Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Pandaren Monk Nirawen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieKDC View Post
    I play team ranked all the time. We are about 1400 in S3, and were the same S2. I am the ADC for our team, and aside from a few clicking errors I have (still hitting higher CS numbers regardless), the games go amazingly well. That being said, even if I duo with the same team members, and even if we both are fed and win our lanes (or I jungle and help to feed my teammates), we almost always end up losing. Currently in S3, I have about 1 win, and 8 losses, all because of the other 3 players feeding and generally sucking (even if I, as the jungler, help give them kills to win their lane). People can talk about individual skill all they want, and pretend as if "elo hell" doesn't exist, but it is the team that wins the game, especially when the enemy is fed. It is an outlier when a single person can carry a game, and any rational suggesting otherwise ignores the many factors that go into it.
    It's true that it's essentially a team effort and having 3 bad players hurts your chances but at the same time there's an equal chance to have as many bad players on the opposite team, or even higher if you duo with someone you consider to be good.

  2. #22
    Fluffy Kitten Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    9,960
    Quote Originally Posted by esoterickk View Post

    Be better than your current ranking == you will climb over time. If not, you'll stay. Simple as that.

    As for OP, get out of Bronze by being better - that's all there is to it.
    Yes, over time people will normalize to their proper ranking given their skill level and such, but lower elo's tend to fluctuate far more dramatically overall. Even if you'll find trolls and such everywhere, you get a higher concentration at the lower levels (If you're a feeder, or you can't work with a team, the chances of you rising are reduced), and seeing as they can easily throw a game it is easier to win or lose games that you should not have otherwise. So I wouldn't describe elo hell as being stuck in one place forever, but more a place of drastic fluctuations in wins and losses. You might get through them without any difficulty whatsoever, or you might get stuck for weeks or months because of bad luck in key games.


    As for people talking about losing because of teammates.... teach them. I tend to be extremely optimistic and helpful in games, engaging in small talk and such, and I notice a dramatic increase in coordination and such from that. If you're at least slightly involved with talking to people, you're more likely to call out when your lane disappears, or you're running off to grab blue when the enemy may be lurking in your jungle. A truly good player is going to be able to rally his team rather than gripe about it.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-02-05 at 02:41 AM.

  3. #23
    There are plenty of videos out there that detail why there is no such thing as Elo hell,if you are not the problem, than simply playing games will eventually get you out. However, if you are the problem than you won't escape.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    It's true that it's essentially a team effort and having 3 bad players hurts your chances but at the same time there's an equal chance to have as many bad players on the opposite team, or even higher if you duo with someone you consider to be good.
    I completely agree. However, the issue is that even if my duo partner is the same skill or better, and we both are fed and have little to no deaths, we cannot 2v5, especially if that 5 is fed, even if they suck. Both teams can suck major ass. Just because they may all suck whereas only 3 on your team sucks doesn't mean you automatically win because those 3 people are still holding you back as a team, whereas you're essentially 2 people versus 8, and they (the enemy) has just as many chances to have someone good than bad. I make no claim it is only and always my team that sucks. However, it is only when my team fails where it matters.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    There very clearly is.

    You just never experienced it. How can you say something doesn't exist when you have not experienced it yourself.

    And no, no, you can't carry every single game yourself.

    Statistically speaking if you are not meant to be at the ELO you will progress out of it (4 potential throwers on your team and 5 on the other assuming you aren't the issue).

  6. #26
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Elo Hell exists at all levels. There is no Elo Hell; the people who compose it (Trollers, Flamers, Feeder, etc) exist at all levels of the game. While it may not be possible to carry every game, if you're good you should still be able to win ~55-60% of your games. As long as you consistently win and are consistently playing well, you WILL climb. Hell, in terms of statistics, you have a possible 4 members on your team who will be that "One Guy" while the other team has 5 people who could be that "One Guy." The odds are in your favor.

    Edit:

    You just never experienced it. How can you say something doesn't exist when you have not experienced it yourself.

    Do I really need to explain why this is so fucking stupid to say.
    Hey, screw you man.

  7. #27
    I'm in Silver Division V, and lost my series match to get into Division IV.

    I believe I am where I belong, but I did get one AFK'er in my third Series game, which sucked.
    Being better is your ticket out of Bronze.

  8. #28
    The only way out of Bronze is to reach Bronze 1, then win your 5 matches, and you get promoted to Silver 5! Congratulations!

  9. #29
    Pandaren Monk Nirawen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    The only way out of Bronze is to reach Bronze 1, then win your 5 matches, and you get promoted to Silver 5! Congratulations!
    You'll get yourself sectioned with crazy talk like that.

  10. #30
    OP should change the title to "The only easy way to get out of bronze ..." because that's what he is talking about. Being at 1.1k elo means you are not very good. And if you are not very good the only way you can get out of bronze easily is with luck. Other option is to play a lot of games.

    What's the worst that can happen to you ...

  11. #31
    Bloodsail Admiral Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    OP should change the title to "The only easy way to get out of bronze ..." because that's what he is talking about. Being at 1.1k elo means you are not very good. And if you are not very good the only way you can get out of bronze easily is with luck. Other option is to get better.
    Fixed that.
    Seriously, how can people not understand this? Some people here have already explained why elo hell does in fact not exist. Here's a movie to watch if you're too stubborn to listen to the people here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTO2a7ZFcc

    Do I often think games got thrown because my teammates suck? Yes I do! A lot. However...it should happen less often in your own team than in the enemy team (if you're actually good)

  12. #32
    I haven't played ranked since s1, approximately how many games do you have to win to get up a league/division? From what people are saying it sounds like the new system is a hell of a grind, all the pro players have taken hundreds of games since s3 started and they obviously are winning a really high % since they are top diamond level players and all that... Just getting to gold seems like itd be a huge grind of hundreds of silver /bronze elo games...

    e: sorry slightly OT, but the thread is basically just a whinge thread anyway ;P
    Last edited by sillabear; 2013-02-05 at 10:56 AM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by sillabear View Post
    I haven't played ranked since s1, approximately how many games do you have to win to get up a league/division? From what people are saying it sounds like the new system is a hell of a grind, all the pro players have taken hundreds of games since s3 started and they obviously are winning a really high % since they are top diamond level players and all that... Just getting to gold seems like itd be a huge grind of hundreds of silver /bronze elo games...

    e: sorry slightly OT, but the thread is basically just a whinge thread anyway ;P
    Assuming the ratings for bronze/silver/gold/etc are still the same you still need about the same amount of games. It just looks like more

  14. #34
    Epic! Riboe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boubouille's Ear.
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by sillabear View Post
    I haven't played ranked since s1, approximately how many games do you have to win to get up a league/division? From what people are saying it sounds like the new system is a hell of a grind, all the pro players have taken hundreds of games since s3 started and they obviously are winning a really high % since they are top diamond level players and all that... Just getting to gold seems like itd be a huge grind of hundreds of silver /bronze elo games...

    e: sorry slightly OT, but the thread is basically just a whinge thread anyway ;P
    It doesn't take as many games as people say. Assuming you win all your games, it's only ~7 games to move up a Division and ~8 games to move up a Tier.
    By moving up a Division, I mean going from Bronze III to Bronze II or from Gold V to Gold IV, etc.
    By moving up a tier I mean going from Bronze I to Silver V or Gold I to Platinum V.

    Assuming a 60% win rate it'll take 11 games to move up a Division and 13 games for a Tier.
    That's 57 games in total to go from the bottom of Silver V all the way to Gold V. To me, that seems alright.

    EDIT: The 57 games is without factoring in how winning affects your MMR, which in turn affects your LP gains, effectively reducing the amount of games needed.
    Last edited by Riboe; 2013-02-05 at 04:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Hey, screw you man.
    But really, is there ANY way to convince you it doesn't exist? Otherwise I might as well talk to religious people again.

  16. #36
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    But really, is there ANY way to convince you it doesn't exist? Otherwise I might as well talk to religious people again.
    Look in the other thread.

    The screw you is because he insulted me.

    The other thread is http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-division-tier
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2013-02-05 at 04:44 PM.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Look in the other thread.

    The screw you is because he insulted me.

    The other thread is http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-division-tier
    I'll take that as a no.

  18. #38
    Moderator Isrozzis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The land of too much heat
    Posts
    3,087
    Since multiple threads were created about the same topic and have largely gone off topic, please use the New Ranking system thread for all discussion concerning the new ranking system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •