Poll: Pick one dammit.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    The only thing that hurt the community is the community itself.
    Oh bullocks! You can't remove the barriers or "unwritten laws" if you will, and expect anything but utter anarchy, same would happen irl if the barriers or laws that keep everyone in check was removed.., stop sucking blizzards tit on that argument n' think for yourself, that's what your brain is for!

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Oh bullocks! You can't remove the barriers or "unwritten laws" if you will, and expect anything but utter anarchy, same would happen irl if the barriers or laws that keep everyone in check was removed.., stop sucking blizzards tit on that argument n' think for yourself, that's what your brain is for!
    You just said that the problems in the community are so ingrained in human nature that it would happen IRL as well, and then went on to say that someone who does NOT blaming Blizzards is "sucking blizzards tit".

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    I lost many contacts because of that.
    Is that Blizzard's fault for providing the option, or your friends' fault for not telling you they were name changing? Don't you think they told the people they wanted to keep in touch with? Would you rather they not have the option to change and not accomplish whatever they were trying to accomplish by changing? If so then that's an incredibly self-centered idea of what constitutes "hurting the community".

10+ Year Old Account
    The community. You got people wanting certain features, and Blizzard created said features to accommodate the majority of the community. Why was LFD created? Because it was a hassle to go in LFG chat for those who remember those days (before they killed it and forced people to flood into trade chat) and say LF1M TANK for BLAH BLAH, GTG for an hour or so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    The only thing that hurt the community is the community itself.
    This! Nothing else, just us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    I lost many contacts because of that.
    Not really, as they still stay on your friend list after changing names.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    LF2.0 did. Specifically because it auto-ported players to the instance of choice.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I'm willing to name two major causes for the changes in the community. Whether they've been for the better or for the worse, that is a whole another question.

Firstly, the gaming culture has changed over the years. It has become consistently more acceptable and normal for a different kind of an audience to spend time playing games, MMORPGs included. The result is that the gaming communities have grown together with the players, and even the older players have changed together with the communities.

Another cause more specific to WoW is quite simply the age of the game and the genre. The mystery, the RPG, is wearing off. World of Warcraft has become more of a game like any other over being an actual world to immerse yourself into.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    LF2.0 did. Specifically because it auto-ported players to the instance of choice.
    Is there something that prevents you from porting back out and flying there yourself?

Funny, I disagree that either of those hurt the community in the slightest. Internet immaturity is the only problem with the community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Is there something that prevents you from porting back out and flying there yourself?
    are u kidding me.. this is world of warcraft, players will always use the most efficient way to anything, so if there is a more efficient way EVEN IF ITS NOT FUN OR VITAL TO THE COMMUNITY every player feels / IS forced to use this way period. arguments like yours are worthless. haha look at the main page ghostcrawler just said what I told you about efficiency in a blue post

from gc: 'Not to sound ignorant, but why don't you like people migrating from 25s to 10s? If ppl like 25 its its own reward
    We don't buy that 10s are just more fun. Throughout WoW, one constant is that players gravitate towards efficiency. '
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2013-02-03 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 'O' and 2nd 'M' in MMORPG, ruined the WoW community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    How on earth the fact that you had to hoof your way to an instance changed anything? -_-
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    How about the unlisted option?

puberty

does anyone remember the days where it was common to be hit on for playing a female character and everyone was just plain fucking terrible at the game? Back when the game was a lot of innocent and oblivious fun in a cringeworthy, but adorable way? Yeah, well, we were all a little stupid then.

I have played World of Warcraft for Six years. I was an angry teenager once. Once. Now I am almost 23. The internet is now much more accessible to children than it was even back then. Having the internet is pretty much a necessity when it comes to modern entertainment. Netflix, Xbox LIVE, Torrents, Instant Messaging, Facebook, etc.

If you don't have the internet, you're just weird or something.

When I was in High School, I would actually get paid to burn CDs for people. They would give me a blank CD with their requests and I would download their songs in a matter of minutes. Nevermind the fact that what I was doing was illegal haha, but that would never happen today.

cross realm stuff has it's drawbacks but I don't think it's fair to say the root of all community problems is with that. I think it's better to say that Blizzard hasn't supported communities as well as they could have. They've focused on the individual experience a bit to much at the expense of the overall community experience. They routinely make decisions that HARM communities or hinder them because of the individual. The last community I felt like a part of in warcraft was the rath strat premades that would run av. Well Blizzard didn't like preform AV ostensible because the individual guy queing would get face rolled so they took out preform AV. Community 0 individual +1

Theirs countless other examples I can list. For instance the pug raids that used to happen in Wotlk. I spent many weekends running and being a part of pug ICC runs at the end of Wotlk. Well apparently having 10 and 25 was to much for some people so the ques had to get shared and the pug community for raids DIED. More recently they've made it clear that they didn't want trash runs for rep. Well a community formed around that in ICC as well. Yet they'd rather not reward that or make it happen. I don't disagree with their reasons in some cases, it's just that the decisions they make have bigger consequences than the lone individual or even the group. I don't think that community has been a concern for them.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2013-02-03 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Both LFD and transfers do hurt the community a lot.
    Yea, wow went from 6 mil to almost 12 mil after LFD....thats really hurt the "community" . Oh and the transfers, yea terrible thing to let people move to another server if they want to lol they might have friends we don't want them to play with. hahahahahahahaha lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    When I was in High School, I would actually get paid to burn CDs for people. They would give me a blank CD with their requests and I would download their songs in a matter of minutes. Nevermind the fact that what I was doing was illegal haha, but that would never happen today.
    That's because 6+ years ago ipods and stuff weren't nearly as common place. Nothing to do with the generations involved really as downloading music is much more intensive than wow's download requirements ever were.

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    I don't think it's argued that these didn't harm the community, so I want to know, which do you think hurt the community more?

I think it's faction/server transfers. Even with LFD, there's still a lot of things in-game in which you have to interact with people on your own server (raiding, guilds, challenge modes, rated battlegrounds, occasional dailies, world bosses, etc), and you still do have to mind your server reputation and keep it good. However with faction/server transfers, it doesn't matter if you have the worst of the worst reputation on your server; troll it up as much as you want, you can simply pay to do it all over again.

edit: explanation added
    The community hurt itself. I'm sick and tired of these cop out threads where anything and everything under the sun is blamed for the actions of others. Want a better community? Start holding the people in the community responsible for their actions rather than a few lines of code.

Nothing in-game made the community toxic. Game communities are always full of very toxic people. There's plenty of decent people too, but they tend to be quieter and stay away from the toxic ones. It's not exclusive to WoW, and it's certainly not Blizzard's fault.

Deleted
    Is that Blizzard's fault for providing the option, or your friends' fault for not telling you they were name changing? Don't you think they told the people they wanted to keep in touch with? Would you rather they not have the option to change and not accomplish whatever they were trying to accomplish by changing? If so then that's an incredibly self-centered idea of what constitutes "hurting the community".
    But I came back after few months and all I saw was "this character no longer exist" and a few random names on my friend list, which I didn't even know who are they anymore. They migrated and name changed. It would be easier to find them with their original name.

Translation: I wish people could not do something that they want to do (in this case, transfer servers). And it's THIS attitude that's ruined the "community", this attitude that makes the extremely loud and self-centered demographic dominate any discussion about WoW.
    I said it before and I will say it again most times the very people complaining about this community are the worst of the worst and their shitty attitudes are precisely why this community is so bad now. It is mind boggling how in one breath they can bitch about the community and then insult anyone who dares enjoy LFD and other quality of life features of the game that the community itself asked for.