Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would, most of my gold income comes from enchanting.

Deleted
    Why would anyone miss it? It's nothing but a chore and a bit of theorycrafting.
    On the other hand, it kinda looks good if there's more green text on your gear due to socket bonuses. And I guess if you removed it you'd take away a fair bit of roleplaying too. I like the idea to enhance my gear further with precious gems and magical enchants. I'm not sure, but thinkings about the damage it would do to the economy and the fact that I make a lot of money due to Jewelcrafting and Enchanting for now I'd like it to stay.

I would not, and while we're at it delete Hit/Expertise and Reforging. Being able to just equip a new upgrade the moment it is acquired would be awesome.

Massive costs...? Seriously...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    From GC's twitter feed someone made this comment:

to which GC replied:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ignoring the damage it might do to professions, would you miss gemming and enchanting?
    The important bit is the thought experiment of what that might do to professions? I'll admit that gearing choices can be a bit overwhelming these days unless you're simply working off of a BIS list.

For me personally, this is the most interesting thing to pop out of GC's head in a while assuming that it's something that is in the back of his mind.

So, what do you think?

I laughed soooooooooooo hard.

How fark is there too much choices/decisions to make ?

Wow talents, gear, spec has become so damn boring, dull,mindless. what choices ?....... primary stats, secondary, little juggle if at all for hit/exp so forth, yeh real hard.

yep Id miss it, I make 1 million gold per quarter from jc/chants.
    A woman should never invest in a relationship she wouldn't want her daughter in, nor allow any man to treat her in a way her son would get scoled for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Perryn View Post
    in order to min/max for the correct stat weights?

if all personal touches are to be removed
    Correct? Personal? Which is it?

Simply removing both systems with no replacement would not be a solution, but in their current iteration it is very much "do what the internet tells you" and very little about personal or customisation. I really would put aside the profession part of it for this discussion - professions can easily be adjusted to give stuff for the new replacement mechanic or improved version of gemming/enchanting. It's a separate thing to be solved after.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    If by customization you mean, doing what is optimal otherwise you're doing it wrong, then yeah I agree they do offer quite a bit of customization.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSavior View Post
    I would not, and while we're at it delete Hit/Expertise and Reforging. Being able to just equip a new upgrade the moment it is acquired would be awesome.
    I did not read all 11 pages of replies but things like this....and the ones calling for removing hit/expertise, I do not understand.

There will always be an "optimal" way of doing anything, unless they take out stats altogether and completely hide the math behind the scenes. Is that what you all want? A piece of gear drops that says "Warrior - Protection". I bet soon after there would be posts calling to get rid of the "protection" part ("It's so lame, why should I need different gear for dps and tanking, I mean when I put a shield on I should be able to block!!!")

The game is easy enough!
    Last edited by Kazi; 2013-02-04 at 12:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    imho, i would leave only weapon enchants with some interesting effects, not just "X agi chance on proc", and metagems with "+%something +%some other effect".. Other enchants and gems are just pure maths and number boost than a choice. If they want to follow the trend of the talent system, then give us something that can be swapped around with more meaning.

I would be more interested in getting 2 helms to slot with 2 different metagems to swap around for different fights, or slot/unslot gems (like in diablo, with a cost) to allow changing metagems. Then i would choose depending on the fight whether i want "more stamina and chance to dodge increased" or "more agility and more haste %" (for example) or they could think even more interesting things.

edit: about trading profits
    To make professions still valueable, enchanting will have to be provided with more weapon enchants with different effects, maybe even 1h+shield enchants combo for tanks or 1h+offhand for healers.

JC can still provide metagems and allow them to make more interesting rings and necks (with design dropping from raids for example)
    Last edited by Krob; 2013-02-04 at 01:01 PM.

Deleted
    I wouldnt mind never seeing Meta gems again, while I have enough Gold for Enchants and those gems, still retarded expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I would miss it. I like gemming and enchanting to get that last bit of stats, or to adjust your secondaries. Depending on haste levels, for me, gems change. Plus they change as my hit/exp caps are reached so I swap out gems to make my gear more efficient.

What I'd like to see is more variety of enchants that allow you to pick the right one for your spec instead of getting something mostly worthless but used so you're not "missing an enchant".
    I whole-heartedly agree with this opinion. Enchanting and gemming offer the joy of a slight tweak to secondary attributes. It's not much but it's not nothing as well. And it could be worked upon to become more involving. Offer more initiative and choice. Things that are somewhat not as interesting or important don't need to get scrapped. They can instead get improved.

Which also goes for the blasphemers (just jokking, don't get offended!) that want racials to be removed! I want more of them, and more powerful. Abilities that are important, not just passive buffs or weak cds. Some may be a bit overpowered or underpowered but then the game has always been like that and we still play. And it will become more fun that way, and to me fun>>>>balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd miss them both. I like the fact that i can use it to customize my character to whatever I need, also makes it easier to hit certain caps.

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Most professions seem to make some crappy first-tier gear and one permanent consumable... except JC and enchanting. I could easily see JC dropping to just metas and enchanting to just weapon enchants(hopefully with more diverse and customizable weapon enchants each expansion). BS would then make an enchant instead of a socket. Simple, not much different from now, removes most gearing headaches, and would make profession money-making closer to equal with the exception of inscription.

Too many choices? As if everyone doesn't just follow a guide on what to gem/enchant and websites or addons for reforging. The way it is now you could either argue there isn't much choice so it isn't too complicated to get rid of, or since everyone just does the same why even have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Removing gems/enchants would be just another step in streamlining the game after reforging and making mandatory/spec defining talents baseline.
    Honestly, with the direction the game is moving in, this would only make sense.

Yes, it removes a part of the costimization i got.

Deleted
    I would, a lot.

Gemming and enchanting gear usually requires interaction with other players. Removing it would even further push game towards a single player game with random strangers running around.

It is also a major factor when inviting other players in group. If you see someone without gems/enchants, he doesn't care about his gear and most likely will perform poorly even if his gear is awesome. If someone has bad gear, but it is fully enchanted/gemmed it means he's trying, so he'll probably try to do his best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    Yes, I like having combination gems, socket bonuses, adding a shiny gem on my character sheet is more fun than reforging.

I would not miss reforging tho.

I hate GC with all my heart, anything I like he removes and anything I do not like he brings it in and keeps it.
    I agree with you on every word you wrote!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I would, a lot.

Gemming and enchanting gear usually requires interaction with other players. Removing it would even further push game towards a single player game with random strangers running around.
    I guess I continue to be a special snowflake. There isn't much personal intereaction with people when I click "Buy" on the AH window or a guildmate enchants an item. Of course, I have all professions, so I rarely need either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    We're not talking about "I'm hit capped, so won't reforge more hit rating." We're talking "I have 2235 expertise, but only need 2210 because I have a racial. How can I reforge my gear to lower my expertise rating by exactly 25 points?"

The two are vastly different; the latter is what is made easier by using a program to assist you.
    Generally you cant get exactly what you want...

Also this game is not so strict. You can reforge very halfassely and still beat the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I guess I continue to be a special snowflake. There isn't much personal intereaction with people when I click "Buy" on the AH window or a guildmate enchants an item. Of course, I have all professions, so I rarely need either.
    Exactly my thoughts. Sometimes I would buy enchant off AH even though I have enchanter alt with all the mats required because it's simply faster.
    Having to go /2 LF enchanter to cut xy gem, got mats, will tip and then waiting for someone to reply and then grouping with them and travelling to them, no thanks...