Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I would absolutely miss it. I wish gearing was deeper. I definitely don't want it to be even more limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    sure i would , its a core of rpg mechanics to put something in/on your gear to make it better

I would, because they do allow me greater customization (pick which gems i want, and some of different enchants are ~equal), plus i got multiple jc's / chanters so would be a waste.

Enchanting has to stay no matter what. I like gemming but I find reforging and upgrading to be a bit much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Enchanting has to stay no matter what. I like gemming but I find reforging and upgrading to be a bit much.
    Don't worry. I'd be very surprised if anything got removed.

GC probably just wanted to get a discussion going to see what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    sure i would , its a core of rpg mechanics to put something in/on your gear to make it better
    What? No. There's tons of RPGs that don't give you the option to alter pieces of gear.

OT: As much of a pain it is to enchant/gem gear sometimes, Blizzards way of distributing stats among items and how they are available have always been terrible. For example, the majority of cloth gear in T13 had a certain lack of crit attached to them, and until 5.1 came, the only way you could get crit on your caster rings (without reforging obviously) was killing Galleon...yeah.

It would also make reaching caps a bigger pain in the ass, so really, gems/enchants are a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Completely agree on the item upgrades. That system needs to go and stay gone. All it does is force people to grind VPs when they've already maxed their characters. Because the cost is so high, VP is always better spent on new gear than an upgrade, so it is not a meaningful choice, rather just another hoop to jump through for min/max-ers and another ilvl of stats to contribute to stat inflation.

Caveat: JP upgrades to blue gear is a good catch up mechanism and I don't have a problem with spending the old-tier points on old-tier gear upgrades to get your foot in the door of the next raid tier. Particularly at the 1500JP /8ilvls, this is not an overpowered option.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. You get an item, then you gem it, enchant it, reforge it, ilvl upgrade it, transmog it - you serve your items instead of them serving you. It would be fine if there was just 1 layer of upgrades, and not on all items. What we have now is overkill. I also thought that one profession for item upgrades would be enough.
    Last edited by Haven; 2013-02-04 at 12:37 AM.

Deleted
    When i level a character I always put enchants on my gear, like from 85-90 putting enchants meant for lvl 90's on your gear really makes a HUGE difference and especially here i feel a huge boost in power level, almost 9000 in fact, this is something people rarely do since enchants are not free, but having the ability/option to artificially make you low level character more powerful is appealing to a lot of players, and this is the main reason there is a market for blue gear overlapping expansions.

This is not the main reason i like enchanting tho, it brings some value to items in the game that would otherwise be worthless like most BoE green items would be instant vendor trash essentially being looked upon as grey items, instead this profession can take those otherwise worthless items and transform them into powerful upgrades for your gear. Just because it's mainstream now to have your gear end-game enchanted doesn't mean it's a useless thing to have in the game, bringing some sort of value to other things in the game is a good thing in my book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely agree on the item upgrades. That system needs to go and stay gone. All it does is force people to grind VPs when they've already maxed their characters. Because the cost is so high, VP is always better spent on new gear than an upgrade, so it is not a meaningful choice, rather just another hoop to jump through for min/max-ers and another ilvl of stats to contribute to stat inflation.
    Agreed! I hate it a lot.
    JP pimping can stay. Facilitates being able to get into LFR for alts.

God no I wouldn't miss it. They could give us a little more stats built-in and then it would be one less thing to optimize. We'd still have reforging.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Hell no. You get an item, then you gem it, enchant it, reforge it, ilvl upgrade it, transmog it - you serve your items instead of them serving you. It would be fine if there was just 1 layer of upgrades, and not on all items. What we have now is overkill. I also thought that one profession for item upgrades would be enough.
    What we have now isn't anywhere near enough. It's disappointingly shallow honestly.

i for one would miss it. plus what's with all this spending a ton of gold for all of it. that is what alts and guild members are for. i haven't spent money on enchants in forever and very little on gems. its not like everybody is broke, what else are you really going to spend your gold on. if you can't drop a couple 100g on some gems/enchants you need to look at what your doing wrong. you can very easily make that up in 1 day. if anything i would love to see that gems/enchants change the look of gear a bit. not just the shine on weapons.

gemming yes
    enchanting not really

enchanting due to its limited choices per slot is for the most a no brainer, gemming gives a true flexibility of choice

With reforging, they are redundent. You can how hit caps through just changing the stats on gear. I would not miss it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    What we have now isn't anywhere near enough. It's disappointingly shallow honestly.
    You sound like you wouldn't be happy until you could change Cloth Int gear into Strength Plate.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

I wouldn't miss them at all. They are so one-dimensional that they don't really offer any options outside of filling the gaps for hit/exp caps.

Instead they should go back to the old gearing model where not everything were primary/stam/secondary/secondary. Some gear without stam, some gear with high hit/exp etc should make gearing more involved and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    You sound like you wouldn't be happy until you could change Cloth Int gear into Strength Plate.
    Yes, clearly I want to break the game fundamentally.

That's obviously what I want to happen to fill the lack of gearing and stat mechanics.

sigh.

Deleted
    I would definitely miss them, but mostly for nostalgic reason. The game would probably benefit from not having such a strong emphasis on enchanting/gemming. Reforging could make up for it.

Enchanting is fine, but I don't believe gems have worked out well and I would not miss them. I would also not miss Reforging.

I don't know what Blizzard's actual intent for the gem system was, but right now gems offer two things: It's an extra layer of augmentation and 'customization' (which I think was the real intent), secondly it's another medium for theorycrafters to mix/max their characters. I'm sure many people will disagree but I don't believe the concept of min/maxxing and "optimizing" stats is particulary compelling gameplay, in fact I think it's a horrible chore that adds nothing fun to the game and is the source of endless conflicts between players.

If Blizzard were to remove all gems with secondary stats, and make the gem system purely a simple augment then I'd be happy with it, even though many people would rage about "dumbing down the game". My personal opinion is that Gems and Reforging are too versatile; the fact that you can do anything with them only leads to you pushing your "primary stat". Enchanting is fine because you don't have much choice between enchants - you take whatever fits and thus Enchanting can't really be subjected to the optimization chore.

I would much prefer a different gem system; where primary stat gems are rare finds and are used as a simple one-time augment for a few pieces of gear.