Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    He already wants to delete racials, is it surprising he wants to delete any other form of min/maxing?

Hoping his eventual replacement will have a computer science background...
    He's a fine designer and developer who has helped make the game evolve for the market and thus save Blizzard from having subscribers go from 12 million to 0.

He'll be staying around for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    gems and enchants are the exciting part of getting new gear upgrades. reforging on the other hand.. is not. i get that there are math whizzes out there that prolly love this aspect. i hate it myself. ive never been in a world first top ten guild, but i also fail to see where doing 300 dps less because of a reforge item makes a difference. i mean if a group fails on a boss by .1% there was more wrong in the group attempt then my missing 300 dps. honestly i think reforging allows blizzard to be lazy and not prioritize gear stats for each class. see also spirit gear and casters.
    Reforging was made for that very reason because it would be impossible for Blizzard to make 1 piece of gear optimal to every spec that can use it. If you just added that many items onto a loot table for a boss so that each piece is optimal for at least 1 class/spec/slot you'd have loot tables that were so bloated it would take several expansions to gear out a raid team.

10+ Year Old Account
    I most likely wouldn't miss it. In way, it's cute and all that we get to "empower" our pieces of gear, but in the end, it's nothing more than a hassle. We have our gemming and enchanting pre-determined. There is one or at most, two options for each slot/gem color, depending on which class/spec we're playing, if we're doing PvE or PvP, or depending on certain cap priorities being filled or not. I would not miss it, min-maxing is, for me, one of the things that contribute to making the game less fun. That's about the only thing I miss about being a noob back in TBC: there wasn't such a huge knowledge that caused people to mathematically determine the absolute best setup for a character to use. I don't mean that it simply didn't exist; it most definitely did. But it wasn't so... prevalent. These days if you use a less than optimal setup, even if it's just a 1% dps difference, people can and will jump at your throat for it.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2013-02-03 at 09:01 PM. Reason: TBC, not Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think losing enchants would feel wrong, but it's something I'd get used to eventually. The only one of the four item upgrade systems I'd really miss is reforging.

If I were in charge of fixing the item upgrade systems, what I would do is keep reforging, modify gemming, and get rid of enchanting and point upgrades. Gems would stay as they are, mostly, except colors would probably go away. The big difference would be sockets: each item would have a set number of sockets based on slot, and every item of the same slot would have the same sockets. Helms would keep their meta socket, and weapons would get a new socket specifically for them with special gems that work like weapon enchants do now. That would make gemming essentially take over from enchanting, but since gems cover every stat it would be far more flexible, while also losing the socket restrictions gemming currently has.

It's kind of too bad that they built two professions around gemming and enchanting, though, because it means that those two systems are basically here to stay.

Gemming I wouldn't miss. Enchanting has been since Vanilla and that would be weird.

I wouldn´t miss it. It's not really a fun activity, it's just something you have to do and you don't really have much choices either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd miss them dearly. It's part of the gear treadmill to have to gem and enchant your gear. If anything there should be more choices in enchants, like there are in gems, not limiting the choice by removing things.

I can see this leading to a simplification though. No longer have those weird crit/stam gems in game, but just a few key choices, same with enchanting, BUT make them more powerful so they are still needed to keep the professions relevant. Kind of like the transition of the Talents system. No longer putting points in and getting mandatory upgrades, but a few key choices that completely change what you are doing. Same thing here, few key choices that matter, compared to the jungle of changes there are now.

If they ever remove professions though, I'd seriously wonder what the hell they think they are doing.

They need to ADD more things to the game, not remove and dumb down the few things that remain. They already dumbed down stats massively, removing enchants and gems would just be sad and disappointing.

Hope they DON'T do it. More so, i'd like more enchanting options instead of cookie-cutter choices for every slot. I'd like more variety on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Id miss them. Both of my primary professions is gemming and enchanting. They would need to really compensate for the stats youd lose from the gemming and enchanting process. Take away the gems and enchants and that's a ton of stats just gone. Not to mention both of my professions gone. Id have to start two professions all over. I would be soo mad.
    You could still craft jewelry, you know what your profession is named after. Enchanting could just be changed to make wands, offhands, and int based one-handed weapons.

Deleted
    I'm an enchanter, i miss only 2 recepies in the entire game (ulduar ones), i can, except for the loss of money i would suffer (made somwhere around 3-500k gold from enchanting) not say that i would miss enchanting at all. It's just another goldsink with only one enchant available for each role that is acceptable for raiding. The cheaper alternatives is for alts you don't care much about.
    With that being said i think that enchants should be "learned" like glyphs but account wide so the money you spend would be for an entire expansion. So that all characters that you play and level would be able to have proper enchants at all times, make more enchants so that you can switch them like talents and glyph for certain fights.
    Because they are now a goldsink everyone is required to have for raiding and it's static, top of the line enchants will most likely be top of the line for the entire expansion.

Say that you would have 5 different "GREAT" enchants for each role that would be kinda situational and instead of just having 2k more int for a short time duplicate a spell every now and then like tarcegosa did or you gain a static stat every second you stand still that would fade abit if you moved and when it hit max it would give you a short powerful buff and then reset.
    o that you can switch enchants from fights with patchwerk mechanic to fights with twin val'kyr mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Reforging was made for that very reason because it would be impossible for Blizzard to make 1 piece of gear optimal to every spec that can use it. If you just added that many items onto a loot table for a boss so that each piece is optimal for at least 1 class/spec/slot you'd have loot tables that were so bloated it would take several expansions to gear out a raid team.
    ehh.. their loot tables are broke anyway. never understood why each piece of gear didnt have the same drop chance. you can go months (thanks firelands) without getting an upgrade. not to mention putting clumps of gear on the same bosses instead of spreading them out. rings and belts come to mind here.. in practically every tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I've had to use gems and enchants of my gear for so long now that it would feel very strange to not have to do it anymore, like I'm missing out on something that should make my character stronger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    I most likely wouldn't miss it. In way, it's cute and all that we get to "empower" our pieces of gear, but in the end, it's nothing more than a hassle. We have our gemming and enchanting pre-determined. There is one or at most, two options for each slot/gem color, depending on which class/spec we're playing, if we're doing PvE or PvP, or depending on certain cap priorities being filled or not. I would not miss it.
    An idea would be to possibly merge Inscription and Enchanting (given that flavor-wise, they're very similar), and rather than have piece by piece enchantments you have three slots: Weapon Enchantments, which are similar to glyphs but offer throughput procs/buffs, Armor Enchantments which offer defensive buffs and procs, and Utility Enchantments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gemming yes for some reason. Enchanting no as long as they made up for the dps loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I would, because I really don't want to relevel another profession.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    Enchanting should be weapon only.
    Enchanting should contribute to other professions f.e. and enchantment buff for 5 min to increase ore mined/herbs gathered etc.
    Gems should stay the way they are now, only restrict one gem per slot + one meta for helmet.
    No more enchanting gear for that lil stats. Let Gems do that.

Result:
    We have reforge to adjust our gear. We have gems to add stats. We enchants for weapons.

Enchanting should have:
    Buff scrolls (useful for levelling/parties when buffs from players are missing. Player buffs are superior end-game wise)
    Profession buff scrolls (Useful for that extra bit of bonus for your professions)
    Weapon buffs like we have now.
    Maybe for the future: Weapon glow effect scrolls. adjusts the glow effects of your weapons.
    Shoulder enchants should stay as long as they give a stat + extra effect bonus.

Gems:
    Should be adjusted for 1 gem/slot. Helm is meta slot + 1 gem slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    ehh.. their loot tables are broke anyway. never understood why each piece of gear didnt have the same drop chance. you can go months (thanks firelands) without getting an upgrade. not to mention putting clumps of gear on the same bosses instead of spreading them out. rings and belts come to mind here.. in practically every tier.
    Because there isn't the same number of people playing each role/class/spec. If it were a perfect world and you'd somehow need 8 tanks in a raid then sure each item would probably have the same chance to drop but as long as a game has classes that are actually different that will never happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, for both of them.

Why? Reforging should be enough item recustomisation, with costs controlled by the game, and not by Chinese Gold Farmers and Auction House bots.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

all you people complaing about it being a gold sink must be poor as all hell in game. The enchants are dirt cheap on my mediocre realm and it's a necessary gold sink. Otherwise other stuff will go up in price to compensate and you will all be here whining that you miss gems/enchants cause now the servers economy is effed.

OT: Yes I would miss it, it's really not complex at all. I don't have all the time in the world to play but I can still take the five minutes it takes to run a SimC of my character to get stat values and base my gem choices off that. Then take another 2 minutes to go to wowpopular/noxxic/icyveins and see what enchants the current spec of whatever character I play should have. Even then, if you have any clue about the class you play, alt or not, you should have some form of idea on how to gear it.

IF JC and enchanting were taken out more of you would complain that they are simplifying the game too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    other than making it worthless compared to every other profession?
    There's Leatherworking, a profession that creates items for 4 classes. And JC would create items for ALL classes. How is that worthless?

And what sense does that make to have gems anyway, if it doesn't involve any fun, creativity or customisation? The WoW is evolving, gems always have to.

Consider hunters gloves. They have a blue socket, with 60 crit socket bonus. Every hunter will place a pure agility gem there, without exception. Why put anything else in the slot? This is just mundane busyjob everybody HAS to do, to get additional 160 agility. "Hey pal, wanna have full potential in those gloves? Pay us then, 150 gold for a gem". How is that remotely fun? You got your item <WEEEEE> but you have to gem it now <AWWWW>.

Elements like that should be removed. Same with hit/exp haste and no-brainer enchants. They just don't make you have any more fun, just make you do another mundane, boring thing every time you do something awesome - get an item.