Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Evil slob brother - any advice?

I'm not really sure if this is a good place to wash my family's dirty laundry but since I'm out of ideas.. I guess I got nothing to lose either..

So anyway, I live with my parents, it's a big house and I pay my share of the bills. I can't move out either before I finish college which I'm about to start this year. The problem is that so does my brother.. only hes 28 and he's an egoistic jerk who only cares about himself. He has no intention of moving out as he doesn't work. Well, he organizes some parties or something and gets some pocket money so he can barely pay hes share of the bills (which is like $100-200 a month..) but he could never afford hes own place and doesn't want to.

My mom sees him as her little baby boy and lets him get away with anything. And here comes the problem.. since he doesn't work, he often stays up till 4-5 am or sometimes entire night, plays loud music, cooks and makes noises and drags hes skanky girlfriends at home. Needless to say, this is a huge problem and I cant really function without getting 7-8 hours of sleep.

And nothing really works. Talking to parents only results at worst in mom getting angry at me about saying such awful things about hes perfect baby boy and at best talking with him which does absolutely nothing. He just doesn't care. I've also tried talking him and keeping him up during day.. but even that doesn't work. If I make too loud noise then, it starts to bother my parents.

I'm out of ideas but I'll probably drop out of college if it goes on like this..

Pull pranks on him when he's out, make it intolerable for him to live there. i.e go off every 90's kids movie when the evil step parent comes in.
    Raaaa!

Deleted
    take a shit on his bed

act surprised

evil slob, egotistic jerk, skanky girlfriend ...

yea the problem's all his side ............

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I'm not really sure if this is a good place to wash my family's dirty laundry but since I'm out of ideas.. I guess I got nothing to lose either..

So anyway, I live with my parents, it's a big house and I pay my share of the bills. I can't move out either before I finish college which I'm about to start this year. The problem is that so does my brother.. only hes 28 and he's an egoistic jerk who only cares about himself. He has no intention of moving out as he doesn't work. Well, he organizes some parties or something and gets some pocket money so he can barely pay hes share of the bills (which is like $100-200 a month..) but he could never afford hes own place and doesn't want to.

My mom sees him as her little baby boy and lets him get away with anything. And here comes the problem.. since he doesn't work, he often stays up till 4-5 am or sometimes entire night, plays loud music, cooks and makes noises and drags hes skanky girlfriends at home. Needless to say, this is a huge problem and I cant really function without getting 7-8 hours of sleep.

And nothing really works. Talking to parents only results at worst in mom getting angry at me about saying such awful things about hes perfect baby boy and at best talking with him which does absolutely nothing. He just doesn't care. I've also tried talking him and keeping him up during day.. but even that doesn't work. If I make too loud noise then, it starts to bother my parents.

I'm out of ideas but I'll probably drop out of college if it goes on like this..
    I'd do wha i used to do to my brother when he would act like a douche.

Everytime hes being a dickwad with the music and shit, go throw the breaker.

Move out.

10char

Well your mother isn't going to see anything unless you drag them both into therapy or your brother finally does something she can't overlook. Hes a deadbeat and it will hit him sometime. most colleges have dorms, can't you move into one?

Instead of trying to bother him, try to make your mother bother him. staying up until 4am is fine, but if hes being too loud complain to your mother about it. Tell her the noise is the problem you're having and not your brother all together. that should may help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either your exaggerating grossly and you need to deal with it, or if you’re not, then your brother and parents are horrible, and you need to get out even if it means forgoing college (if it’s really as bad as you say). I don’t like telling people to forgo an education but if you aren’t going to be able to actually get one fully staying there anyway, then there is no point in tormenting yourself for however many months before you break down and leave anyway because you just can’t cope with the living conditions.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

find a BF/GF

move in with them

profit

if it's your parents house and they aren't doing anything then there's nothing that can be done

surely if he was THAT loud at night it would keep your parents up to?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Needless to say, this is a huge problem and I cant really function without getting 7-8 hours of sleep.
    Ear plugs. If you can stand such things they can help a bit with the noise.

Wear earplugs

I got up at 8am for class during college and the people living above me... I'm not sure they went to class.

They blasted their music and threw parties almost every night

I asked them to keep it quiet, they told me to F off and call the landlord.

I found some comfortable earplugs and it became much less of a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    evil slob, egotistic jerk, skanky girlfriend ...

yea the problem's all his side ............
    Obviously, I really hate him at this point after this going on for years But yes, the problems all come from him. I don't wish to paint myself as an angel but in this case, I can't really see any of it being my fault..

And he's GFs really are skanks, they dress slutty, don't work either and act like they own the place. Plus why would he possible drag like 4-5 different women home to stay with him over night, cook them food etc.?

Get a job, move out, go to college. The rest of us unprivileged folks do it this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Earplugs, or if you suspect any criminal activity your brother may be doing, get the cops on his butt. Sometimes it takes something truely drastic to change someone.

start being a slob just like him and do whatever you want

try going to bed early or in extreme cases take sleeping pills or smoke weed only when you need sleep

I don't understand why you'd rush college without having your own place first
    very stupid idea..especially knowing your brother is a slob...

Deleted
    Report him to Homeland Security as a terrorist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaldaim View Post
    Wear earplugs

I got up at 8am for class during college and the people living above me... I'm not sure they went to class.

They blasted their music and threw parties almost every night

I asked them to keep it quiet, they told me to F off and call the landlord.

I found some comfortable earplugs and it became much less of a problem.
    Tried that a few years ago. It sort of worked but I got a really bad ear infection from it so I'm cautious now.. and they don't block out the bass anyway.

Deleted

So anyway, I live with my parents, it's a big house and I pay my share of the bills. I can't move out either before I finish college which I'm about to start this year.
    and why exactly cant u just move out? really really cant find any valid reason for anyone over 15 for staying at ur parents (i understand its culturally very different in some places) but thats just an excuse

Obviously, I really hate him at this point after this going on for years But yes, the problems all come from him. I don't wish to paint myself as an angel but in this case, I can't really see any of it being my fault..

And he's GFs really are skanks, they dress slutty, don't work either and act like they own the place. Plus why would he possible drag like 4-5 different women home to stay with him over night, cook them food etc.?
    Dressing "slutty" and not working (curious how you're certain of this) doesn't make a person a skank. Just because you're mad at him doesn't mean you have to pretend anyone he knows is an awful human being.

Sabotage his equipment? Assuming he's not computer savvy, it shouldn't be too difficult to at least break his computer. Hit him where it hurts- his wallet.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.