Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trying to Enjoy WoW...

Alright, I played WoW until from early Vanilla to near the end of Cataclysm but really wasn't enjoying it much after the Deathwing raid came out. I've tried to play it and enjoy it a few times recently but I just can't. I'm in the Jade Forest and the first quests that I'm doing just don't seem fun, I feel constricted in an area.

I have one question regarding that, do things branch out after the like 20 initial quests? Reason being is I think that's why I'm not enjoying it, I like being free in WoW and that feeling isn't there.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Alright, I played WoW until from early Vanilla to near the end of Cataclysm but really wasn't enjoying it much after the Deathwing raid came out. I've tried to play it and enjoy it a few times recently but I just can't. I'm in the Jade Forest and the first quests that I'm doing just don't seem fun, I feel constricted in an area.

I have one question regarding that, do things branch out after the like 20 initial quests? Reason being is I think that's why I'm not enjoying it, I like being free in WoW and that feeling isn't there.
    They branch out a little yes, it is not totally linear, however finding other chains/hubs is pretty easy. But, my suggestion is if you seriously aren't enjoying it, I doubt it has anything to do with how the quests branch out. You, like me, and a lot of other people who stopped enjoying WoW, are probably just becoming too familiar with the game, it is old.
    Call me House.

Nope. Aside from being free to choose Valley of the Four Winds vs. Karasang Wilds after Jade Forest, everything is pretty much linear.

Most of the zones have a lot of different questlines that you can do at any time and not free constricted in that area. Look at your map and look for any the of quest symbols on there. Those are the start of new questlines.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

It did feel claustrophic in jade forest which is one of my least favorite zones, but wait till you get to kun-lai.

Overall you get a whole bunch at once and you can do them how you like but overall its still linear. Questing have been more fun in MoP than other expansions for me

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    however finding other chains/hubs is pretty easy.
    That's because the last quest from the previous hub takes you directly to the first quest of the next hub. It's pretty damn linear.

Yeah, questing changed ( for better or worse, that's subjective ) so you might not like it so much. Just level one character really fast to max and enjoy the end-game.

Yeah it starts off very linear, but after you get about halfway through the zone you can prettymuch choose which quest areas you want to pursue. You can hit the arboretum or the monastery or the orchard, or whatever else is left.

I feel your pain though, I leveled 10 characters to 80 in wrath, and 10 characters to 85 in cata, but i've only managed to get two to 90 in MOP and one of them was my monk that I fell in love with playing. I've tried to get my druid or hunter through jade forest and I just can't do it. It's too soul crushingly boring. Especially when you consider once you hit 90 you're kinda locked into the daily quest grind all over again.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

do yourself a big favor and take a break from playing WoW, and read the books. I have been playing since vanilla as well and was in the exact same boat as you. Did LFR Deathwing maybe twice and reflected on the game and was like "...fuck. this game blows now" Boy was I wrong

I have such an amazing newfound love for the game and really enjoyed taking my time leveling a draenei(have been Horde for 6.5years), and enthralling myself in the lore. It makes you actually care about the game. Almost as much as the feeling that you had when you first started playing WoW.

I have always been an avid PvP'r, and now that is so much more fun because I'm playing to have fun and enjoyment, NOT for KB's and to qq at afk'rs.

Make the game yours, and enjoy yourself. Why pay for any other reason?

P.S., IMO, read the books chronologically in Warcraft time. Rise of the Horde --> The Last Guardian for the first two

People are getting sick of wow because its an old game, all games get boring after awhile regardless of new content being released. I lost interest in raiding but i still pvp pretty often but im starting to lose interest in that also due to how unbalanced it is. You have to play the right class to get anywhere near a good rating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantricular View Post
    do yourself a big favor and take a break from playing WoW, and read the books. I have been playing since vanilla as well and was in the exact same boat as you. Did LFR Deathwing maybe twice and reflected on the game and was like "...fuck. this game blows now" Boy was I wrong

I have such an amazing newfound love for the game and really enjoyed taking my time leveling a draenei(have been Horde for 6.5years), and enthralling myself in the lore. It makes you actually care about the game. Almost as much as the feeling that you had when you first started playing WoW.

I have always been an avid PvP'r, and now that is so much more fun because I'm playing to have fun and enjoyment, NOT for KB's and to qq at afk'rs.

Make the game yours, and enjoy yourself. Why pay for any other reason?

P.S., IMO, read the books chronologically in Warcraft time. Rise of the Horde --> The Last Guardian for the first two
    I've read a few books, they are quite enjoyable (also fantasy is pretty much the only genre I enjoy).

I think part of my issue is that in Vanilla in BC, it was like as long as you were a high enough level for the zone just go wherever you want and quest. Another issue is I want to level up an alt without the god damn xp going faster than the zone, I don't use heirlooms or guild bonuses and it still goes by to fast. I would seriously enjoy it if that could change.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 02:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tapzer View Post
    People are getting sick of wow because its an old game, all games get boring after awhile regardless of new content being released. I lost interest in raiding but i still pvp pretty often but im starting to lose interest in that also due to how unbalanced it is. You have to play the right class to get anywhere near a good rating.
    Vanilla was highly unbalanced but it had a different feel so I guess it's different.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    I love wow i just cant get enough. But on topic yes it branches out. It's not like cata was you don't have to do every hub to advance the story you can pick and choose

10+ Year Old Account
    I am working on 2 or 3 alts at the moment, after grinding every quest in every zone up until Townlong and dread wastes on my main. I thought that Jade forest started very linear, but it was story driven. As horde, you start out fighting Hozen until you get their respect and become allies. Then you follow a story across the zone that -spoiler- leads to the sha erupting back into Pandaria. I was very impressed with the story, more so than Cata, though Cata had great senergy with Lore figures, it was the single most linear questing I had experienced in WoW. What I did with my alts was get them to Halfhill to get started with farming for mats. I use my main for motes, and alts for food stuff. Then I am slowly getting them leveled. I actually stopped going through the zones once I hit 90 on my main, and I am going back and finishing those zones.

If the OP is interested in gear, don't make my mistake, and stop at Townlong and Dread Wastes. You HAVE to do those zones for the Klaxxi and Shado Pan rep, or you cannot get any of the valor gear, thus making dailies trivial to complete.

I don't know yet having done the zones already, how the replay will be, so I am kinda dragging my feet, but I want to get certain classes to 90, none the less.

the first time i did the quests i liked the quests. i liked the story, but second time was boring as hell cuz i alrdy know the story.

you get some fun quests later on, but meh

10+ Year Old Account

I'm on the same boat as you, finally decided to return to the game after a 1 year break, but I just don't find it any fun at all.
    However I think my problem is mostly because 95% of my mates have also quit. Maybe you don't have anyone to play with and therefore you're bored?
    I have a bad feeling having maybe wasted 30 quid. .

----

To everyone else who are playing mists currently in this thread, is it even possible to play the game causually at max level? I have zero intentions going hardcore again because of university and have only an hour or two each day to play tops.
    Last edited by driftguy1234; 2013-02-03 at 04:10 PM.

[Black Vantage][Mobo: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe][CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz]
    [GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz][SSD: OCZ Agility 120GB]
    [HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB + 1TB Blue][Case: NZXT Switch 810][PSU: XFX Core Edition 750w][OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit]

Quote Originally Posted by driftguy1234 View Post
    To everyone else who are playing mists currently in this thread, is it even possible to play the game causually at max level? I have zero intentions going hardcore again because of university and have only an hour or two each day to play tops.
    Sure, why wouldn't we be able to? There are a lot more casual things to do at max level then any other expansion.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I'm on the same boat as you, finally decided to return to the game after a 1 year break, but I just don't find it any fun at all.
    However I think my problem is mostly because 95% of my mates have also quit. Maybe you don't have anyone to play with and therefore you're bored?
    I have a bad feeling having maybe wasted 30 quid. .

----

I used to play hardcore but now in Mist I'm playing the game casually with my friends. The thing that keep me playing the most is probably my 80 twinks. That's a whole different thing though and not 90 content. I would say if you like doing dailies and running LFR every other week, it's fine. Mostly it's just gearing your alts and doing the same daily quests over and over again. If it's bringing appeal to you, then go for it. If not, there is not much for casual 90's. Oh and pet battles are also there if you enjoy pokemon type games, but i wouldnt say it's worth to pay the sub fee for only that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'll give the level 90 content a go then before I make up my mind, thanks!

[Black Vantage][Mobo: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe][CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz]
    [GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz][SSD: OCZ Agility 120GB]
    [HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB + 1TB Blue][Case: NZXT Switch 810][PSU: XFX Core Edition 750w][OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit]

10+ Year Old Account

I regularly took breaks from WoW during Lich King and then stopped in Cata. Came back for the 10-day pass in 4.3 and again in MoP. I just can't seem to bear to look at the game. I think I have just lost the appeal for the whole "grind" type game. Even Rift gets less and less playtime as I muck around with other games. I like "new" stuff, not repetitive crap. If the team at Tera could sort out their security issues and let me actually "authorize" my account, I would love to try that.

Path of Exile is nice. Far Cry was the best game I have ever played to date. GW2 was a nice change of pace when it came out.

People lose interest in a game. I most certainly don't (for me) think MoP is worth 40 bucks and then 15 bucks sub.

I'm going to wait for them to do one of their desperate to get subs again SoR promotions and get the game for free and sub a month. I would like to see the storyline, dungeons, raids (lfr) "once" and see what all has changed as I have a fondness and a lot of memories on my druid, but aside from nostalgia, as far as graphics, general quality of game goes, people I know still playing, the game severely lacking and is just nothing like other single player games out there - my personal reason for not resubbing.

That depends on what you define casual, because it is a bad word that has 100 different meanings.

I play the game 6-8 hours a week, and majority of those are spent raiding, and I would call myself casual.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).