Poll: Could Bards be a class?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    People bitch now when their class isn't the one on top of all the charts. They'd throw fits if their class didn't do much but just enhance other players.
    Wasn't that where Enhancement started?

15+ Year Old Account
    It was done well in Riift, but once you had one in a raid there wasn't call for any more, less so now that they streamlined how many buffs they had to maintain.

Deleted
    to e honest i want a class that uses plate armor with spiri and intell(a plate wearer using mana to cast various spells through his weapon to melee wit seems cool) besides the only class that uses that gear now is holy paladins its about time they get competition for that gear

I've always been under the impression that, very minutely so, priests used songs and tales in spells. Such is the case with Hymn of Hope using musical notes, or Power Words. I feel as if The Light is, in it's entirety, is promoted wholly on the basis of song in a way. Notice how Ad'al or other Naaru sound. They hum and sing while being understood of beings who ARE the light.

Additionally, if ever they were to introduce bards, I feel as if they would have done it in MoP. Notice that when you are using "Spirit of Harmony" or reading the seeds for Sunsong Ranch, it mentions music. And many times through out Panda-zone they mention music as being a way of finding home and happiness. A way of healing.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The big issue is that bards are usually in the "Force Multiplier" role. Yes, they essentially buff/debuff (including CC) but the net effect is that they increase the effectiveness of the party, hence the "Force Multiplier" monicker. In WoW they would have to be one of the trinity roles, so while they could make a class that is called a Bard, it wouldn't really be what most people want when they ask for a Bard class.
    “In order to make apple pie from scratch, you must first make the Universe.” Carl Sagan

This thread makes me miss my EverQuest Bard.

I just don't see it working in WoW. There just aren't enough unique buffs and debuffs to support it well.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I'd much rather see Bard as a profession than a class. A music profession would be a fun addition to the game, imo.

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, they'd just give a bunch of buffs to everyone...so they'll pretty much be what pallies were in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roulette Kneebasha View Post
    I'd much rather see Bard as a profession than a class. A music profession would be a fun addition to the game, imo.
    A Bard profession would be an awesome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Roulette Kneebasha View Post
    This would be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiarra View Post
    I loved my Bard on Rift and my Chanter on Aion... What I didn't like everyone bitching at me in to respec to a proper DPS spec or bring a different character because my buffs didn't contribute enough to warrant the specs lack of DPS.

I love support based specs/classes, but they're rarely balanced properly; they'll either be underpowered and people would rather take a spec with more DPS and less support, or horribly OP and everyone will want one in a group.
    I actually played both of those classes in those games and enjoyed them both immensely as well. I never had anyone complain though, people were usually looking to make sure there was one in every group for the buffs because they enjoyed having them so much. Heck, I was solo healing Dredgion in dps spec on my chanter every time it was up.

Granted for Rift raids when I played I was a cleric and my significant other was a bard and you never needed more than two per raid but you still wanted them for the buffs. I loved the sound effects too.

If they ever added one to WoW I'd roll that class immediately. I don't know that they ever will though, considering they seem to have the support baked into most WoW classes (shadow priests being a prime example).

Bard would make a great 'healer' spec for a quad spec Rogue. Thinking of something like the minstrel/bard/skald classes from DAOC. A bit of single target instant cast dps 'songs' as well as an aoe healing song akin to tranquility. But primarily healing based on poison melee damage - akin to mistweaving / Disc atonement.

Going advanced with song twisting would be unique for WoW - though pretty standard for other MMOs. Could be a lot of fun.

Deleted
    A Bard would have to be a pure Support-Class... would have worked until wotlk but nowadays every class has to be able to be a Top-DD and multiple classes need to have specific buffs to avoid "bring the class not the player".

Holy Priests are kinda like Bards anyways... Hymns, Powerwords, healing with echoes of light, etc... maybe they could keep pushing priests more into the direction of bards, but never as a own class.

I see them working as a dps/ healer class. One specialization would be a ranged dps spell caster. In this specialization they would use words & songs & perhaps a few low or piercing sonic attacks. Maybe they would have a crowd control spell like Blind that uses a tone or word to disorient or stun the target. Another specialization would be a healer using similar attacks on friendly's to heal rather than harm. Not sure what they could do for a 3rd specialization though.

Would be a fun class to try out, but I think it would still feel too similar to Priest though because of "words" & "hymns" that Priest's already have. As for resources, the healing tree would still utilize mana in some way to balance healing properly with a depleting resource, but perhaps there'd be a secondary resource like holy power for Paladins & chi for Monks. For DPS you could use mana or maybe some other type of resource similar to a Hunter's focus. Ultimately, I see resources working similar to a Paladin's though... building up some sort of secondary resource to use on special songs or words that can only be used at the cost of the secondary resource.

It would be nice for a new type of resource style, or using an old one in an interesting way. Like building combo points on a rogue, but on friendly targets for healing or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiarra View Post
    I loved my Bard on Rift and my Chanter on Aion... What I didn't like everyone bitching at me in to respec to a proper DPS spec or bring a different character because my buffs didn't contribute enough to warrant the specs lack of DPS.

I love support based specs/classes, but they're rarely balanced properly; they'll either be underpowered and people would rather take a spec with more DPS and less support, or horribly OP and everyone will want one in a group.
    Bards had a place in raids in rift, but you only really needed one. After dungeons were nerfed to being so faceroll and not needing a support class there was no need to have one (and a chloro was better if you did).

WoW is not really built for support/buff classes or specs. All that is covered by classes already fitting into one of the 3 roles. So bard would have to get pigeon holed into one role or just not fit.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-02-04 at 03:50 PM.

Anything from a painter class to an erotic minstrel class would "work" in wow at this point, because really, it can't go lower than it already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I really don't understand why people think some guy singing in the middle of a battle is cool, but I guess Bards are very popular among some people.
    I see it as pretty much the same as pandas. Essentially a joke, as a throwback to old times where the joke was included seriously in games we all loved, almost as an ironic love of it for being so lame.
    People who aren't in on the joke see bard/panda and think "Okay... that's not particularly cool in the least, what am I missing?" and those who are in on it think it's beyond awesome.

I'm not sure whether this is a good enough reason to include something in the game as a major feature, but apparently Blizzard thinks differently so I wouldn't be surprised to see bard show up at some point.

That said, I would totally play Bard. Rock on! >.>
    Last edited by Kiqjaq; 2013-02-04 at 03:45 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    I see it as pretty much the same as pandas. Essentially a joke.
    I'm not sure if there is some unspoken maturity bar that must be reached to understand how Pandaren are not a joke or what. It's like Global Warming. Even presented with factual evidence, people would rather continue spouting their own false beliefs to the masses.

It's so obvious to me now. Blizzard made an entire expansion pack as a joke, just because they can. It's not because they have had the idea for a long time and set out to create something unique and contrasting to the rest of the game...

Re Bards:

I'm sure blizzard could make it work, but it just doesn't seem right to me. The other games with bards/minstrels have a much more realistic or high fantasy setting, which is vastly different than the WoW universe. I love the classes. Love them in LotRO, love them in Rift, but would haaaaaaaaaaate them in WoW.

Just, no.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    The only game with real bards was The Bard's Tale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bar...85_video_game)) ....

Why try to give potential Bards their own buffs? Why not make their songs enhance already existing buffs? Give them a repertoire of abilities like this: One that enhances flask potency, one that enhances beneficial buff potency, one that enhances DoT duration, one that enhances healing effectiveness, etc. All of these could be set up to be done within a certain range of the Bard or as a forward facing cone. Give them the ability to have three active at a time, something like this: one vocal and two instrumental, say melody and harmony, and the instrumental are interrupted by movement. Weapons would be instruments, and it wouldn't be so much pew pew as tralalalala anyway. Make it all stacked and DoT-based, where the more ticks you get in a period of time the stronger the buff/ability would be (this would apply to both beneficial and damage song combinations). You could get critical ticks and haste would definitely play a role. You could even base this on either attack power or spell power, or one for either spec, take your pick.

For specs, you can have one that centers on melee survivability, with songs centered on enhancing melee and tanks (enhancing heals received, melee-only haste, etc) while you could have another that helps ranged... slightly more haste, mana regen, healing effectiveness, DoT duration, etc having better ranged survivability (slightly enhanced run speed and possibly ranged mitigation). I don't know about a third spec, maybe a mixture of the two? The class's DPS could count as DoTs themselves (WoW bosses are known to hate hair band rock ballads).

Give them a Hero/Lust equivalent: Rock Band. The raid benefits from the Hero/Lust haste ability and the Bard's abilities would stack more and be more potent during the time the ability is active.