Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

how to lose weight efficiently?

Hey, first time on this part of mmo-c

Firstly I wanna appologize if these types of threads are forbidden or somthing, but im kinda in need of help asap.

So, im 19 years old, soon 20. About 100kg / 220 lbs. I drink about 1-2 coke's every day, and a generally unhealthy lifestyle. Including candy etc in the weekdays.

However, I've decided to turn things around, and get fit and possibly start working out ( ripped ) as a futuristic goal.

What I need help with is. How can I loose weight efficently? I need to burn those pounds off asap. Im willing to go far as to workout and quite far within diet aswell. Considering I've been drinking / eating unhealthy all day long for years, I think its gonna be a hard change. But I wanna give it a go.

TL;DR: I'm fat and I need to lose weight asap. How to do it?

Any help would be deeply appreciated

- Warex

It can't really be understated that the #1 most important thing above all else is diet. I'm not a nutritionist or a personal trainer but consider this: the average person consumes roughly 100 calories for each MILE they run. 100 calories for RUNNING a mile! This can of ginger ale next to me has 160 calories... and to lose weight you just need to consume more calories than you take in right?

When you have the choice between running 4 miles or skipping that bag of potato chips with your lunch... it seems pretty easy!

There are obviously some huge benefits to exercising that I'm completely skipping over, but as far as just losing poundage... diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Shipht View Post
    It can't really be understated that the #1 most important thing above all else is diet. I'm not a nutritionist or a personal trainer but consider this: the average person consumes roughly 100 calories for each MILE they run. 100 calories for RUNNING a mile! This can of ginger ale next to me has 160 calories... and to lose weight you just need to consume more calories than you take in right?

When you have the choice between running 4 miles or skipping that bag of potato chips with your lunch... it seems pretty easy!

There are obviously some huge benefits to exercising that I'm completely skipping over, but as far as just losing poundage... diet!

I know that, most people say that a healthy diet is > all. But I want a healthy diet + workout (mostly jogging) for maxiumum efficenty :P

How tall are you? And is that your real weight? (It matters because the type of exercise/diet that you get recommended can change depending.)

Also, what kind of equipment do you have available to you? Will you be going to a gym, or do you expect to jog around your neighborhood/park, or do you have some stuff at your house?

I'd also like to know if you're working or have school or if you're just at home all day.

Deleted
    Why do people have such an issue with searching or actually looking on the other threads?

Firstly, you've mentioned weight, but not height, that's half the story in figuring out roughly where a healthy weight is!

To start drop the coke/candy & start jogging on a daily basis, it's not the 100% most efficient way to lose weight but what it will do is set you into a routine and one which you can easily adjust as you start to gain fitness without any real impact. So start off 2-3 spells of jogging for 5 minutes split up with walking 3 days a week, after a few weeks you should be able to start cutting down the recovery period (walking) til it gets to maybe 90 seconds or increase the time spent jogging. That should give you good, stable weight loss over time particularly as you start to gain fitness & increase your effort.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Hey, first time on this part of mmo-c

Firstly I wanna appologize if these types of threads are forbidden or somthing, but im kinda in need of help asap.

So, im 19 years old, soon 20. About 100kg / 220 lbs. I drink about 1-2 coke's every day, and a generally unhealthy lifestyle. Including candy etc in the weekdays.

However, I've decided to turn things around, and get fit and possibly start working out ( ripped ) as a futuristic goal.

What I need help with is. How can I loose weight efficently? I need to burn those pounds off asap. Im willing to go far as to workout and quite far within diet aswell. Considering I've been drinking / eating unhealthy all day long for years, I think its gonna be a hard change. But I wanna give it a go.

TL;DR: I'm fat and I need to lose weight asap. How to do it?

Any help would be deeply appreciated

- Warex
    Exercise is largely irrelevant for fat loss and in many cases actually hurts your attempts to lose weight. If I need to get more detailed as to why, I will, because I know people will jump in here pretending that hitting the gym or going on 40 mile runs every day are somehow crucial elements to fat loss. They aren't.

Cut out the junk food. No sugar - no candy, no cokes, no cakes, no flour, no any of that shit. Do that and you'll lose fat, quickly, and be far healthier. It's really very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    How tall are you? And is that your real weight? (It matters because the type of exercise/diet that you get recommended can change depending.)

Also, what kind of equipment do you have available to you? Will you be going to a gym, or do you expect to jog around your neighborhood/park, or do you have some stuff at your house?

I'd also like to know if you're working or have school or if you're just at home all day.

about 175cm (give or take 1) and about 100kg (give or take 5)

I'll probably be going to the gym, I do prefer useing the treadmill in the gym over running outside atm(Because its so easy to change speed / inclination etc) But I'll probably start running outside in the "park/forrest" when its getting abit nicer weather. Like snow here in norway atm.

Ive been going out and in of school. Currenty just finished my job so no work atm. Might get back into school after the summer tho.

move more, eat less

about 175cm (give or take 1) and about 100kg (give or take 5)

I'll probably be going to the gym, I do prefer useing the treadmill in the gym over running outside atm(Because its so easy to change speed / inclination etc) But I'll probably start running outside in the "park/forrest" when its getting abit nicer weather. Like snow here in norway atm.

Ive been going out and in of school. Currenty just finished my job so no work atm. Might get back into school after the summer tho.
    Running and cardio in general are terrible for fat loss. The exercise is only going to make you hungrier and can often result in you eating more calories as a result than you'll ever burn.

Only do these things if you really want to up your endurance for some reason. Otherwise, just stick to eating healthy OR go to the gym strictly for weight lifting to gain muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Exercise is largely irrelevant for fat loss and in many cases actually hurts your attempts to lose weight. If I need to get more detailed as to why, I will, because I know people will jump in here pretending that hitting the gym or going on 40 mile runs every day are somehow crucial elements to fat loss. They aren't.

Cut out the junk food. No sugar - no candy, no cokes, no cakes, no flour, no any of that shit. Do that and you'll lose fat, quickly, and be far healthier. It's really very easy.
    I do understand, but as said in my recent reply to the other guy. I dont have a job atm, and unsure if I cba. Even If I get one it will probably just be 5-6 hours a day.

I want to do this as efficently as possible. Even tho jogging etc might not be that efficent, it will still be better than sitting home gaming :P

I do understand, but as said in my recent reply to the other guy. I dont have a job atm, and unsure if I cba. Even If I get one it will probably just be 5-6 hours a day.

I want to do this as efficently as possible. Even tho jogging etc might not be that efficent, it will still be better than sitting home gaming :P
    Again, this can be argued to not be true at all. The idea that you will eat identical amounts of calories while jogging than you would while sitting (assuming you're eating healthy foods) is a very very VERY flawed one and has been shown numerous times to not be true.

Weight lifting can be useful. Cardio is not useful.

If you have until the end of the summer with nothing to do but focus on your weight loss you can trim down completely.

You already know what we're gonna say. Diet + exercise. If you have the time work out 2-3 times a day, and eat healthily + in very small portions. If you stick with it you'll lose a lot of weight.

When I was 17 I went from ~110 to ~75 kg in about a year, almost exclusively through changing my eating habits. Basically what I did was:

- Anything that makes your blood sugar level spike: avoid it like the plague. I.e. anything with added sugar (especially sugary drinks), honey, high fructose corn syrup, candy, low cocoa chocolate, white bread etc. as well as stuff like grapes, bananas, fruit juice, ...
    - When you eat stuff with medium impact on your blood sugar (e.g. spaghetti, whole grain bread, ...) don't eat it together with fatty foods. And vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove candy, chocolate, sugared drinks, chips, chewing gum, beer, juices, energy drinks, fast food from your diet. Eat 6 smaller instead of 3 bigger meals every day. Focus on fruits, meat, vegetables and only drink water to sate your thirst.

Adding to that, I'd recommend finding a sport to play, for example tennis, taekwondo, volleyball, bandminton, squash etc. or just plain jogging. Hitting the weights only comes in once you've established yourself on a stable diet in my opinion.

However, the nutshell remains: if you want to lose weight, you need to eat less than you consume.

I'll have to thank everybody for the constructive feedback But to get into abit more detail. How should I "diet" I mean. Atm Im like:

Dinners from last night / sandwich for breakfast with a coke

Usually some warm food for lunch, possibly another sandwich.

Then dinner might be frozen pizza(or generally frozen products) or some pasta dish.

then for (lack of better word) evening meal I eat like a plate with dinner if I had more.

How should I change this? When should I eat and what type of food?

I eat almost everything except fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    When I was 17 I went from ~110 to ~75 kg in about a year, almost exclusively through changing my eating habits. Basically what I did was:

- Anything that makes your blood sugar level spike: avoid it like the plague. I.e. anything with added sugar (especially sugary drinks), honey, high fructose corn syrup, candy, low cocoa chocolate, white bread etc. as well as stuff like grapes, bananas, fruit juice, ...
    - When you eat stuff with medium impact on your blood sugar (e.g. spaghetti, whole grain bread, ...) don't eat it together with fatty foods. And vice versa.
    Are you saying you didn't exercise at all?

(And I don't mean specifically cardio when I say "exercise.")

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 02:28 PM ----------

Well you seem to be eating a lot of cold cuts/frozen foods. You're gonna have to cook more lol.

Deleted
    I never quite understood calories.

I was told that, as the first reply says, a ginger ale has 160 calories in it, and that i'd need to run more than a mile in order to get rid of that again, so i never understood why i wasn't extremely obese to begin with.

The way i've understood it now, is that my body burns about 2500 calories a day. If i wanna lose weight, i should eat/drink less than that (which im having a hard time with, 1 bag of chips = 1500 calories, wtf?). It needs to be the right stuff that you eat as well.

Diet is the most important, and i'm pretty sure sleep is very very important as well. I've been working out for 4 days a week for nearly a year now, eating somewhat healthy, sleeping 5 hours a night and i'm not ripped yet :<

oh yea, and cardio > all, i never did cardio because i hate it, but i'm gonna start doing it in a couple of weeks.

ok, i let you on in a little secret here

breakfast ist very important, it starts your metabolism, you want carbohydrates in the morning...in the evening do NOT eat any carbohydrates AT ALL!!!!

what u want to eat is something like eggs, fish or chicken strips that you can cook in a skillet (the chicken may have 1g of carbohydrates, but thats not tragic)...basically something that is carbohydrate-free and with alot of proteins.

the proteins will keep your feeling for hunger down and avoiding carbohydrates in the evening will let your body burn fat in your sleep...eating carbohydrates at night will block the cells that are responsible for that mechanism.

without any exercise i lost 11kg so far (though it took me 2-3 months) but it works for me, i get up at 12pm, so lunch is my breakfast and in the evening i make myself some eggs, fish or chicken...and thx to that i dont eat alot anymore really...not even a plate full at lunch nor at dinner...had to start eating some bars with fiber in it though since i lacked that lol

Of course that's not enough, you will have to excercise lol

I need to burn those pounds off asap.
    No, you don't. If you go into this thinking you'll see a major change within the first week you'll either have to change your lifestyle so dramatically that you'll crash and burn, or you'll get depressed and quit when you don't transform into a total hunk right away. Start eating a bit healthier, go jogging once or twice a week, and you'll get there soon enough.