10+ Year Old Account

Advice on computer programming

Hello guys. I am looking to supplement my education a bit to increase my job opportunities. I was thinking about learning more about programming and pursuing a degree doing that. It was always a great hobby of mine when I was in college but my ultimate degree choice was what amounted to computer repair and electrical repair. However I spent most of my time with computers there and learning as much as I could outside of my degree.

So from more experienced people would you recommend programming or computer sciences or something related to those as a way of increasing my job prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Computer Science (Bachelor's of Science) requires a lot of math/physics. I'd recommend Information Technology over CS if you like more of the hardware/software configurations.

I personally am doing a double degree: B.S. in IT, B.A. in Computer Science.
    Last edited by coolflame; 2013-02-03 at 03:45 AM.

Network Systems Administration. The only way you'll ever be out of a job is if someone sets off an EMP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really love math and physics especially. I wouldn't have any issues with a degree that concentrates on hardware, but programming has always been a subject i wanted to learn more about and get into if possible.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I'm currently studying computer science and know people who have already graduated and in my part of the the world (Britain) it's not hard getting a job at all in the computing field.

Programming is awesome, it's the best part of my degree. If you're willing to put a little time into it, I would recommend starting off with either Java, C# or Python, all great languages used widely in the industry and have their own merit but aren't excessively difficult as some other languages. Slowly build up your knowledge about object orientation and get to grips with programming, you can use projecteuler.net as a way of testing your progress and maybe take on a small project, try and make it something fun that you're interested in otherwise you'll get bored. One example is my friend built an android application that scans products to track all the food he ate and have the information display graphically both on the app and a website he built.

After you've done that I would HIGHLY recommend learning some SQL, it is incredibly useful and important for developing databases. I personally hate it but still have to know about it for me to get a decent job. I wouldn't say it's a difficult language but it's one of those things that once you get it, it becomes easier. Sadly I still haven't 'gotten it' yet haha.

Finally if you have some interest in web development, you could go on to learn more about HTML, CSS, PHP, MYSQL(not massivly different from SQL), XML and understand industry standard applications like WordPress and Joombla.

I apologies if I came across as being condescending but I wasn't sure where you were at with your programming skills, I wish you the best of luck mate

Programming is one of the better fields for employment probability. As well it is rather easy to learn if you can't go to school, all you need is to download a compiler and code code code! Of course there's a lot more to it, but if you learn the basic data structures and algorithms you pretty well know all the languages already.

I recommend picking up Visual Studio 2010 C#, Java, and PHP/Javascript. From C# (easy to learn while giving you good control) you can go on to learn the almighty C/C++ which is pretty dominant and much more efficient, although much more difficult. I'm not an expert on Java or PHP but I've heard they're popular for games and internet applications, respectively. If you find it a great hobby to have and find yourself making projects in your own time, you will do well in the field. Side-projects and the like are great when applying for jobs in programming, although I don't think they can replace the powerful theoretical knowledge I mentioned earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    I'm currently studying computer science and know people who have already graduated and in my part of the the world (Britain) it's not hard getting a job at all in the computing field.

Programming is awesome, it's the best part of my degree. If you're willing to put a little time into it, I would recommend starting off with either Java, C# or Python, all great languages used widely in the industry and have their own merit but aren't excessively difficult as some other languages. Slowly build up your knowledge about object orientation and get to grips with programming, you can use projecteuler.net as a way of testing your progress and maybe take on a small project, try and make it something fun that you're interested in otherwise you'll get bored. One example is my friend built an android application that scans products to track all the food he ate and have the information display graphically both on the app and a website he built.

After you've done that I would HIGHLY recommend learning some SQL, it is incredibly useful and important for developing databases. I personally hate it but still have to know about it for me to get a decent job. I wouldn't say it's a difficult language but it's one of those things that once you get it, it becomes easier. Sadly I still haven't 'gotten it' yet haha.

Finally if you have some interest in web development, you could go on to learn more about HTML, CSS, PHP, MYSQL(not massivly different from SQL), XML and understand industry standard applications like WordPress and Joombla.

I apologies if I came across as being condescending but I wasn't sure where you were at with your programming skills, I wish you the best of luck mate
    Great info and not condescending at all. It has been a few years since I even attempted any programming so my knowledge is basic at best right now. But shouldn't be too hard for me to pick back up since I am a fairly quick learner. Really interesting read for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by coolflame View Post
    Computer Science (Bachelor's of Science) requires a lot of math/physics. I'd recommend Information Technology over CS if you like more of the hardware/software configurations.

I personally am doing a double degree: B.S. in IT, B.A. in Computer Science.
    Lies,.. i rarely do math,. that's what a calculator is for.
    There are multiple programming courses and implementations,..

if you want to get started on something get freepascal and lazarus - both free and you can easily learn the language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Cringe. Who needs to learn facts that's what google is for.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Calculus I-IV, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Discrete Math ... plenty of math to go around for CS majors.

For the OP, I'd just suggest taking up some programming with a software development emphasis if you're looking to supplement your education rather than get another degree. There's plenty of work for people with other skills who can program. Certain companies will offer certifications that can be put on a resume as proof that you can program. You'll be playing second fiddle to those with a B.S. though.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a couple of websites that offer free online classes from reputable schools and they have a decent little selection of classes for beginners.

https://www.edx.org/courses
    https://www.coursera.org/

The second one has more classes but in a wider variety of courses. I am taking the Intro to Comp Science and Programming from the first link which is offered from MIT's online classes. So I think this should be a good start for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    There are a couple of websites that offer free online classes from reputable schools and they have a decent little selection of classes for beginners.

https://www.edx.org/courses
    https://www.coursera.org/

The second one has more classes but in a wider variety of courses. I am taking the Intro to Comp Science and Programming from the first link which is offered from MIT's online classes. So I think this should be a good start for me.
    Can people from any country take the courses on edx? I'm going to study computer science in september and would love to get a head start. 12/hrs a week doesn't seem too much to be able to get a small start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    Can people from any country take the courses on edx? I'm going to study computer science in september and would love to get a head start. 12/hrs a week doesn't seem too much to be able to get a small start.
    I would assume you could. Im not 100%, just make your free account and sign up and see if it lets you.