View Poll Results: Pick one dammit.

Voters
550. You may not vote on this poll
  • LFD

    220 40.00%
  • Faction/Server transfers

    165 30.00%
  • Something else (post in comments)

    165 30.00%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #241
    Herald of the Titans Geminiwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Demon Realm
    Posts
    2,785
    The community hurt itself. It's filled with arrogant, selfish assholes that take pleasures in insulting people just because they're not as good as they are in a game. LFD and the server transfers, imo, have little to nothing to do with how crappy the community is. Like other people have said LFD is not forced on you to use everytime you can still look for groups the old fashioned way (which I thought was the worst thing ever back then). The transfers, I'm not really sure how it damages the community.
    Last edited by Geminiwolf; 2013-02-06 at 12:50 AM.
    “Ever wonder why ice cubes taste so boring? It’s cuz you make ‘em outta stupid water, you bimbo! Put some fruit juice in there and freeze it into ice cubes, and put THAT in your milk.”
    "One small mankind and I'm gonna leap the heck outta this moon rocket." - Kneel Aurmstrang
    For your health.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    The community hurt itself. It's filled with arrogant, selfish assholes that take pleasures in insulting people just because they're not as good as they are in a game.
    See people say things like this to me a lot. And there are definitely a few people like this out there, but the opposite also exist and are equally a problem; The people who get offended and defensive at the slightest hint of advice.

    Example:

    I'm on an alt doing a dungeon. The tank runs off and pulls 2-3 additional packs which are in the wrong direction.

    I say "You don't have to pull those, we can just run this way and grab one pack then do the boss"

    He says "Omg I'll pull what I want, just stfu and dps"

    The party says "pull them all I want the exp"

    I say "faster runs is faster exp coz of the exp bonus, grinding trash is inefficient"

    They say "gtfo you elitist arrogant loser zomg"


    And then I log my main, do a heroic, the tank starts pulling half of scarlet monastery, cue the same scenario plays itself out all over again.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Transfers. Completely messed up the balance on my server and left it for dead.
    THIS. COMPLETELY.


    SO many people don't realise that LFD is just a necesary evil because of it.

  4. #244
    LFD/LFR/CR BG/Transfers/Name-Faction Change.

    All the above have their share into today's wow non existand community.
    And yes, i am amazed by those people saying that it is not Blizzard's fault that has a completely faceless automated system for pretty much everything but community's fault...
    And we re talking about a game that by majority is played by kids and teens.

    Right...Human stupidity at its finest.

  5. #245
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,967
    The players hurt the community. LFD/R would be awesome if you didn't have the assholes.

  6. #246
    The Lightbringer Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    The players hurt the community. LFD/R would be awesome if you didn't have the assholes.
    As much as I wish to agree with this, LFD/R did hurt the community, but not because it did what it intended to do.

    LFD/R hurt the community because it gives no repercussions whatsoever for ninjaing and other forms of assholish behavior when using the feature, there is no means to filter servers, or even turn off the cross realm feature of LFD, which pretty much means you are stuck with having to either use the feature and be unfortunate enough to have ninjas in the group, or be out for another hour looking for people the old way.

    The system was great for its original intent, but it is nowhere near fine tuned to serve the purpose the community needs atm, and it hurts the community because the tools do not exist yet.

    If you added a feature to LFD/R to explicitly filter out servers, or even the whole cross realm feature, you would be surprised how many people would use it compared to the normal version of LFD
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol
    .

  7. #247
    I would say the Activision influencing Blizzards decisions as a company and turning WoW into a more casual friendly type game.

  8. #248
    High Overlord Galaxtrixias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rotterdam - Netherlands
    Posts
    100
    The things that hurt the community the most, are the people who complain about stuff taking to much time/ something is only for the hardcore players. It's like "because i don't have 5 hours a day to play, and thus can't use that kind of content, NO-ONE CAN!".. everything is so focused only on casuals, that right now, the hardcore players are being forgotten. Yes, there are silly achievements you can get, but there is nothing compared to the joy of screaming on vent because you've downed a boss finally, or get your epic staff after 3 months of doing a raid.

    They should make it fun for both. For the hardcore players, and for the Casual. Right now, when new content comes out, and we've cleared it on normal mode, i don't even want to do the hardmodes anymore, because i've seen the whole raid allready. What they should do, is every patch, add 1 hard raid for 10 or 25 man, but not give that loot a higher ilvl than the normal raids. In that way, the casuals can't QQ about the fact that they can't get better gear, and the hardcore people still get the thrill on downing the hardest bosses..

    EDIT:
    On a side note, LFD has ruined it aswell. It totally takes away the social aspect of the game, of asking for people to join you group. The spamming in /2 wasn't allways great, but it was alot better than the system is now.

    LF TANK STRAT!
    Last edited by Galaxtrixias; 2013-02-06 at 06:33 AM.

  9. #249
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    I don't think it's argued that these didn't harm the community, so I want to know, which do you think hurt the community more?

    I think it's faction/server transfers. Even with LFD, there's still a lot of things in-game in which you have to interact with people on your own server (raiding, guilds, challenge modes, rated battlegrounds, occasional dailies, world bosses, etc), and you still do have to mind your server reputation and keep it good. However with faction/server transfers, it doesn't matter if you have the worst of the worst reputation on your server; troll it up as much as you want, you can simply pay to do it all over again.

    edit: explanation added
    LFD, without a doubt.

    More specifically, cross-server LFD. If LFD was restricted to just your server, it wouldn't be a total loss - even on a packed server, people would recognize you (for good or bad), and would foster a server community.

    But when it's pulling from a pool of dozens of servers, everyone is faceless and effectively nameless, and there are no real consequences for being a douchebag.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    MMOC IRC!

  10. #250
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,897
    The community has been crap well before LFR or LFD was ever around. I'm glad you all like waiting for hours to do a 5 man or raid that to me isn't fun. Low population servers have this problem my guild has 3-4 people during peek hours.

  11. #251
    High Overlord Galaxtrixias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rotterdam - Netherlands
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    LFD, without a doubt.

    More specifically, cross-server LFD. If LFD was restricted to just your server, it wouldn't be a total loss - even on a packed server, people would recognize you (for good or bad), and would foster a server community.

    But when it's pulling from a pool of dozens of servers, everyone is faceless and effectively nameless, and there are no real consequences for being a douchebag.
    This exactly. Before, everyone on the server knew eachother. It was like a big cuddly family haha (jk). That was what made the game alot more awsome back in the day aswell..

  12. #252
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    12,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    This exactly. Before, everyone on the server knew eachother. It was like a big cuddly family haha (jk). That was what made the game alot more awsome back in the day aswell..
    I mean, it's great to be able to press I and be in a heroic in 30 seconds (eeeeee, tanking!), but I really feel like Blizzard pushing so much cross-server stuff kind of killed the social aspect of WoW... and an MMO without a social aspect is basically just a really shitty single-player RPG.

    Granted, LFD isn't the only thing, but it's the only one mentioned in the poll (removal of attunements and resistance-based fights which required a guild to pool resources and effort together is another big one.)
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    MMOC IRC!

  13. #253
    Although everyone has the right to an opinion. It is a little scary that some people go beyond the obvious and comments stated by others and myself. I'll say it one more time.

    The community in WoW is like it is because it CAN.
    If there are features that take away accountability, you can bet your ass people are going to missbehave.
    Lfr/lfd/crz and the like are such features. While before you had server-reputation. Douchebags were dealt with. No longer...

    It is the exact reason why we have laws and departments of justice etc. Take those away and rl wil resemble wow a whole lot more and worse.

    So I think people who say "the community is bad due to the community" are either shortsighted or naive. Cause this community is no different then any other community. The only difference between this community and others are controlfeatures. It is that simple. Humans will be humans.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-02-06 at 06:57 AM.

  14. #254
    None of those hurt any community. People don't want to interact with you because you suck at something. It's like blaming Facebook for the lack of real interaction. People that LIKE to be social, are still being social, that's it. Those that aren't comfortable with it, well, they have a way of dealing with things that suit them better. For example, I hated to look for a fucking tank for 2 hours, just to have the healer go when we got a tank, so yeah, LFD didn't break any community, the community was already fucked up in regard to gameplay. LFD only made the actual GAME playable

    A great community like that pictured by the pre-LFD fans / freaks, wouldn't have "fallen apart". But there was no great community, and life sucked. Sure, those loving to chat instead of fucking playing the game, took a hit, because now people can actually play something related to the GAME instead of chatting waiting 3 billion years to form a dungeon group. But there's also Yahoo Messenger and the other things for doing that, so maybe they were using the game for the wrong purpose...

    Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    Eve online have 1 server for more than 500k people, and it's far more complicated than WoW. When Blizzard will step aside and merge all servers into one (technology is sufficient for that old game)? As for transfers - go to highest population server and you have a reason to be nice, because you can transfer only to worse servers, which is not an improvement.
    You might want to stop comparing two completely different games. As for the 500k people in Eve, when I tried it there were never more than 40k online at once.

  15. #255
    Bloodsail Admiral WarpKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    1,116
    I think a few things have led to the demise of the community aspect of the game..

    1. Too many realms, resulting in an often very thinly spread out playerbase

    2. Transfers and name changes abolished the idea that a character, once created, was forever on one realm with the same name. People can just take their raid geared toon and pack up and leave now. Or simply name change and join a different guild (or hell, even the same one... it's happened to me)

    3. Dungeon Finder and by extension Raid Finder resulted in lack of intra-community bonds that assembling groups for dungeons had previously formed

    That said, there still is a sense of community on my realm at least.
    Currently Playing: Blood Death Knight, Arcane Mage

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    None of those hurt any community. .
    I think you are missing the point. Lfr etc are great quality of life enhancing features as you have written. I don't think anyone doubts that. But please read my post above yours. Perhaps you'll understand

  17. #257
    High Overlord Galaxtrixias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rotterdam - Netherlands
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    None of those hurt any community. People don't want to interact with you because you suck at something. It's like blaming Facebook for the lack of real interaction. People that LIKE to be social, are still being social, that's it. Those that aren't comfortable with it, well, they have a way of dealing with things that suit them better. For example, I hated to look for a fucking tank for 2 hours, just to have the healer go when we got a tank, so yeah, LFD didn't break any community, the community was already fucked up in regard to gameplay. LFD only made the actual GAME playable

    A great community like that pictured by the pre-LFD fans / freaks, wouldn't have "fallen apart". But there was no great community, and life sucked. Sure, those loving to chat instead of fucking playing the game, took a hit, because now people can actually play something related to the GAME instead of chatting waiting 3 billion years to form a dungeon group. But there's also Yahoo Messenger and the other things for doing that, so maybe they were using the game for the wrong purpose...

    You might want to stop comparing two completely different games. As for the 500k people in Eve, when I tried it there were never more than 40k online at once.
    The shitty thing is, right now, everything is build around dungeons.. You can basically level up till 90 while only doing dungeons. It used to be doing quests, and doing dungeons while leveling, just because you got the quests for it. Right now, u spam dungeons to get the the highest level. And by the time you hit 60 or 70, and you had to farm dungeons for the blue gear, you mostly did it with your guild anyway. Dungeons used to be something special, fun and social. Now it's just pressing a button, streamroll through it, and press the queu button again.. Most of the time, there isn't even one word spoken during the dungeons. That's the whole big difference.

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    The shitty thing is, right now, everything is build around dungeons.. You can basically level up till 90 while only doing dungeons. It used to be doing quests, and doing dungeons while leveling, just because you got the quests for it. Right now, u spam dungeons to get the the highest level. And by the time you hit 60 or 70, and you had to farm dungeons for the blue gear, you mostly did it with your guild anyway. Dungeons used to be something special, fun and social. Now it's just pressing a button, streamroll through it, and press the queu button again.. Most of the time, there isn't even one word spoken during the dungeons. That's the whole big difference.
    Dungeon quests do give a lot of XP, but if you enter in progress it doesn't always work. DPS also need to wait a bit in queue. Quests give very good XP, too. I haven't done any direct compare, but if the choice dungeon with no quest and a quest in the world then that's pretty clear. Of course, around 55 you don't wanna quest at The Dark Portal. This is where you start to bake a pie while AFK waiting for queue to pop. Speaking of PvP, you always got BGs, and they're more fair than ever in 5.2.
    "When i am done with you, you won't trust your own mind."

  19. #259
    I say faction/server transfers. People used to have to re-roll if they wanted to start over or be another faction. There's nothing really forcing a sense of commitment, and so people are lazier.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    The community hurt itself. It's filled with arrogant, selfish assholes that take pleasures in insulting people just because they're not as good as they are in a game. LFD and the server transfers, imo, have little to nothing to do with how crappy the community is. Like other people have said LFD is not forced on you to use everytime you can still look for groups the old fashioned way (which I thought was the worst thing ever back then). The transfers, I'm not really sure how it damages the community.
    I just can't understand that you think this. I'm sorry I really can't. There have been enough people here explaining why you are wrong.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-02-06 at 08:22 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •