Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Unless you feel like a Dane in your heart, you should feel no obligation to sing it.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Cathias View Post
    Ive been living in denmark for soon 13 years, I dont even know the first line in the national anthem, I never sing along I just "pretend" c: been working out for many years.
    I know the first line. It gets tricky in the second!

Nawh, i dont think so... i mean, im from norway, always lived here, and i only know the two first verses of our anthem. i prefer the other songs over it :b (Norge i rødt hvitt og blått > Ja vi elsker)
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yours is much too plain and boring.
    Pff, i discovered my country's queen is number 327 in line for the british throne. Maybe we got some spring cleaning to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Pff, i discovered my country's queen is number 327 in line for the british throne. Maybe we got some spring cleaning to do.
    She cannot be a worse candidate than Charles.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2013-02-04 at 12:26 PM.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can only talk about Norway, but seeing that the Scandinavian countries is rather similar, I'll say it anyway. Everyone aren't expected to know or even sing the national anthem. And the national anthem (and general national holidays and such) are of rather high importance here in Norway. Mostly due to getting more and more independent of the Danes and Swedes. But no, you're not expected to sing. What you are expected to do is pay "tribute" to the song and its meaning by not talking or in other way be of disturbance during the anthem (much like any other country). That's pretty much it.

I refuse to sing, something I've done my entire life. If something is expected to be sang, then I would rather just stand there and keep my mouth shut. Something that does matter though, is where you are. Some parts of society might be generally offended if you do not sing along, but this is a tiny tiny part of the general population, and mostly concerns the older generation and the nationalist parties. In either case, I would recommend just not singing if you do not feel like it.

Deleted
    I bet very few Brits know all 3 verses to our national anthem, it is rare indeed to sing it past the first one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    ***The reason I wrote "(Not USA)" is because I know how Americans are like that (not an insult), but if I googled this matter EVERYTHING that came up was about how George Bush says it should be a necessity to become an American citizen.***

No, i've moved to Denmark, from the UK, and you might know that since i've made a few threads about the language already seeking help, however I have just one question.

Do I have an obligation through law (or more likely, etiquette), to learn the National Anthem? Also, i was in the position at a party where everyone around me was singing it, and I stood in silence. Now, assuming I knew the words, should I still sing it? Is it deemed impolite? I'd rather not because if someone sang the Scottish National Anthem and had no relevance to Scotland; I wouldn't be offended but thinking it a bit strange. So, what should I do? Learn it, and sing it when it comes? Or stand in silence, and maybe bow my head (which seems the most polite to do)?

If it helps, I moved to live with my girlfriend, i'm not a refugee or asylum seeker.
    Someone probably mentioned it by now, but NO we do not. Also what party would that be - the only type I would be able to think of would be some kind of sport event like the WC Handball match lately. But as said just learn the lyrics at your own pace, as I´m pretty certain most of us here don´t know them for real either.

On a sidenote - won´t matter a whole lot wether you are imigrant, refugee or w/e with the dumb ass imigration laws we got here. But you will see that soon enough.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

I bet very few Brits know all 3 verses to our national anthem, it is rare indeed to sing it past the first one.
    And even fewer are aware that there are around a dozen different verses that have been included in the official version of God Save the [King/Queen] at one point

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    And even fewer are aware that there are around a dozen different verses that have been included in the official version of God Save the [King/Queen] at one point
    I still say Rule Brittania should be the national anthem.

I still say Rule Brittania should be the national anthem.
    or Land of Hope and Glory.

So long as it is longer than 20 seconds for presentation ceremonies.

Although, if the Scots go independent, we could re-introduce the verse about crushing the unruly Scots back into the current official version of God Save The Queen
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-02-04 at 01:09 PM.

Deleted
    Why should you ? If you're no Dane in heart, there is no need to sing it, do what you want.

I never sing our national anthem, even though I know it. Never had the feel I have to sing right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    or Land of Hope and Glory.
    No, it references God too much, I would prefer to keep religion out of anthems as much as possible.

No, it references God too much, I would prefer to keep religion out of anthems as much as possible.
    Then I guess Jerusalem is COMPLETELY out of the question

Rule Britannia has the advantage of a loud chorus that anybody can sing along to.

Forced national anthems are dumb. The words lose all meaning if your forced to sing them.

In 15 years I lived in about 12 countries for this or that amount of time. I could never be arsed to learn any athems, also I NEVER EVER felt any presure to do so. At least not in Europe. You are supposed to give courtesy to your host. So if they are singing then shut up and be polite about it, but thats all.

Funny fact tho.

Spanish anthem has no lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    ***The reason I wrote "(Not USA)" is because I know how Americans are like that (not an insult), but if I googled this matter EVERYTHING that came up was about how George Bush says it should be a necessity to become an American citizen.***

No, i've moved to Denmark, from the UK, and you might know that since i've made a few threads about the language already seeking help, however I have just one question.

Do I have an obligation through law (or more likely, etiquette), to learn the National Anthem? Also, i was in the position at a party where everyone around me was singing it, and I stood in silence. Now, assuming I knew the words, should I still sing it? Is it deemed impolite? I'd rather not because if someone sang the Scottish National Anthem and had no relevance to Scotland; I wouldn't be offended but thinking it a bit strange. So, what should I do? Learn it, and sing it when it comes? Or stand in silence, and maybe bow my head (which seems the most polite to do)?

If it helps, I moved to live with my girlfriend, i'm not a refugee or asylum seeker.
    So, are you a trying to become a naturalized citizen of Denmark? If you are then you may need to know it. (Assuming their system is similar to the US.) However if you are just there temporarily then of course not. It's one thing to respect it either way. Stand for it as everyone else as you are on their land. If you are trying to become a citizen then you should (patriotism seems weird in northern europe?)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like our anthem but I can't decide what we should replace it with
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    you don't need to sing it. You don't have to learn it either, many danes don't know it either and nobody cares about that, if you can't sing it, you just stand and wait

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in the US, and i'm not a very patriotic person. But I do always sing the anthem. Partly due to respect as I am native to the nation, but mostly because it is a beautiful song with a great story tied to it. And musically it is brilliant. I absolutely love singing, and our national anthem is fun for me to sing.