Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Well OP. Back in my college days I would have jumped on the offer (I'm a guy tho).

    Unless you are looking for a girlfriend/wife, you shouldn't be that gender specific. There are plenty of guys who can do and are willing to do (and probably do it themselves anyways) for what you are offering.

    I remember back in the day when I still used to share flats, my BEST EVER LIKE EVER room mate was a gay guy. He was ton of fun to hang out with and made a cozy little paradise out of the house. I almost cried when he moved back to Belgium. Also I learned like a ton of stuff from him from how to cook a wholesome healthy meal in under 30 minutes all the way to how to keep your bathroom fresh and pristine with little effort.
    Y U NO SIG?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Anyone with a job or going to school isn't going to be able to make you dinner every night. So, therein lies your problem, you need to pay them.

    <.<
    School isn't that time-consuming, especially not in university.

    How else would you explain people who almost have full-time jobs at the same time?

  3. #43
    So they will be paying you to be your maid? Right... Also, if you're going to say you're good looking I wouldn't post that picture.

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer Toffie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,750
    This... Is so awkward...

    Still awesome your fighting to protect us citizens, still doesn't make it less awkward to read :P
    Steam Big Picture Mode - 4570 - GA-H87N - MSI R9-290 - 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO
    Corsair 250D - Philips 55 LED TV - Corsair RM 550 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB

    4770K - EVGA 780 Ti SC- Corsair 350D - V700 - Gryphon Z87
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - Samsung 840 250GB - H60

  5. #45
    Epic! Tokru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The end of the rainbow
    Posts
    1,740
    Would you not be asking for rent in addition to all those services you might find someone.

  6. #46
    I suppose im wierd, or i dont have the same mindset as americans? I assume you are.
    But i would never do those things, to me it looks like you want a slave to boss around, clean this, wash this, make me dinner, come with me to the movies etcetc. And with the 300 dollars, untop of it. for 1 private room, + working. If there will be someone doing this for you, wich i suppose there will be since people dont share my opinion from the comments here >_< When is this person suppose to study? Atleast for me, i barely have time to do anything ontop of my studys.. But then 80% of people at the uni is still childern failing every class.

    Anyway im not trying to be rude, just suprised how people think this normal or accept it>_< Oooh well, one shall not judge another society, because its not the same as yours

    Now go forth.. Unleash the tides of Doom.. Upon all those.. who would oppose us.

  7. #47
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    I suppose im wierd, or i dont have the same mindset as americans? I assume you are.
    But i would never do those things, to me it looks like you want a slave to boss around, clean this, wash this, make me dinner, come with me to the movies etcetc. And with the 300 dollars, untop of it. for 1 private room, + working. If there will be someone doing this for you, wich i suppose there will be since people dont share my opinion from the comments here >_< When is this person suppose to study? Atleast for me, i barely have time to do anything ontop of my studys.. But then 80% of people at the uni is still childern failing every class.

    Anyway im not trying to be rude, just suprised how people think this normal or accept it>_< Oooh well, one shall not judge another society, because its not the same as yours
    Because doing laundry and light cleaning isn't that much work. It takes three hours of work a week, tops. Three hours of work and maybe a half hour a day for dinner - for almost no rent? That's an amazing deal. How long does it take you to do your laundry? I don't know how you treat housekeepers wherever you're from, but you can't get away with treating people like slaves here. Lots of people do this, they save a ton of money, get great grades, and still have time for their part-time jobs.

    I don't see anything wrong with working smart, not hard.

    Click Alexander and Cassima for the RuPaul's Drag Race [TV] Fan Thread!

  8. #48
    Warchief Letmesleep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Spooning you without your knowledge
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Anyway im not trying to be rude, just suprised how people think this normal or accept it>_< Oooh well, one shall not judge another society, because its not the same as yours
    Do you not read? Nearly every person who has entered this thread has said the original post is bizarre. Nothing about what he's asking for is normal. If you have a live-in maid, you pay them for their services. If you have a roommate, they pay you for the room they are renting. If you have a friend, they hang out with you and enjoy your interests. The OP is trying to combine all of those things into one and it makes no sense. This has nothing to do with cultures, nations, or anything like that.

  9. #49
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Do you not read? Nearly every person who has entered this thread has said the original post is bizarre. Nothing about what he's asking for is normal. If you have a live-in maid, you pay them for their services. If you have a roommate, they pay you for the room they are renting. If you have a friend, they hang out with you and enjoy your interests. The OP is trying to combine all of those things into one and it makes no sense. This has nothing to do with cultures, nations, or anything like that.
    I believe he's only addressing the idea of trading rent for a housekeeper, not all the wildly ambitious addons.

    Click Alexander and Cassima for the RuPaul's Drag Race [TV] Fan Thread!

  10. #50
    Uennie:
    We dont have housekeepers from where im from. That might be why that sounds like slave work.
    Also i think that is more than 3hours pr week, maybe 1hour pr day, or more even, since laundry takes 1+hour, as in get the clothes put it in, wait 1 hour (while you do something else), get them out into the dryer or hang them up (10min), then maybe go inside, remove plates, wash the bench, table, cook maybe 30min, remove the dishes, wash some more again. And then ontop of cleaning up from another person, you need to clean after yourself.
    And low rent? 300 is not low when you need to work, he should live their free or get paid to work while living there imo

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 01:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Do you not read? Nearly every person who has entered this thread has said the original post is bizarre. Nothing about what he's asking for is normal. If you have a live-in maid, you pay them for their services. If you have a roommate, they pay you for the room they are renting. If you have a friend, they hang out with you and enjoy your interests. The OP is trying to combine all of those things into one and it makes no sense. This has nothing to do with cultures, nations, or anything like that.
    I did, just got hooked up on people saying "sounds like a good deal". I thought the US was "cheap" place to live, with cheap food etc, etc. But if people think living with 1 private room + cleaning,makeing dinner etcetc for someone else + paying 300 is cheap, then i suppose my country is no longer the most expensive place to live >_<

    Now go forth.. Unleash the tides of Doom.. Upon all those.. who would oppose us.

  11. #51
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Uennie:
    We dont have housekeepers from where im from. That might be why that sounds like slave work.
    Also i think that is more than 3hours pr week, maybe 1hour pr day, or more even, since laundry takes 1+hour, as in get the clothes put it in, wait 1 hour (while you do something else), get them out into the dryer or hang them up (10min), then maybe go inside, remove plates, wash the bench, table, cook maybe 30min, remove the dishes, wash some more again. And then ontop of cleaning up from another person, you need to clean after yourself.
    And low rent? 300 is not low when you need to work, he should live their free or get paid to work while living there imo
    Well, it's not slave work. It takes two hours total to wash and dry clothes (because you're just chucking clothes in a washer and a dryer), ironing/folding only if required which is another hour. During the cycles you can do vacuuming and dusting. I don't know what a "bench" to you is, but it takes less than a minute to windex a table. Cooking takes maximum 30 minutes for a halfway decent meal and that includes cleaning as you go. How much of a mess do people where you live make in a single day? Do you guys eat massive meals and drop your socks and beer cans everywhere you go? Or are you as an individual horribly inefficient at cleaning? I can clean my entire home (two bedroom, one bath, living room, kitchen, verandah), do my laundry, walk the dog, feed the dog, and make dinner for four in less than four hours flat. And really, I only have to do that once a week. Making dinner and the dog is the only daily thing, but then I don't leave stuff everywhere.

    It also seems like you think people don't do anything for themselves despite having housekeepers, which they do. From my experience a lot of employers are happy to help you out or give you a break - without cutting into your pay. You make it sound like if you by chance did have a housekeeper, you'd treat them like hell.

    Here, $300 is low rent, it's insanely low rent.

    You say you're not passing judgment but I'm hearing a whole lot of judgment.

    EDIT: I'd also like to note that my significant other cleans even faster and better than I do. Two bedrooms, two bath, living room, kitchen, study, verandah, finished basement. He also cooks in half the time I do.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-02-03 at 12:58 PM.

    Click Alexander and Cassima for the RuPaul's Drag Race [TV] Fan Thread!

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Well, it's not slave work. It takes two hours total to wash and dry clothes (because you're just chucking clothes in a washer and a dryer), ironing/folding only if required which is another hour. During the cycles you can do vacuuming and dusting. I don't know what a "bench" to you is, but it takes less than a minute to windex a table. Cooking takes maximum 30 minutes for a halfway decent meal and that includes cleaning as you go. How much of a mess do people where you live make in a single day? Do you guys eat massive meals and drop your socks and beer cans everywhere you go? Or are you as an individual horribly inefficient at cleaning? I can clean my entire home (two bedroom, one bath, living room, kitchen, verandah), do my laundry, walk the dog, feed the dog, and make dinner for four in less than four hours flat. And really, I only have to do that once a week. Making dinner and the dog is the only daily thing, but then I don't leave stuff everywhere.

    It also seems like you think people don't do anything for themselves despite having housekeepers, which they do. From my experience a lot of employers are happy to help you out or give you a break - without cutting into your pay. You make it sound like if you by chance did have a housekeeper, you'd treat them like hell.

    Here, $300 is low rent, it's insanely low rent.

    You say you're not passing judgment but I'm hearing a whole lot of judgment.

    EDIT: I'd also like to note that my significant other cleans even faster and better than I do. Two bedrooms, two bath, living room, kitchen, study, verandah, finished basement. He also cooks in half the time I do.
    Well im trying not to judge anyone, i was just suprised by this post.
    And i agree 300 is extremly cheap for rent, but its not cheap (imo) if you have to work for a person ontop of that for 1 private room only. And as a student (wich is what he is looking for, since its close to the uni), i doubht he/she will have time to do much studys, or have any free time if he/she will do housework for someone.
    And for all you know, he will leave his socks on the floor, and make a mess, because he knows he does have a contract saying someone will do these things for him.
    I dont make a mess myself, i pay around 850 dollars for a very small flat.
    Also a bench i meant a "kitchen bench", where you cut vegitable or make coffe, or whatever.
    Anyway for me its, wake up>shower>uni>come home and make dinner>study> make evening meal>study and maybe have 1-2 hours of free time before i go to sleep and do the same thing next day. And that is not counting going to the store, cleaning the house, doing laundry. Hell i barely have freetime in the weekend because i have papers to write, to study and prepare, im drowing in studys. If i ontop of that was suppose to clean and make dinner for another person then that would be my day with 0 freetime.
    Also i wouldnt feel right to have a housekeeper, i even feel wierd when people treat my like im a king at a resturant, "want wine sir? pour some in the glass, "why dont you taste it and see if you like it sir". Or even as a simple putting a plate infront of me. I feel like an idiot, and find it completly lame, I suppose im not alright with haveing people do things for me, even if i pay them to. And in this case, they dont get paid, they need to pay and still work for someone.

    Now go forth.. Unleash the tides of Doom.. Upon all those.. who would oppose us.

  13. #53
    The Lightbringer Uennie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ner'zhul
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Well im trying not to judge anyone, i was just suprised by this post.
    And i agree 300 is extremly cheap for rent, but its not cheap (imo) if you have to work for a person ontop of that for 1 private room only. And as a student (wich is what he is looking for, since its close to the uni), i doubht he/she will have time to do much studys, or have any free time if he/she will do housework for someone.
    And for all you know, he will leave his socks on the floor, and make a mess, because he knows he does have a contract saying someone will do these things for him.
    I dont make a mess myself, i pay around 850 dollars for a very small flat.
    Also a bench i meant a "kitchen bench", where you cut vegitable or make coffe, or whatever.
    Anyway for me its, wake up>shower>uni>come home and make dinner>study> make evening meal>study and maybe have 1-2 hours of free time before i go to sleep and do the same thing next day. And that is not counting going to the store, cleaning the house, doing laundry. Hell i barely have freetime in the weekend because i have papers to write, to study and prepare, im drowing in studys. If i ontop of that was suppose to clean and make dinner for another person then that would be my day with 0 freetime.
    Also i wouldnt feel right to have a housekeeper, i even feel wierd when people treat my like im a king at a resturant, "want wine sir? pour some in the glass, "why dont you taste it and see if you like it sir". Or even as a simple putting a plate infront of me. I feel like an idiot, and find it completly lame, I suppose im not alright with haveing people do things for me, even if i pay them to. And in this case, they dont get paid, they need to pay and still work for someone.
    If you have a problem with that stuff, frankly, that sounds like a personal issue. I've been a waitress, a housekeeper, and a nanny and I didn't feel degraded. I worked hard for the money I needed and there's nothing to be ashamed of for that. By you saying that you felt like an idiot being served by someone whose job it is to serve you, you're basically calling them an idiot. You need to marinate a bit on what you're really saying about people who work in the service industry and if it's that justified. I know a lot of people who LIKE cleaning and doing "slave work".

    Click Alexander and Cassima for the RuPaul's Drag Race [TV] Fan Thread!

  14. #54
    You're looking for some kind of a maid/girlfriend thing. I suggest moving to to the 19. century.

    Joking aside: I don't think anyone would answer your proposition. It resembles a job offer for an existing occupation in major points but doesn't compensate accordingly. The other part, especially the female thing and the company thing - most people would probably think you're a creep.

    If I were you, I'd just take care of my shit myself. I can relate, I can often only cook decent meals and take care of the household on weekends because there's just no fucking time for it during the week. I vacuumed my place yesterday for the first time in three weeks because I was working and studying for 16 hours 7 days a week since the beginning of January. It had to be. But then again, I wouldn't have the cash to pay someone else anyway, so ...

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    If you have a problem with that stuff, frankly, that sounds like a personal issue. I've been a waitress, a housekeeper, and a nanny and I didn't feel degraded. I worked hard for the money I needed and there's nothing to be ashamed of for that. By you saying that you felt like an idiot being served by someone whose job it is to serve you, you're basically calling them an idiot. You need to marinate a bit on what you're really saying about people who work in the service industry and if it's that justified. I know a lot of people who LIKE cleaning and doing "slave work".
    No you have it wrong, i dont judge people based on what they do for a living, and i dont judge a waitress for serving me, and i certainly does not think them idiots. If im going to call someone idiots, its the people who will yell at the waitress because a mistake was done, or to yell at the person at the store for a mistake/ and or the companys mistake. Just as i look upon men thinking women should clean, make dinner and everything else while they do nothing. I try to look at everyone as equal, wich is rare these days.
    And i feel "disguested" to act "Im better than you", wich i feel people are doing in a resturant. I still tip and treat them with respect. And im not saying its "slave work", but if you have to pay someone (and not getting payd for working for them), and work for them, and then you have to be interessted in what they like, and go to a movie (a movie that you dont like) because they want you too, then to me, its forcing someone against their will.
    Last edited by Aspect of Death; 2013-02-03 at 02:11 PM.

    Now go forth.. Unleash the tides of Doom.. Upon all those.. who would oppose us.

  16. #56
    Pandaren Monk Slummish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,762
    I lived in a similar situation for about a year in college. I cooked, cleaned, walked and fed dogs, ran errands, etc. (basically played housewife) for a 30-something police officer. I paid no rent, but earned my keep. It wasn't a bad deal... It ended badly, but only because he wasn't attractive.

  17. #57
    Mechagnome Osyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Snip
    Honestly, I would.

    I would want to pay for utilities and food since Im cooking.


    You are asking a bit for a house wife but I actually really like doing all these things. Sad, but true.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 11:00 AM ----------

    Why? Well youre close to a college- I could work on my second degree and work part time instead of full time.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    No you have it wrong, i dont judge people based on what they do for a living, and i dont judge a waitress for serving me, and i certainly does not think them idiots. If im going to call someone idiots, its the people who will yell at the waitress because a mistake was done, or to yell at the person at the store for a mistake/ and or the companys mistake. Just as i look upon men thinking women should clean, make dinner and everything else while they do nothing. I try to look at everyone as equal, wich is rare these days.
    And i feel "disguested" to act "Im better than you", wich i feel people are doing in a resturant. I still tip and treat them with respect. And im not saying its "slave work", but if you have to pay someone (and not getting payd for working for them), and work for them, and then you have to be interessted in what they like, and go to a movie (a movie that you dont like) because they want you too, then to me, its forcing someone against their will.

    Okay, please allow me to address some of the concerns here.

    1. Starting rent around here is about 1100 or more a month for a decent place to live. Prices are raised artificially because the town is near a large military base and a large college. 300 a month for rent to live in a nice FURNISHED house is insanly low.

    2ool I'm not looking for a slave, I am not home enough to make a mess, I'm typically working 13+ hours a day. It just would be nice to come home to a nice cooked meal and for the clutter to be clean. I'm not asking for her to wax the floors or anything of that type.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 01:01 PM ----------

    Also 3. Its not that I'm looking for a gf I don't have enough time before I leave to begin a relationship. Is it so horrible of me to enjoy some non sexual female compaginship before I deploy to Afghanistan? At least give me something pretty to look at in the 2 hour of time I get after coming home from work before I have to go to bed. I'm surrounded by dudes and my buddies all day, its nice to have a conversation with a female.

    One again seems like a good deal, be nice to have this for a few months before I possibly get killed next year.


    And yes I think judging by my pic I am a fairly handsome dude

  19. #59
    Bloodsail Admiral Sykol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,103
    I think the real question here is:

    What the fuck does Seth MacFarlane need a roommate for?

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Okay, please allow me to address some of the concerns here.

    1. Starting rent around here is about 1100 or more a month for a decent place to live. Prices are raised artificially because the town is near a large military base and a large college. 300 a month for rent to live in a nice FURNISHED house is insanly low.

    2ool I'm not looking for a slave, I am not home enough to make a mess, I'm typically working 13+ hours a day. It just would be nice to come home to a nice cooked meal and for the clutter to be clean. I'm not asking for her to wax the floors or anything of that type.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 01:01 PM ----------

    Also 3. Its not that I'm looking for a gf I don't have enough time before I leave to begin a relationship. Is it so horrible of me to enjoy some non sexual female compaginship before I deploy to Afghanistan? At least give me something pretty to look at in the 2 hour of time I get after coming home from work before I have to go to bed. I'm surrounded by dudes and my buddies all day, its nice to have a conversation with a female.

    One again seems like a good deal, be nice to have this for a few months before I possibly get killed next year.


    And yes I think judging by my pic I am a fairly handsome dude
    I live in Olathe which is like 2 hours east of KSU, starting rent here is ~500 - 600 per month, just for perspective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •