Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Best solo top champ

Usually I queue with two friends, one ALWAYS plays adc and the other plays mid 90% of the time, leaving me to support, jungle or top. I pretty much have support on lock down, and find it incredibly boring. Jungling is....a weakness of mine. I'm not very good at ganking or invading the other jungle, which is why it's a weakness of mine. I've avoided top like the plague, and I don't know why. I guess I'm just afraid that I'll feed top because of my inexperience there.

That said, I would like to get better at it, so what is your favorite solo top champ? Obviously it depends on who you are playing against top and what your team comp is, but who is your "go-to" top champ? Also, what are some tips for a novice at top? How aggressive should I be at top?

Deleted
    I love to play Cho AP top, and now that ppl seem to like to put bruisers at mid, it is getting even better. I'm not pure top laner btw, I can take whichever spot is needed.
    As for how you should be on the lane, I would say check the other guy 1st, if he is afraid of you, poke him as much as you can (don't forget to ward for the jungler), if he seems to be agressive, let the lane come back, farm under your turret and ask the jungler for a gank if he is nearby. Last, if the guy that you are going against, leaves the lane often, you have 2 choices: pursue him and counter whatever he is doing, or push the lane and make his turret kill your minions, denying him xp/farm.
    Top is fun to play

Deleted
    There are definitely a few champs that are more well rounded than others for solo queue or w/e. I'd recommend learning olaf, since he counters 99% of melee champions hard. Outside of that, the standard jayce / jax / irelia / darius will get you far.

Irelia, Olaf, Darius, Rumble, Jayce, Nidalee are the strongest

edit: oh yeah Shen is up there too, i just keep forgot mention him due the amounts of time hes banned in ranked, if you play him in solo que thats fine.
    Last edited by Vvhooya; 2012-12-22 at 05:58 PM.

Will be missed ~

How do you build these champs mastery/rune wise? Champs like Olaf and such that are considered "bruisers".

Usually either 21 Offense and 9 Defense, or vice versa (9/21). I think it depends on the champion, and your team. Sometimes you need to tank, and sometimes you want to dive the enemy AD carry and murder their face.

Also, I wonder how Kennen would do top now, especially with the influx of short-range bruisers and Teemo. If you play him right, they'll never get you.

Jax, Shen, Darius or Yorick. Superior in 1v1 and that's what top is usually about. Good Yorick/Shen can just steamroll top and stay there forever. Darius can 1v2 with his ulti up, and Jax has just amazing skillset. Shen's ulti gives you some global presence, quite important in many games.
    Last edited by StNimrod; 2012-12-22 at 05:22 PM.

If you never want to die, ever, Malphite.

If you never want to die, ever, and be able to troll the shit out of people, Singed.

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

Quote Originally Posted by Farolok View Post
    If you never want to die, ever, Malphite.

If you never want to die, ever, and be able to troll the shit out of people, Singed.
    I LOVE playing malphite top, only ever get to do it in blind pick normals obviously That ultimate is just so hilarious and fun!

I'm also learning Jax top, very fun, and Volibear I like to play, although he isn't a very strong top lane atm :<

Deleted
    I thought I'd give Elise a spin, long range poke, good ratio's.
    Should keep a lot of champions top away.

Well, not an overly agressive Irelia, she thoroughly owned me.

Deleted
    I find Yorik pretty safe top. If you have as you say, little exp on top i think Yorik will be a safe pick.

Top lane is quite easy to gank so look at your map all the time and always ward. Common sense in other words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alteam View Post
    I find Yorik pretty safe top. If you have as you say, little exp on top i think Yorik will be a safe pick.

Top lane is quite easy to gank so look at your map all the time and always ward. Common sense in other words.
    A note onto alteam's recommendation: if you do decide to play Yorick top, make sure you have all your ghouls out when you wish to engage. 15% damage/damage reduction is fucking huge

Deleted
    I seem to have sucess playing Volibear as a solo top. He can pretty much stay farming top until lvl 6, then afterwards own 1v2 and from lvl 10 can pretty much ignore towers with his ulti up. I level W and Q early, dropping one point in E to make sure I have the slow, but do not finish that skill until the others are maxed out. W pretty much one shots peeps at 50% HP from level 10 so it really, really owns and Q scares the life out of the enemy, watching them run as soon as you drop to all fours! I dont hear much about Volibear though so maybe I'm not the norm....

15+ Year Old Account
    #1 - Don't play scared.

#2 - Learn counter picks.

#3 - Be pro at Singed and laugh hysterically in 95% of games you play...just beware of strong Teemo players.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

I really enjoy playing Malphite solo top, it is very fun and he is strong. I kind of feel invincible. I my last match I went 27/3/12, and I got an indirect penta kill. I ultied into 3 people, 2 of which died from the initial blast, 1 died from my E and the extra hit, and the two remaining I had to chase a little bit but they too, died to my hand/rock/Gauntlet. This was when I just had 8 kills too.

Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, been having ALOT of fun solotop with Dr Mundo, he's just..... Unkillable

Is he not picked often because of something I'm missing with his Solotop performance, or is it just because he's a better pick for Jungle?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

Is he not picked often because of something I'm missing with his Solotop performance, or is it just because he's a better pick for Jungle?
    He has a fast jungle clear, so people pick him there for that strength. It's debatable that his health regen passive doesn't do much as actual sustain that top lane champions typically have.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

Mundo doesn't really need the farm that top lane offers. It's more advantageous to put someone there who can really put the money to use.

Could anyone link me to a good Malphite solo top guide? Interested in trying it, picked him up like a year ago and never actually played him.

Deleted
    SKARNER HANDS DOWN, he's a scorpion and fucks people up