1. #1

    Got help with a gaming build, just want a second opinion.

    Alright so I went to reddit and got advice on a gaming build, and to me it looks very solid. However, this will only be my second pc built, so I'd just like to ask as many questions as possible before spending my money.

    Here is the build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B9to . Let me know what you think, I want to make sure this computer will last me a while, and be strong for gaming. Thanks

    edit: Just to add, I'm trying to stay stock as long as possible (still don't feel comfortable overclocking). I'd also like to hopefully throw in a bluray burner at some point. However, my main focus at this point is gaming (especially wow and skyrim). Lastly, I realize I'm missing an ssd, but I can't really afford much higher than what I've set aside for this build, so I'll add one at a later point.
    Last edited by babykdog; 2013-02-03 at 05:05 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,518
    The system is good, however I think you'd be happier with this setup. The main changes are switching from the AMD to an Intel (The 3570K stock is better than the 8350, and overclocks better too). I changed the PSU and hard drive, nothing that modifies your build, really. I also downgraded your card slightly, to keep within the cost you posted. I personally feel (based off your gaming habits) that a 7870 Ghz is strong enough to run WoW and Skyrim very well. If you feel that you can swing an extra 50 bucks, go ahead and get the 7950. I'm currently running a worse card than the 7870, and can run WoW pretty much on Ultra.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $779.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 00:17 EST-0500)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The system is good, however I think you'd be happier with this setup. The main changes are switching from the AMD to an Intel (The 3570K stock is better than the 8350, and overclocks better too). I changed the PSU and hard drive, nothing that modifies your build, really. I also downgraded your card slightly, to keep within the cost you posted. I personally feel (based off your gaming habits) that a 7870 Ghz is strong enough to run WoW and Skyrim very well. If you feel that you can swing an extra 50 bucks, go ahead and get the 7950. I'm currently running a worse card than the 7870, and can run WoW pretty much on Ultra.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $779.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 00:17 EST-0500)
    What kind of difference can I expect between an i5-3570k and an AMD FX-8350? Also, would the 520w PSU be able to power more drives, and possibly a bluray burner if I ever decide to add those? Lastly, in your personal opinion, do you think the 7950 is worth the extra $50 over the 7870 (more oriented towards playing more demanding games in the future)?

    Thanks for all input so far!

  4. #4
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,518
    Quote Originally Posted by babykdog View Post
    What kind of difference can I expect between an i5-3570k and an AMD FX-8350?
    The difference is not HUGE per se, maybe 10% or so? But they're nearly the same cost. But when you overclock (which you planned on doing possibly anyway), there you will see a larger gap.

    Also, would the 520w PSU be able to power more drives, and possibly a bluray burner if I ever decide to add those?
    Yep. None of those things use much power, really.

    Lastly, in your personal opinion, do you think the 7950 is worth the extra $50 over the 7870
    That's really up to you. The 7870 is equivalent to the nVidia 660ti. I literally upgraded to the normal non-ti version about 3 months ago, which is about equal to the 7850. I couldn't be happier, really. I run WoW at Ultra pretty much. I have Skyrim, but haven't played it yet, but I know it'll play well. I may not be able to run those stupid 4K texture packs, but whatever. I Also didn't want to spend $2000 on a computer.

    If you can afford it easily? Go for it. I think you'll be happy with a 7870, but $50 isn't a TON of money, and the performance is certainly there. Notably, I've been seeing a lot of people recommend the 7870 XT (Also called LE, or Tahiti core), which is apparently a more powerful, very overclockable 7870, that can be as strong as a 7950 for cheaper. I think they're still hard to find, as the only one I can seem to find is the Powercolor one, with a single fan, and Powercolor is meh. I also don't have much research personally on these, so I can't recommend something I'm not familiar with. However people have been saying good things.

  5. #5
    Legendary! Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    6,602
    Same price as the 7870 GHz (granted no $20 rebate) but should perform very to the 7950, as mentioned above:

    Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT with Boost 2GB
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Windows 8 Security 2013 || AV-TEST Jan/Feb 2013

  6. #6
    difference between AMD and intel in skyrim and wow is quite noticeable. Especially in Skyrim. Based on the 2 games you play the most my suggestion on GPU would be a GTX660

  7. #7
    High Overlord Flobaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by babykdog View Post
    What kind of difference can I expect between an i5-3570k and an AMD FX-8350?
    Comparison between i5-3570K and FX-8350 on Anandtech

    WoW: 126.2; 91.5; +37.92%
    Skyrim: 237.1; 209.4: +13.23%
    Starcraft 2: 67.9; 47.9; +41.75%

    bold: i5-3570K, italics: FX-8350; all games in 1680x1050
    Last edited by Flobaer; 2013-02-03 at 09:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    27
    Not a bad setup.

  9. #9
    If I decided to completely forego overclocking, which of these three combos would you guys pick?

    intel 3570 +radeon hd 7870
    intel 3450 + radeon hd 7950
    intel 3450 + gtx 660 ti?

  10. #10
    Legendary! Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    6,602
    Quote Originally Posted by babykdog View Post
    If I decided to completely forego overclocking, which of these three combos would you guys pick?

    intel 3570 +radeon hd 7870
    intel 3450 + radeon hd 7950
    intel 3450 + gtx 660 ti?
    intel 3570 +radeon hd 7870 (XT if possible)

    I'd still get the K version CPU just because there is no point in limiting yourself unless the cost is much lower.
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Windows 8 Security 2013 || AV-TEST Jan/Feb 2013

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •