Poll: Pick one dammit.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    The things that hurt the community the most, are the people who complain about stuff taking to much time/ something is only for the hardcore players. It's like "because i don't have 5 hours a day to play, and thus can't use that kind of content, NO-ONE CAN!".. everything is so focused only on casuals, that right now, the hardcore players are being forgotten. Yes, there are silly achievements you can get, but there is nothing compared to the joy of screaming on vent because you've downed a boss finally, or get your epic staff after 3 months of doing a raid.

They should make it fun for both. For the hardcore players, and for the Casual. Right now, when new content comes out, and we've cleared it on normal mode, i don't even want to do the hardmodes anymore, because i've seen the whole raid allready. What they should do, is every patch, add 1 hard raid for 10 or 25 man, but not give that loot a higher ilvl than the normal raids. In that way, the casuals can't QQ about the fact that they can't get better gear, and the hardcore people still get the thrill on downing the hardest bosses..

EDIT:
    On a side note, LFD has ruined it aswell. It totally takes away the social aspect of the game, of asking for people to join you group. The spamming in /2 wasn't allways great, but it was alot better than the system is now.

LF TANK STRAT!
    Last edited by mmoc72d3b77c3c; 2013-02-06 at 06:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    I don't think it's argued that these didn't harm the community, so I want to know, which do you think hurt the community more?

I think it's faction/server transfers. Even with LFD, there's still a lot of things in-game in which you have to interact with people on your own server (raiding, guilds, challenge modes, rated battlegrounds, occasional dailies, world bosses, etc), and you still do have to mind your server reputation and keep it good. However with faction/server transfers, it doesn't matter if you have the worst of the worst reputation on your server; troll it up as much as you want, you can simply pay to do it all over again.

edit: explanation added
    LFD, without a doubt.

More specifically, cross-server LFD. If LFD was restricted to just your server, it wouldn't be a total loss - even on a packed server, people would recognize you (for good or bad), and would foster a server community.

But when it's pulling from a pool of dozens of servers, everyone is faceless and effectively nameless, and there are no real consequences for being a douchebag.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    The community has been crap well before LFR or LFD was ever around. I'm glad you all like waiting for hours to do a 5 man or raid that to me isn't fun. Low population servers have this problem my guild has 3-4 people during peek hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    LFD, without a doubt.

More specifically, cross-server LFD. If LFD was restricted to just your server, it wouldn't be a total loss - even on a packed server, people would recognize you (for good or bad), and would foster a server community.

But when it's pulling from a pool of dozens of servers, everyone is faceless and effectively nameless, and there are no real consequences for being a douchebag.
    This exactly. Before, everyone on the server knew eachother. It was like a big cuddly family haha (jk). That was what made the game alot more awsome back in the day aswell..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    This exactly. Before, everyone on the server knew eachother. It was like a big cuddly family haha (jk). That was what made the game alot more awsome back in the day aswell..
    I mean, it's great to be able to press I and be in a heroic in 30 seconds (eeeeee, tanking!), but I really feel like Blizzard pushing so much cross-server stuff kind of killed the social aspect of WoW... and an MMO without a social aspect is basically just a really shitty single-player RPG.

Granted, LFD isn't the only thing, but it's the only one mentioned in the poll (removal of attunements and resistance-based fights which required a guild to pool resources and effort together is another big one.)
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Although everyone has the right to an opinion. It is a little scary that some people go beyond the obvious and comments stated by others and myself. I'll say it one more time.

The community in WoW is like it is because it CAN.
    If there are features that take away accountability, you can bet your ass people are going to missbehave.
    Lfr/lfd/crz and the like are such features. While before you had server-reputation. Douchebags were dealt with. No longer...

It is the exact reason why we have laws and departments of justice etc. Take those away and rl wil resemble wow a whole lot more and worse.

So I think people who say "the community is bad due to the community" are either shortsighted or naive. Cause this community is no different then any other community. The only difference between this community and others are controlfeatures. It is that simple. Humans will be humans.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-02-06 at 06:57 AM.

None of those hurt any community. People don't want to interact with you because you suck at something. It's like blaming Facebook for the lack of real interaction. People that LIKE to be social, are still being social, that's it. Those that aren't comfortable with it, well, they have a way of dealing with things that suit them better. For example, I hated to look for a fucking tank for 2 hours, just to have the healer go when we got a tank, so yeah, LFD didn't break any community, the community was already fucked up in regard to gameplay. LFD only made the actual GAME playable

A great community like that pictured by the pre-LFD fans / freaks, wouldn't have "fallen apart". But there was no great community, and life sucked. Sure, those loving to chat instead of fucking playing the game, took a hit, because now people can actually play something related to the GAME instead of chatting waiting 3 billion years to form a dungeon group. But there's also Yahoo Messenger and the other things for doing that, so maybe they were using the game for the wrong purpose...

Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    Eve online have 1 server for more than 500k people, and it's far more complicated than WoW. When Blizzard will step aside and merge all servers into one (technology is sufficient for that old game)? As for transfers - go to highest population server and you have a reason to be nice, because you can transfer only to worse servers, which is not an improvement.
    You might want to stop comparing two completely different games. As for the 500k people in Eve, when I tried it there were never more than 40k online at once.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a few things have led to the demise of the community aspect of the game..

1. Too many realms, resulting in an often very thinly spread out playerbase

2. Transfers and name changes abolished the idea that a character, once created, was forever on one realm with the same name. People can just take their raid geared toon and pack up and leave now. Or simply name change and join a different guild (or hell, even the same one... it's happened to me)

3. Dungeon Finder and by extension Raid Finder resulted in lack of intra-community bonds that assembling groups for dungeons had previously formed

That said, there still is a sense of community on my realm at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    None of those hurt any community. .
    I think you are missing the point. Lfr etc are great quality of life enhancing features as you have written. I don't think anyone doubts that. But please read my post above yours. Perhaps you'll understand

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    None of those hurt any community. People don't want to interact with you because you suck at something. It's like blaming Facebook for the lack of real interaction. People that LIKE to be social, are still being social, that's it. Those that aren't comfortable with it, well, they have a way of dealing with things that suit them better. For example, I hated to look for a fucking tank for 2 hours, just to have the healer go when we got a tank, so yeah, LFD didn't break any community, the community was already fucked up in regard to gameplay. LFD only made the actual GAME playable

A great community like that pictured by the pre-LFD fans / freaks, wouldn't have "fallen apart". But there was no great community, and life sucked. Sure, those loving to chat instead of fucking playing the game, took a hit, because now people can actually play something related to the GAME instead of chatting waiting 3 billion years to form a dungeon group. But there's also Yahoo Messenger and the other things for doing that, so maybe they were using the game for the wrong purpose...

You might want to stop comparing two completely different games. As for the 500k people in Eve, when I tried it there were never more than 40k online at once.
    The shitty thing is, right now, everything is build around dungeons.. You can basically level up till 90 while only doing dungeons. It used to be doing quests, and doing dungeons while leveling, just because you got the quests for it. Right now, u spam dungeons to get the the highest level. And by the time you hit 60 or 70, and you had to farm dungeons for the blue gear, you mostly did it with your guild anyway. Dungeons used to be something special, fun and social. Now it's just pressing a button, streamroll through it, and press the queu button again.. Most of the time, there isn't even one word spoken during the dungeons. That's the whole big difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    The shitty thing is, right now, everything is build around dungeons.. You can basically level up till 90 while only doing dungeons. It used to be doing quests, and doing dungeons while leveling, just because you got the quests for it. Right now, u spam dungeons to get the the highest level. And by the time you hit 60 or 70, and you had to farm dungeons for the blue gear, you mostly did it with your guild anyway. Dungeons used to be something special, fun and social. Now it's just pressing a button, streamroll through it, and press the queu button again.. Most of the time, there isn't even one word spoken during the dungeons. That's the whole big difference.
    Dungeon quests do give a lot of XP, but if you enter in progress it doesn't always work. DPS also need to wait a bit in queue. Quests give very good XP, too. I haven't done any direct compare, but if the choice dungeon with no quest and a quest in the world then that's pretty clear. Of course, around 55 you don't wanna quest at The Dark Portal. This is where you start to bake a pie while AFK waiting for queue to pop. Speaking of PvP, you always got BGs, and they're more fair than ever in 5.2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say faction/server transfers. People used to have to re-roll if they wanted to start over or be another faction. There's nothing really forcing a sense of commitment, and so people are lazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    The community hurt itself. It's filled with arrogant, selfish assholes that take pleasures in insulting people just because they're not as good as they are in a game. LFD and the server transfers, imo, have little to nothing to do with how crappy the community is. Like other people have said LFD is not forced on you to use everytime you can still look for groups the old fashioned way (which I thought was the worst thing ever back then). The transfers, I'm not really sure how it damages the community.
    I just can't understand that you think this. I'm sorry I really can't. There have been enough people here explaining why you are wrong.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-02-06 at 08:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    I would say the Activision influencing Blizzards decisions as a company and turning WoW into a more casual friendly type game.
    I'm so sick of people saying this. I can't believe they actually believe this.

Deleted
    LFD/R. I thought it was funny (Even if you could wait forever) to find a group and complete somthing, instead of just the system we know today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    The community has been crap well before LFR or LFD was ever around. I'm glad you all like waiting for hours to do a 5 man or raid that to me isn't fun. Low population servers have this problem my guild has 3-4 people during peek hours.
    Move servers and make friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    The only thing that hurt the community is the community itself.
    Stupid comments like these never help anything and only solve to flame bait. Good job.

Deleted
    Cross realm thingy, people just dont give a shit about doing well and having a name on the server anymore, in vanilla/TBC people cared enough to not get themselves blacklisted or a bad name on the server.

They should have just merged all the low-pops together, why give a shit about someone saying "i like being the only one on the server" - The game was not made for that, its a world of people fighting shit together and against eachother.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    I would say the Activision influencing Blizzards decisions as a company and turning WoW into a more casual friendly type game.
    ...but where is the proof of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Move servers and make friends.
    It would cost me $615 to move to servers, a cost which I have already paid twice as two pvp servers I've played on have gone from balanced to 99%+ Horde. Why should I keep having to shell out because of other people's choices? Are you offering to pay my transfer costs for me? If not your solution seems fairly shallow and unhelpful for people who've actually experienced this.