Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    To me,
    Hardcore means putting effort into the game, watches fights on tankspot or wherever, TRYS HARD.
    You can be hardcore and not play a lot.

Casual to me means plays a little here and there and doesn't care about being the best or putting effort into it.

You can be hardcore and suck
    and you can be casual and be a stud (just not trying real hard to be good but happen to be awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    Hellow Fellows!

so i've been thinking for awhile what the definition of hardcore is in video-games.

I consider somon who is hardcore:
    -very skilled
    -plays the hardest content
    -top tier

but now a days i see allot of people who think hardcore means that they spent lots of time into the game.
    and casual means not spending allot time in game.

so what is your opinion on this matter does hardcore mean= very skilled(PRO) or does it mean that he/she spent lots of time in gaming
    and the same for casual does it mean=not very skilled(noob so to say) or does it mean they play for just a few minutes?
    Hardcore is spending every second of the day within the game AND usually excelling at it. Because they're directly linked.

Casual is just that. Casually playing. For example. I used to be freaking hardcore in WoW Vanilla. I was a good player and I spent about 4 hours every day of the week in a raid, for which I had to grind repairs and potions, for about 2 hours, (be)for the entire 40 man raid. Pretty hardcore. Today, I spend about 4 hours per evening afking, watching a movie, playing PoE, EVE, LoL or anything else with friends and my goal is to have a good time.

I don't do raiding anymore, I don't try to be the best geared player anymore. I just can't be arsed. But that doesn't mean that I'm now an old man and lost all my skills and abilities. I'm just less hardcore I'm still equally good.

Deleted
    I suspect most people would define me as a hardcore gamer due to the amount of hours I put into gaming, to the point where I blog about it even, so yeah.. I'm a pretty dedicated gamer. I still suck at gaming so I don't think skill is necessarily a dealbreaker for the term.

I think for most people who devote 2-3 hours+ per day to gaming, they tend to get pretty good at what they do, so skill + playtime often come hand in hand, but it's not a necessity. Hardcore gaming is just devoting a lot of your life to it.

hardcore is to me anyways the people that are the best at the game, that do the most difficult things in the game and get the biggest rewards. That being said, ever since..WOTLKish that meant playing 24/7 competing for world firsts etc, while in TBC and vanilla it didn't necessarily mean that, just dedicated skilled people, playing together a few times a week.

Deleted
    people i find hilarious and obviously take themselves far too seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I view Hardcore more as a mindset than anything else. It's not necessarily someone who plays a lot or is the most achieved person in a game, but the mindset needed to make those things happen are present, except perhaps the time needed isn't available. To me, people who are in the top percentile of anything in a game typically have a sponsor of some sort, which indicates that they're professional to some degree. Are those people hardcore? Most definitely, but that's not *the* definition of Hardcore in my eyes.

Deleted
    Someone who takes a game as a job. Playing a lot or being good at it doesn't make anyone a hardcore. There were some people in my WoW guild that were on all the time but couldn't even finish normal mode raids during Wrath.

Hardcore is about the attitude one takes on in a competitive game environment which includes dedication, knowledge, and the skills required to perform at a high level. It usually goes hand-in-hand with spending lots of time on the game, but not necessarily.

On a different note, I find it hilariously ironic that as soon as the topic is brought up, some people feel inclined to throw random insults while they're posting on a VG forum themselves in a knee-jerk fashion. It makes me wonder why they are so bothered by it in the first place.

Deleted
    I consider myself a hardcore gamer, just because of the amount of time I spend on games and that my life choices have been affected by gaming (I work in the industry somewhat)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lashmoo View Post
    I view Hardcore more as a mindset than anything else. It's not necessarily someone who plays a lot or is the most achieved person in a game, but the mindset needed to make those things happen are present, except perhaps the time needed isn't available. To me, people who are in the top percentile of anything in a game typically have a sponsor of some sort, which indicates that they're professional to some degree. Are those people hardcore? Most definitely, but that's not *the* definition of Hardcore in my eyes.
    Saves me typing out my view because it's basically this .

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Has nothing to do with skill. The term is a measurement of dedication &/or time.

A "hardcore" Lego Universe player would be understood to have played and play such a game to great degree.

A hardcore game, or rather play system, is totally dependent on time. That is to say a hardcore game is historically distinguished by the degree of time needed and the punitive systems imposed on one's time/efforts.

Matters of "skill" and degree of difficulty is as lowly and wrongheaded a preoccupation of gaming culture as immersion or graphical fidelity. To be concerned with those aspects when game play or rule systems are not is a total misunderstanding of game design.

Hardcore = time investment. Nothing more or less.
    The thread pretty much ended after this post.

Hardcore/Casual = time spent doing what your doing. "Skill" has nothing to do with it.

Deleted
    It's about your attitude toward the game.

Do you play to win, succeed, be the best, pwn noobs, etc. then you're hardcore

If you play just 4 fun or no particular reason then you're softcore.

Ironically a lot of people who are very dedicated and committed to the game will claim to be casual.

I personally have a hard time accepting that "hardcore" has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with time played..... because I know dozens of people who play a certain video game 20+ hours a week but consider themselves "casuals" because all they do is level alts or do dailies or raid LFR (or fill in a random activity from whatever video game you are playing at the moment).

I also have lots of friends who consider themselves "hardcore" because they log in for 8-12 hours a week in order to progress (or at this point, farm) heroic raids.... but outside of that, they pretty much don't log in.

I am sure there are thousands of players who log in 1-5 hours a week (or a month).... and I would consider them a casual player. But when you are logging in almost every night for 2-3 hours a night (14+ hours a week) you are no longer considered a casual, no matter how bad you are at the game.

I also have a hard time believing that anyone on the forums would consider people in Paragon or Blood Legion to be a casual player, when for the last 2 months most of them have probably been logging in less than you have.... since they only raid like 4-6 hours a week for the last 2 months. While I understand this will change when the next content patch comes out, the fact remains a lot of those players aren't touching the game outside of the few hours a week they log in to 1 shot all the heroic bosses.

So if the definition is 100% based on amount of time played (which I don't think it is, but others do), I would say there are a ton more hardcore players out there than people care to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoon View Post
    I personally have a hard time accepting that "hardcore" has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with time played..... because I know dozens of people who play a certain video game 20+ hours a week but consider themselves "casuals" because all they do is level alts or do dailies or raid LFR (or fill in a random activity from whatever video game you are playing at the moment).
    20 hours is my weekend quotum. I make twice that in a week and I consider myself casual :P I gave the reasons earlier. I no longer have the drive, the addiction, the insanity that makes me play till past 24:00 to kill a single entity while listening to orders by some self-glorifying English raidleader that calls all his minions "Cunts". Even when he's being nice.

But in the end, I have seen so many members that spent the exact same hours and were so unskilled you would want to cry, that I simply cannot seem to fit hardcore and skilled in the same sentence. Hardcore is perhaps time + drive, usually with skill as a result.

Now, being the casual munchkin that I am, I have to stand strong and state that being casual, by no means, means bad. Bad people can play 50 hours a month, but they're still bad. Casual players can only play 5 hours a week, but still be fucking good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardcore is not defined by success, but dedication.

You can be Hardcore, and you can still be middle of the pack.

It has everything to do with how far you are willing to go for something. That is hardcore.

For me hardcore is someone who plays a lot , but who also try's their hardest to be as good as they can be. By that I mean they will try to find out as much about the game and what is the optimal way of playing it.

In my opinion "hardcore" is someone who dedicates themself to the game who spend majority of their time improving their character you can be "hardcore" and unsuccessful to me "hardcore" = Passion.

Would have to mention that hardcore can appear different depending on the person.

I'm assuming we're talking about hardcore gamers?
    In a chronological order lets take a regular person that might play a game here and there every once in a while, then this person meets a guy that appears more devoted. He may have bought a fancy computer, has fancy gadgets (Keyboard & Mouse with LED's), and is in the loops with video game news. In that regular persons eyes, he's a no life hardcore gamer virgin nerd.

Now lets say that the more devoted guy simply plays a wide variety of games. He isn't very good at any of them, but enjoys them none the less. He spends a lot of time playing a game, eventually gets bored of it, and moves to another. This guy often comes across players that are very skilled and usually play a select few games. These guys in his eyes are hardcore players with way too much time because of the amazing amount of skill and achievements they've obtained.

So the guy that has all of the achievements, the skill, and the better understanding simply sees our other guy as a noob. He himself only plays this one game or very few other games since they are the only ones that appeal to him. Due to the long period of time he's been playing these few games, he's developed a better understanding of them. He knows he's good and is confident in his ability, but very rarely does he ever come across someone that is much more better then he in just about every aspect of the game. He sees these people as hardcore/elite players who in turn see him as a mere casual with possibly some above average talent.

So hardcore is pretty subjective from the view points of different types of people (noob, novice, pro). It can also be used to describe other things such as intensity. I guess in the gamer world of hardcore players, everyone above the noob can be considered hardcore. :S
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-02-03 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    I think you are misinterpreting other English words with hardcore.

You can be persistent and show an initiative at your job.
    You can be caring and thoughtful in your relationship.
    You can be devoted and love your hobby.

The word hardcore is nowadays used mostly in gaming for a person who spends a lot of his time on one specific game, tries to min/max in that game, and generally uses that game to compensate for something like for instance what you listed above job, relationships, or hobbies, so in a way like i said at first a person who plays the game for reasons other than fun.
    Your definition is quite insulting! Hardcore gamers are people trying to compensate for another area of their life? As a general rule I disagree with blanket statements used to describe groups of people. You're hardcore stereotyping!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

I think of hardcore as time instensive and not just playing a game but trying to learn as much about the game as possible. If your playing a certain class then it would be reading up as much as you can so that you know all the capabilites of that class, as opposed to someone who just wings it and uses their own judgement what is good for that class.