Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Would you miss gemming and enchanting?"

From GC's twitter feed someone made this comment:
    So many ilvls of each piece + reforge + gems, enchants, enhances is making gear overwhelming. Too many choices/variables
    to which GC replied:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ignoring the damage it might do to professions, would you miss gemming and enchanting?
    The important bit is the thought experiment of what that might do to professions? I'll admit that gearing choices can be a bit overwhelming these days unless you're simply working off of a BIS list.

For me personally, this is the most interesting thing to pop out of GC's head in a while assuming that it's something that is in the back of his mind.

So, what do you think?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I would miss it. I like gemming and enchanting to get that last bit of stats, or to adjust your secondaries. Depending on haste levels, for me, gems change. Plus they change as my hit/exp caps are reached so I swap out gems to make my gear more efficient.

What I'd like to see is more variety of enchants that allow you to pick the right one for your spec instead of getting something mostly worthless but used so you're not "missing an enchant".

I certainly would not. With every piece of equipment I aquire, with every weapon I win (okay, I don't win any, freaking rng) I have the joyfull feeling of being 1 step ahead on stairs of badassery - but this feeling gets a bitter taste of "ffs, now I need to spend 500 gold to gem and enchant this. At least 500". It's just another tedious thing to do, that doesn't add anything to the game itself, but one bullshit profession. Is it such a bad idea to concentrate JC only on vanity items and jewelery?

Deleted
    Yes i would miss it, it allows me to tailor my gear more towards what stats i need to optimize my performance, different classes needs different stats even if they use the same resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would a little, but I think I'd eventually get over it. Hit and expertise would be something I LOVE to see go away.

He already wants to delete racials, is it surprising he wants to delete any other form of min/maxing?

Hoping his eventual replacement will have a computer science background...

No. The only thing I would miss about enchanting is the neat effects that it puts on my weapons. Other than that, it's just more gold I have to shell out to gear my characters up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I certainly would not. With every piece of equipment I aquire, with every weapon I win (okay, I don't win any, freaking rng) I have the joyfull feeling of being 1 step ahead on stairs of badassery - but this feeling gets a bitter taste of "ffs, now I need to spend 500 gold to gem and enchant this. At least 500". It's just another tedious thing to do, that doesn't add anything to the game itself, but one bullshit profession. Is it such a bad idea to concentrate JC only on vanity items and jewelery?
    other than making it worthless compared to every other profession?
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    He already wants to delete racials, is it surprising he wants to delete any other form of min/maxing?

Hoping his eventual replacement will have a computer science background...
    And he would be doing the game a favor by deleting racials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    No. The only thing I would miss about enchanting is the neat effects that it puts on my weapons. Other than that, it's just more gold I have to shell out to gear my characters up.
    Pretty much this. It's a silly gold sink that could be resolved by making reforging slightly more sophisticated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't lament its demise for PVE, but I would miss it for PVP because there is more choice for gemming and enchanting with that.

I like the customization they allow. I'd miss them.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    There is about as much 'customization' with enchantments as there was with the old talent trees. You either take the correct enchantments or are immediately identified as mentally deficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    If by customization you mean, doing what is optimal otherwise you're doing it wrong, then yeah I agree they do offer quite a bit of customization.

10+ Year Old Account
    gems and enchants are the exciting part of getting new gear upgrades. reforging on the other hand.. is not. i get that there are math whizzes out there that prolly love this aspect. i hate it myself. ive never been in a world first top ten guild, but i also fail to see where doing 300 dps less because of a reforge item makes a difference. i mean if a group fails on a boss by .1% there was more wrong in the group attempt then my missing 300 dps. honestly i think reforging allows blizzard to be lazy and not prioritize gear stats for each class. see also spirit gear and casters.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    other than making it worthless compared to every other profession?
    You're supposed to ignore that part for the moment

Personally, I'd like to see a different design in professions altogether in which you wouldn't really be limited as to the number of them that you could take or what you could do with them. There's some interesting things you could do with synergies between professions in that case. Of course, if they did anything like that (not saying they ever will) then I suppose people would feel forced to take them all to max.

On the flip side of that argument though is if the design goal for an expansion is to continue to keep end game players busy, it would make sense. A lot of my former alts used to exist solely for the purpose of creating a professions empire with all of them covered. Having all of it in one main would be fine with me. In that case, gemming and enchanting could be repurposed toward something else I suppose although I have no idea whatsoever what that would be.

I'd be happy enough to be able to create my own gear out of whatever material is at hand, gem and enchant it the way I like and then either use it or sell it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-03 at 08:55 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    I'd miss Enchanting but I've never liked gems. I think one means of item upgrade per slot is enough really.

Everything is kind of tuned around it though. If there are a bunch of secondary stats people will want to fine-tune what they get.

To be honest I'd like to see Dodge and Parry merged into one stat, and Mastery and Expertise removed. Then Jewelcrafting, instead of offering stat increases, could offer what I'd call tertiary perks like 1% run speed gems

If anything, gemming and enchanting are a liability. As far as customization is considered there's none as you're always just tossing in the "optimal" thing icyveins or elitist jerks are tell you to. (at least back in the day they helped you get to the caps if your gear came up short) But Blizzard does balance content around the assumption that you have them, so they aren't really an advantage to have either. All they contribute to the game is making you feel like you're sub par if you DON'T spend a stupid amount of gold them. Such as it is, if they were simply to remove them then they would simply balance the content around your not having them, so they really aren't helping you by existing.

Id miss them. Both of my primary professions is gemming and enchanting. They would need to really compensate for the stats youd lose from the gemming and enchanting process. Take away the gems and enchants and that's a ton of stats just gone. Not to mention both of my professions gone. Id have to start two professions all over. I would be soo mad.

Deleted
    Would like to see gathering professions gain more useful stat bonuses too, right now you are being funneled into having 2 crafting ones if you want to stay competitive even if having a crafting + gathering would benefit you in other ways as the stat boosts are not as good.