Deleted

Buying expensive things as F2P/Preferred Status player with 350k cap

My one-month sub just ran out and I'm giving F2P another try. One thing that bothers me is the 350k credit limit, even though I know it keeps cartel unlocks cheap, there are some things, mostly legacy unlocks, I just can't buy with 350k credits because they cost a million or more. Is there any way to go around this or is the best way to just buy another 1-month sub and dedicate a month to farming credits and unlock everything I want?
    Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2013-02-03 at 10:11 AM.

Pay the person in alternate currencies. My personal favourite is Mandalorian Iron.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    My one-month sub just ran out and I'm giving F2P another try. One thing that bothers me is the 350k credit limit, even though I know it keeps cartel unlocks cheap, there are some things I just can't buy with 350k credits because they cost a million or more. Is there any way to go around this or is the best way to just buy another 1-month sub and dedicate a month to farming credits and unlock everything I want?
    Find a subber to buy it, pay them from multiple toons. Since you're preferred, you can have 6 and since you can mail things, just use the other 5 as banks if you only have 1 toon.

Deleted
    Oh I should've been clearer on this. I was talking about legacy unlocks that cost more than 350k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by felix87 View Post
    If a legacy unlock costs more than the money you can have your just not supposed to unlock it with f2p
    I feel like there's a word missing but I think what you mean is that F2P is not supposed to unlock those things. But I can just pay for a month, unlock all legacy perks I want, and then go F2P after that month. I was just wondering if there's another way to do it, or generally how other people handle that issue.

OP: You're talking about legacy stuff like Ship GTN etc? There's no way to buy that as a nonsub. If you really want the higher cost legacies, you'd have to acquire the money and unlock them while you're still a sub. I don't know if BW will ever put the high end unlocks in the cartel market.

Deleted
    Yeah I was talking about that, and other stuff you can unlock in your legacy tab, mainly. Hmm, too bad.

Seeing as there goal was to limit F2P and preferred status players in various ways vs subbing, there are some legacy perks you will not have access to unless you buy them with cartel coins. You will not be able to buy them with in game credits.

Personally, I'm Ok with that since as a preferred status player, I'm not paying anything at all for the game at that point.

If you want rocket boots. Just buy them for a few dollars. You could buy a couple legacy perks a month and never reach $15 a subber pays.

It's no where perfect but it's not too bad either.

Deleted
    The prices of some of these Legacy unlocks are ridiculous anyway, even from subscriber point of view. Multiple multi-million unlocks for many functions, regardless if it makes sense or not. It's like they slapped "1 million! 2 million! 5 million!" on anything they could think of. You devote time to complete HK quest series but you need to pay 1 million to unlock him for other characters lol. Most want to have HK-50 throughout the leveling story and obviously, that's not possible with first character. So they create an alt just to be slapped with 1 million price point... And HK-50's gear doesn't even work at pre-50 stage. They haven't fixed this bug at all yet.

Rocket boots price is just a joke.

Field respecialization. Let's get this straight. Bioware puts a huge paywall on a function that otherwise, if available for everyone for free (and with the ability to save presets for 2-click respec), would encourage and allow people to perform multiple roles, switch when necessary and practically eliminate the problem of lack of healers and tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Seeing as there goal was to limit F2P and preferred status players in various ways vs subbing
    That wasnt why they said they were going F2P was it?

Thats what they are doing though because they want to milk what they can from everyone.

Some restrictions are expected for a F2P player but it shouldnt hurt them playing the game. Things like XP reduction and having to pay to wear gear isnt hepling people enjoy the game. Its either going to make people quit or buy coins. The old content from 1-50 was already made and no added developement is needed on it. If it truely made its money back and they really wanted people to resub they would have given that away for free since it doesnt cost them any moe to manage it.

Instead they are trying to nickle and dime all the F2P players early (the best part of the game) so that they make money from them before they realize what many other people have and quuit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by katta View Post
    Instead they are trying to nickle and dime all the F2P players early (the best part of the game) so that they make money from them before they realize what many other people have and quuit.
    The funniest part is that F2P will even have to pay to realize that since Operations and all epic gear is restricted from them lol

Quote Originally Posted by Harrus View Post
    The prices of some of these Legacy unlocks are ridiculous anyway, even from subscriber point of view. Multiple multi-million unlocks for many functions, regardless if it makes sense or not. It's like they slapped "1 million! 2 million! 5 million!" on anything they could think of. You devote time to complete HK quest series but you need to pay 1 million to unlock him for other characters lol. Most want to have HK-50 throughout the leveling story and obviously, that's not possible with first character. So they create an alt just to be slapped with 1 million price point... And HK-50's gear doesn't even work at pre-50 stage. They haven't fixed this bug at all yet.

Rocket boots price is just a joke.

Field respecialization. Let's get this straight. Bioware puts a huge paywall on a function that otherwise, if available for everyone for free (and with the ability to save presets for 2-click respec), would encourage and allow people to perform multiple roles, switch when necessary and practically eliminate the problem of lack of healers and tanks.
    All extremely true.

It's insane some of the prices things cost. Basically the only good thing about the cartel market is that legacy races are finally getting to be a more reasonable price.

1.5 million for a legacy race is insane, I bet no one ever actually buys it through legacy anymore, i'm surprised anyone did before the cartel market. 1 Million for a ungeared HK droid for leveling is also retarded. I will NEVER be able to afford the rocket boots let alone the upgrades unless I do dailies at infinite for well over 2 weeks without buying anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrus View Post
    Because dual-spec did that for WoW, right? That argument is a pure canard.

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 02:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Find a subber to buy it, pay them from multiple toons. Since you're preferred, you can have 6 and since you can mail things, just use the other 5 as banks if you only have 1 toon.
    By the by, Preferred (and so it follows, f2p) cannot mail credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    By the by, Preferred (and so it follows, f2p) cannot mail credits.
    Didn't know that. Easy work around. Put some piece of garbage on the GTN, buy it with your rich toon, rinse repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Didn't know that. Easy work around. Put some piece of garbage on the GTN, buy it with your rich toon, rinse repeat.
    I've never tried, but it's a safe bet players can't bid on an auctions posted by their own account. That's the way it is in WoW, and I see no reason BioWare would do any differently.

Anyway, it's conceivable to just send alts material goods instead of credits... but then you might as well just put them in your own cargo bay. It's not like there's a whole lot in this game that's worth saving.

Basically BioWare doesn't want people using their alts as banks to circumvent the credit limit cap.

15+ Year Old Account
    The most expensive unlocks are much better to buy with cartel coins, especially the GTN. It's like 5 million credits or ~800 cartel coins (don't remember exact number) which costs less than 1 month's sub, and good luck farming 5m creds in one month of sub time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nume View Post
    The most expensive unlocks are much better to buy with cartel coins, especially the GTN. It's like 5 million credits or ~800 cartel coins (don't remember exact number) which costs less than 1 month's sub, and good luck farming 5m creds in one month of sub time.
    Um...

The most "expensive" CC unlocks that a F2P account would want are sold under the 350k cap.
    I got both my artifact gear authorizations (the highest priced/valued unlock) for under 350k.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -