for me to subscribe and play, only for it to become 100% f2p months later.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Sadly (I'm included) most people don't want to invest time into something that may (internally) be close to shutting down.
    See? Someone else understands my thinking exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by xilc View Post
    No, what I'm saying is that I'd like to play a game that won't end up dying soon after, such as Aion did. That would be completely pointless for me to subscribe and play, only for it to become 100% f2p months later.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 02:39 AM ----------

See? Someone else understands my thinking exactly.
    So you basically answered your own question, no? You consider Aion "dead" because it went F2P I'm assuming or am I out of the gaming loop?

Here's the sad part though xilc, if we always stick with that mentality on the hopes no-one else has our mentality there's a very good chance you WILL miss out on a game that you might enjoy better than X game. It's a slippery slope, I've never "lost" (see: banned/hacked/deleted/game shut-down) any of my virtual items, but if you don't give a game a chance you never will potentially lose those items either. :P

Realistically, what do you have to lose? The game is F2P as restricted as the F2P might be it still gives you a chance to hop in, see if you like it, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    TOR is not dying because it went F2P. If you want to use how many are playing the game to determine whether or not TOR is dying then... Well TOR has been dying since January of 2012? TOR isn't dead as long it still gets supported and updated, no matter how poorly, plus people still play it.

BioWare made a game that didn't keep me interested for long. Didn't keep most of the folks who bought it interested for long enough, it seems. However, over two million bought the game within the first few months and, last I heard, hundreds of thousands are still playing.

So is TOR dying? Nah... F2P gave it a new lease on life.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Dying since it went F2P lol? It surely was dying before that but not now when so many new people come in and try the game thanks to F2P. Will it last and how long? Nobody knows. But at the moment the game's not dying

From how I personally experienced SWTOR.

When it launched it was hyped. Of course it was, how could it not. Plenty of people I know subbed for 3 month after the free first month in an instant. So then came the time when the game was well played by many, you could always find groups for questing or dungeons on your server, all nice and smooth for about two months.
    Then, when most people had reached max level and went into hard mode dungeons, raids, PvP or did dailies, I suddenly felt all too reminded of WoW in a way. It was all the very same with a different paint coat, and with one major issue: there was so very little of it. And the more I played it, the more I felt like it was not very well made, not very well executed. The content they produced over several years became stale after the first 3 months into the game; I chose not to sub again for this reason.

However I observed what happened to the game. Server merges due to uttlerly empty servers; my first server, which doesn't even exist anymore, had 2 or 3 people playing per faction at peak times. I hear from friends after the merges the remaining servers had like 100 - 150 active people at peak times by november 2012, which, let's be honest, isn't that good either.

And most recently I chose to have a look at what's up in SWTOR now that it's F2P and guess what. I find that they literally raped my account - credits reduced to a ridiculous maximum, items vanished or unusable, you can only use one bar to play, you cannot have more than 2 (I think) characters, and much much more. There'a a limitation to how many dungeons or battlegrounds you can so, how ridiculous is that? On top of that, there wasn't much content added to it, it still was almost the same tiny world was before. One year later and you find everything in ruins; nice job.
    To be honest, I was so overwhelmed that I didn't take it all in and I was never in a mood to get into a full listing of what they did. Nevertheless, after I realized what they had done with my (real) money, in one swift movement I closed the game program and removed it from my hard disk as well as from my backup drives. This game will never be played again; I call that damage limitation.

From this day on I felt cheated, as in being stabbed from behind by a friend. Of course I'm not as naive as to think of EA or Bioware as a playground friend, but as a company you don't do this to the people you want money from. You just don't, it goes against everything that's sane. For me this game is already far beyond death. It doesn't exists anymore. Shame on EA and Bioware for doing that to Star Wars; it didn't have to be this way.

If I'd have to evaluate it from a more distanced point of view, I'd not say the game is dead. I'm sure there are people who enjoy playing it to the day. I'd just say that it isn't really worth playing, especially not if you plan to stick with the F2P model.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2013-02-03 at 04:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closed.

Nothing good will come of this, and if left alone it has a very high chance of escalating. There are plenty of other threads to discuss the current state of SWTOR, but of course, please keep the discussion productive.