Please help with a noise which only occurs when I open games located on my SSD.

Hey guys.

Recently I've been getting a kind of static every time I open World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and Minecraft.
    I have no idea what's causing it, but I can make the noise increase by doing things that require more memory (e.g full setting in wow and looking out at a huge zone) and the same in Minecraft.
    It's extremely annoying and the slightly high pitch is giving me almost constant headaches. Please help.

Kindest regards

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 04:19 PM ----------

I just tried opening up a game located on another hard drive and the noise is still there. So it must be something else. The RAM?
    Last edited by Ghettobeast; 2013-02-03 at 03:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You wouldn't happen to have a crucial m4 would you. :P Sadly this cannot be solved (it's just the PCB of the SSD), and just indicates you have a sensitive hearing.
    I've got a M4 aswell, and i put it in my parents PC because it drove me mad.

Also, do you have page/swap-file on your SSD. Because then it always writes/reads data onto it, even if you open it on your HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettobeast View Post
    Hey guys.

Recently I've been getting a kind of static every time I open World of Warcraft, League of Legends, and Minecraft.
    I have no idea what's causing it, but I can make the noise increase by doing things that require more memory (e.g full setting in wow and looking out at a huge zone) and the same in Minecraft.
    It's extremely annoying and the slightly high pitch is giving me almost constant headaches. Please help.

Kindest regards

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 04:19 PM ----------

I just tried opening up a game located on another hard drive and the noise is still there. So it must be something else. The RAM?
    You shouldn't hear ANYTHING from a SSD. There is 0 moving parts inside one. Now, if you got one of those "hybrid SSD" drives, they still have moving parts because they have a traditional HDD in them.

High pitch, low pitch, you shouldn't hear anything. If it's when you open games that put load on your system I would wager it's honestly a fan somewhere possibly on the graphics card, northbride/southbridge. It's not your memory because again, no moving parts. It could also be the fan on the powersupply. I can tell you though, it's definitely not your SSD (unless it's potentially one of those hybrid SSDs) or Memory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You shouldn't hear ANYTHING from a SSD. There is 0 moving parts inside one. Now, if you got one of those "hybrid SSD" drives, they still have moving parts because they have a traditional HDD in them.

High pitch, low pitch, you shouldn't hear anything. If it's when you open games that put load on your system I would wager it's honestly a fan somewhere possibly on the graphics card, northbride/southbridge. It's not your memory because again, no moving parts. It could also be the fan on the powersupply. I can tell you though, it's definitely not your SSD (unless it's potentially one of those hybrid SSDs) or Memory.
    You're suggesting that because there are no moving parts, it cannot create a noise. You know that all electric components create a noise right. And maybe YOUR sense of hearing is bad, but people with sensitive hearing are annoyed by this.

Lookup: Coil Whine for example. Not sure this is the case here, but it's still relevant.

In all honesty people, do some research before you start accusing people of giving false comments.

I thought it was an issue with my SSD because it only occured when I played games located on it... but I never played anything else. Just tried opening up one of my other games from steam and the noise is there. I can't really describe it properly. It's a weird fast static.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was an issue with my SSD because it only occured when I played games located on it... but I never played anything else. Just tried opening up one of my other games from steam and the noise is there. I can't really describe it properly. It's a weird fast static.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc#t=1m37s

something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Exactly like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly like that.
    Coil whine, nothing you can do about it. Maybe muffle it by applying some noise damping stuff in your PC but..that's it.
    If you're really bothered by it you can replace it. My (old) vertex2 doesn't make the noise, but the M4 i installed in my parents PC does.
    Wierd thing is, i installed another M4 in the server-pc and it doesn't make this noise. Maybe RMA it.

You're suggesting that because there are no moving parts, it cannot create a noise. You know that all electric components create a noise right. And maybe YOUR sense of hearing is bad, but people with sensitive hearing are annoyed by this.

Lookup: Coil Whine for example. Not sure this is the case here, but it's still relevant.

In all honesty people, do some research before you start accusing people of giving false comments.
    I never said you couldn't get a noise from a capacitor for example, I'm saying you shouldn't hear noise from an SSD, which is correct and also in danger of completely failing if you do considering it's obviously not operating properly. It's not like a fan where it can simply be low/out of lube and lubing it up stops the noise. If there was lube on the fan and it still produced noise (outside of vibration noise) it's another probably and one that's very close to breaking the fan.

The SSD is likely the LAST potential source for a noise, and if you are having a noise from the SSD transfer all the contents off it asap and send it in for an RMA.

OP, how do you specifically know it's the SSD? Did you take it out of the case and put your ear to it to see if it got "louder"?

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 10:41 AM ----------

Coil whine, nothing you can do about it. Maybe muffle it by applying some noise damping stuff in your PC but..that's it.
    If you're really bothered by it you can replace it. My (old) vertex2 doesn't make the noise, but the M4 i installed in my parents PC does.
    Wierd thing is, i installed another M4 in the server-pc and it doesn't make this noise. Maybe RMA it.
    WoW, apparently crucial has a TON of M4s with the problem. I find it hilarious he says you have a very low chance of actually getting in RMAed. CLEARLY the product is defective. It's not like there's some sort of magic technology in crucials M4's that no other SSD has in them. I'm not saying it's the devices failure, it's a design failure flaw is what I mean by that.

I simply wouldn't live with that noise. They'd have a very, very hard time convincing anyone that it's "normal" to hear that noise.
    Last edited by alturic; 2013-02-03 at 03:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @alturic try the decaf next time. And why are you so certain about everything, when you don't have any proof.
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/r...SD_PCB_Top.jpg
    I can see a few components that can cause coil whine, and this the PCB of a SSD.

Nitrax's linked solution is worth trying out. However, i do not approve of disabling speedstep as a solution.