10+ Year Old Account

Fanless 5570 failure temp

Hey, have a question about my HIS 5570 card; I need to know the failure temp.

Thanks, Raeonn.
    I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS.-Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Mayor of a Little Village up the Coast, Mistress of Magma and Lord of the Dance.

Deleted
    It should run at 30 to 40 degrees celcius over ambient room temperature so anything from 50c to 70c is normal and max temperature for the HiS is listed as 90c but it wont last long at that high a temp.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it running at ~100c is overkill then?
    I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS.-Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Mayor of a Little Village up the Coast, Mistress of Magma and Lord of the Dance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most modern Radeons are rated for around 120C maximum shut off temperature. GPU's actually can run at 80-90C without having any issues whatsoever but higher temperatures definitely will eventually lower the lifespan of the card. All hardware has some form of degradation regardless of whether or not it runs hot or cool. The maximum shut off temperatures on both CPU's and GPU's are set at the point where high grade degradation and low grade degradation transitions into one another. This means that up until that actual temperature it has been either calculated or physically tested that the rate of degradation due to thermal tolerance is actually within normal parameters to ensure at least a certain lifespan of the hardware. Overall, as a TL-DR it means that these shutoff temperatures are set long before any substantial damage to the lifespan can occur. At 80-90C you're probably looking at maybe 15-20% of its lifespan gone, but by the time the card does actually die it will be completely obsolete. Modern hardware have quite a bit of thermal tolerance even with the smaller power gates and transistors.

If it is running at 100C, I would advise one of the following options: attempting to improve airflow, replace the thermal interface for the heatsink in an attempt to lower the temperature by a false application or RMA the card due to faulty operation.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-02-03 at 12:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Running constantly at 100°C is possible, but not advisable. Because if for some reason the airflow gets a little bit worse or the outside temps get a bit higher, you will go higher with the temps and then you run into problems.
    I would suggest to get yourself a cheap and quiet case fan and position it to improve the airflow over your card. If for some reason your case is so small and cramped, that you can not fit a case fan somewhere in there, then a fanless card is maybe not the best solution...
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet