Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Strange, because I stand and sing whenever the Canadian anthem plays at any sporting event, out of respect/love for Canadians.
    I don't know all the national anthems of the world. To me it'd be cheap to sing one foreign country's anthem over another because I know Les Marseilles more than Oh Canada, for example.

It's just standard etiquette for any anthem that isn't my own.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

All you need to do is stand and be silent out of respect for everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I don't know all the national anthems of the world. To me it'd be cheap to sing one foreign country's anthem over another because I know Les Marseilles more than Oh Canada, for example.

It's just standard etiquette for any anthem that isn't my own.
    Well I only stand for the British and French anthems. I sing sometimes for the Canadian one because its the only other country that feels like home. Australia comes close having been there 2 times.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I live in America, and they play their national anthem to start any event where three+ people are present. Out of respect I usually stand, with my arms behind my back. It's an acknowledgement of respect but it isn't my anthem, so I won't sing it.
    You could leave. I mean we don't want you here since you are just using the country for our schools most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    You could leave. I mean we don't want you here since you are just using the country for our schools most likely.
    Wait, what? he's still showing respect, but as a forigner i dont expect him to do much more than that. Expecting a non American to do exactly what an american does is stupud, and panders to the "'Mercia" sterotype that we've been getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are planning on becoming a citizen, learn it and sing it. If you are not planning on becoming a citizen, stand if those singing it stand, but I would not sing it or do anything else to acknowledge it (just as you did not).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    Don't make assumptions, our schools are much cheaper and much more respected worldwide. Why go to school in the USA when Europe is so much closer?

15+ Year Old Account
    I would not mind singing a national anthem that I am not a citizen to, I know some of the Canadian anthem. Would someone be seriously mad if I sang their national anthem if I was not a citizen to the country?Lol.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Pledging and singing to a flag while knowing more about American Idol than American history means ZERO. Flags and goofy songs are inanimate and only breed group think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    ***The reason I wrote "(Not USA)" is because I know how Americans are like that (not an insult), but if I googled this matter EVERYTHING that came up was about how George Bush says it should be a necessity to become an American citizen.***

No, i've moved to Denmark, from the UK, and you might know that since i've made a few threads about the language already seeking help, however I have just one question.

Do I have an obligation through law (or more likely, etiquette), to learn the National Anthem? Also, i was in the position at a party where everyone around me was singing it, and I stood in silence. Now, assuming I knew the words, should I still sing it? Is it deemed impolite? I'd rather not because if someone sang the Scottish National Anthem and had no relevance to Scotland; I wouldn't be offended but thinking it a bit strange. So, what should I do? Learn it, and sing it when it comes? Or stand in silence, and maybe bow my head (which seems the most polite to do)?

If it helps, I moved to live with my girlfriend, i'm not a refugee or asylum seeker.
    2 things;

1; Congratulations on picking the superior nordic country!

2; As a native dane I don't participate in the singing of the national anthem. I still stand up, place my hand on my heart and bow my heart (even this I only do because otherwise my parents would yell at me), but I don't sing.

Deleted
    I think it's extremely important to learn it if you're living there. Like you said, etiquette.

There's are few things I hate more than immigrants that don't make any effort to integrate into the society they've moved to (Not saying I hate you, I am just fed up of people coming here for example and making no effort at all to understand the country that's hosting them). The anthem and an abridged understanding of history etc is just common etiquette, as in the language if you plan on staying there.

Quote Originally Posted by MustafaRasta View Post
    Pledging and singing to a flag while knowing more about American Idol than American history means ZERO. Flags and goofy songs are inanimate and only breed group think.
    I've always found that pledge a bit creepy...

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    And trying to get pissed on dishwater Miller Light...
    You're more likely to get drunk on lemonade. Or tap water.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I've always found that pledge a bit creepy...
    The yanks do flag worship a bit, I saw a group of US Marines get chewed up something fierce by a senior NCO just for putting the stars and stripes on the floor. To me a flag is just a rag on a pole, fit only for looking pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The yanks do flag worship a bit, I saw a group of US Marines get chewed up something fierce by a senior NCO just for putting the stars and stripes on the floor. To me a flag is just a rag on a pole, fit only for looking pretty.
    Indeed - and ours is much prettier than yours...

Deleted
    It's just the reverse colours of ours

Or well... England =/= Great Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    It's just the reverse colours of ours

Or well... England =/= Great Britain.
    Actually you have it the other way around.
    The Flag of Denmark (Danish: Dannebrog Danish pronunciation: [ˈdanəˌbʁoˀ]) is red with a white Scandinavian cross that extends to the edges of the flag; the vertical part of the cross is shifted to the hoist side. On the Danish flag, the cross design, which represents Christianity,[1][2][3] was subsequently adopted by the other Nordic countries; Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Åland Islands and the Faroe Islands, as well as the Scottish archipelagos of Shetland and Orkney. During the Danish-Norwegian personal union, Dannebrog ("Danish cloth") was also the flag of Norway and continued to be, with slight modifications, until Norway adopted its current flag in 1821.
    Dannebrog is the oldest state flag in the world still in use by an independent nation.[4]

Deleted
    Yours is much too plain and boring.

I stand up for nothing and I most certainly don't sing worshipping anthems to anything or anybody. I can't even imagine that someone could get offended over that. And if so, I guess they have far greater issues than me not giving a damn about some stupid national anthem anyway. Some people should remember we're living in the 21. century, not the 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    ***The reason I wrote "(Not USA)" is because I know how Americans are like that (not an insult), but if I googled this matter EVERYTHING that came up was about how George Bush says it should be a necessity to become an American citizen.***

No, i've moved to Denmark, from the UK, and you might know that since i've made a few threads about the language already seeking help, however I have just one question.

Do I have an obligation through law (or more likely, etiquette), to learn the National Anthem? Also, i was in the position at a party where everyone around me was singing it, and I stood in silence. Now, assuming I knew the words, should I still sing it? Is it deemed impolite? I'd rather not because if someone sang the Scottish National Anthem and had no relevance to Scotland; I wouldn't be offended but thinking it a bit strange. So, what should I do? Learn it, and sing it when it comes? Or stand in silence, and maybe bow my head (which seems the most polite to do)?

If it helps, I moved to live with my girlfriend, i'm not a refugee or asylum seeker.
    Ive been living in denmark for soon 13 years, I dont even know the first line in the national anthem, I never sing along I just "pretend" c: been working out for many years.