Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    New item, same enchant, same gems...oh how enjoyable!

Some spec's get a little more out of it I guess, when you have haste breakpoints and other caps..but eh..in the end it's not very good customization. It's not like you can go for a "crit build" cause there's always going to be a 'best, no matter what...I wouldn't miss it.

Yes I would miss them. I like the idea of enchanting and gemming gear to enhance my gear or to personalize it.
    I hope they increase the number of enchants and gems though... maybe add some cool things instead of just being mandatory stat-boosters.

If they take everything option to customize away then gearing will become boring.

What I really like to see is that gear-specialization comes from gems, enchants and even reforging.
    Basically what this means is that there will be only 1 type of gear dropping, 1 type of plate, 1 type mail, 1 type leather and 1 type cloth.
    ALL customizations will be done using gems, enchants and reforging (and maybe some new feature).
    Also upgrading armor could play a role here, cause I kind of like the feature.

I haven't worked out the whole thing, just thaught it would be nice and at the same it would decrease development time for gear.
    Instead of making 3 plate-set, 1 would be enough. They would be differently gemmed, enchanted and reforged. With the upgrade system, additions could me made.

Wouldn't miss enchanting, but I'd like to keep the gems. Reforging is cool because you can take shit stats away for the good stuff, and gems are easier to work with because they're flat stats most of the time. Enchanting is annoying because you can't do it on every item, they have some odd effects on some items, and there are just too many by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    Yes I would miss them. I like the idea of enchanting and gemming gear to enhance my gear or to personalize it.
    I hope they increase the number of enchants and gems though... maybe add some cool things instead of just being mandatory stat-boosters.

If they take everything option to customize away then gearing will become boring.

What I really like to see is that gear-specialization comes from gems, enchants and even reforging.
    Basically what this means is that there will be only 1 type of gear dropping, 1 type of plate, 1 type mail, 1 type leather and 1 type cloth.
    ALL customizations will be done using gems, enchants and reforging (and maybe some new feature).
    Also upgrading armor could play a role here, cause I kind of like the feature.

I haven't worked out the whole thing, just thought it would be nice and at the same it would decrease development time for gear.
    Instead of making 3 plate-set, 1 would be enough. They would be differently gemmed, enchanted and reforged. With the upgrade system, additions could me made.
    That would remove (or at least reduce) RNG severely. If you haven't noticed yet, Blizzard for some twisted reason thinks that RNG = fun and exciting, so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Deleted
    I hate the idea of getting a new weapon that is an upgrade and not being able to use it because I need to gem/reforge/enchant.

I wouldn't miss them to be honest, but on the other hand they are good to have to tweaking stats (But then reforge by itself is good enough). Scrap enchanting and gemming!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What I'd like to see is more variety of enchants that allow you to pick the right one for your spec instead of getting something mostly worthless but used so you're not "missing an enchant".
    I agree that the lack of variety of enchants is really dull as the only real "choice" is whether to get the best wrist/weapon enchant, and that that is purely down to availability/cost of the upgrade and the level of the item itself. It's very much like reforging, except there's not necessarily the optimisation because all but 2 enchants are basically fixed for you already, but then offering that variety would just make it Reforging 2.0. So then I was thinking about maybe replacing Reforging with Enchanting, but realised I hated Reforging anyway because it's either 'too involved and mathy' or 'not involved at all because you get an addon to do it for you': Either way, to me it just feels totally extraneous to the game 'visit vendor, click to optimise'. So really, if anything else, it could certainly be put to better cosmetic use.

I like that JC offers a means of juggling stats to better optimise what you have and offers an avenue to make non-tier pieces more desirable (another subject GC touched on); but as a profession I think the current system of just 'resetting' each expansion with new gems to do the same thing with another slew of recipes just isn't sustainable.

Either way, I don't think any of the three methods of item "upgrades", I use inverted commas because they're not upgrades at all, they're expected baseline stats, are really necessary; one would suffice to fill that role even though it would only ever provide an illusion of control since you'd still pursue the 'BiS list' around which you're balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    its part of the game so yeah

Deleted
    Gemming, yes.

Enchanting, not really but i still want the effects of it. The thing here is that its pretty much dumping gold and there is no choise, you just pick the BiS enchant.

Deleted
    Gemming is pretty unecessary since it doesnt bring any customizing to the game as some people might think.
    There is always one BEST way to gem and enchant for a specific class/spec so i dont really see the fun in that.

Making gemming and enchanting into something cosmetic would be awesome imo. Reforging could go to hell.
    It might be the most boring addition to this game in years.

I wouldnt miss any of that shit since it just gives a false feeling of "free will" when in fact there is only a very limited
    amount of ways to do it right.

Deleted
    Why cant blizzard just make multiple amount of viable option to specialize characters. Game as it is now, does not give real options.

It would be easy to make that change. Just make different kind of builds OP as hell so they can 100% quaranteedly be viable.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a problem with the concepts, it's a problem with the implementation. Even though they've tried to simplify things, they just keep creating something new to gum it up.

Here's what needs to happen:

1) Reforging needs to go away. It's cumbersome, widely varied, and everyone uses the internet spreadsheet wizards to tell them what to do anyways.

2) Hit and expertise need to just be hit. Completely stupid to have this additional stat if you wanted simplicty. It overly complicates the stats and caps you have to hit.

Stats should only be 4 majors, 3 minors: Stam, Str, Agi, Int. --Crit, Haste, Hit

3) Gems need to be expanded on for more unique varieties like enchanting. Instead of simply stats, have interesting procs for abilities etc.

4) Enchants are pretty solid and everyone is very used to the system.

Not sure how this is so complicated for them to get through their heads over there. They need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel, because they aren't really good at it.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I'd miss enchanting, they're a bit more interesting.

Gems are pretty boring.

Reforging is the worst of the lot though, wish that was gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    And once again, GC is talking about (potentially) carving another slice off the game in order to make it "better". It really makes me wonder (only-half sarcastically) how long it will be before they get rid of those pesky 'leveling' and 'class' impediments... Personally, I'd prefer for Blizzard to come out and admit that those currently in charge of development hate the game the earlier version of their company created.

Deleted
    Definately would. Thing that bothers me atm is that enchants and gemming aren't really equal regarding stat choice. I'd like more enchants.

As a tank I would miss gemming. That gives a lot of choice about how you want to be.
    Enchanting I don't think I would at all, that's pretty standardized and I never deviate.

As a dps, where it's pretty much all computed for you rather than allowing for "style", I would pretty much want both gone just because they're an annoyance. Though I think dps stats in general are rather dull, considering how inflexible they are. There's a right answer and wrong answers when gearing a dps, something Blizz says they kind of want to shy away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    He already wants to delete racials, is it surprising he wants to delete any other form of min/maxing?

Hoping his eventual replacement will have a computer science background...
    It's not min/maxing if everyone uses the same. Might as well have none then. Now If I could choose to stack crit/haste/mastery/strength depending on my preferred playstyle without losing a lot of DPS it would be a system worth keeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Enchanting yes, gemming? Nope, They could easily replace all the gems with trinket crafting and more rings and necklaces and make gems required in other high end recipes.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    It's not min/maxing if everyone uses the same. Might as well have none then. Now If I could choose to stack crit/haste/mastery/strength depending on my preferred playstyle without losing a lot of DPS it would be a system worth keeping.
    You go to a site, you find what to gem and enchant and you do it, i cant see how thats fun

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    without losing a lot of DPS it would be a system worth keeping.
    And that's the problem, you don't lose A LOT of dps as it is. But you lose some, making you inefficient. The only way for gems to be a purely playstyle choice they'd have to make sure all choices net the same DPS or are better for some situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    He isn't talking about it.
    Someone complained about it and he started that discussion.
    Yeah, I think it's fair to note that his point literally is to compare the value that a player receives from gemming/enchanting gear against the hassle of doing it on a regular basis as gear changes. I don't think he's proposing removing either profession from the game at all. But getting people's opinions on how they feel about what they need to do with it are a valuable thing as they move forward. Whatever they do in the future, I sense a major change to all professions is in the works. The current system is ancient and hasn't really changed all that much in eight years.

On the other hand, it could just as easily be an offhand remark that doesn't mean anything.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."