Thread: What is Love?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Exclamation What is Love?

What is love really? I know that it is an attraction between two or more individuals, but how exactly is love different from lust? What does it mean to love or be loved? What is the core universal reason love develops? What is a solid definition of love? Why does no one ever question exactly what it is?

Why is this phenomenon not studied more? Look at how much we don't know about it.

baby don't hurt me

Asus Prime x299 | Intel i7-7800x | Corsair H110i cpu watercooler | MSI Sea Hawk gtx 1080 | 16gb DDR4 3000hz GSkill RGB | Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair AX760 | Corsair Crystal series 570x case | Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Acer 23 inch monitor 1920x1080 + LG 23inch 1920x1080 + Asus 144hz 1920x1080|

Baby don't hurt me.

Edit: Dayyyuum, too late

10+ Year Old Account
    Baby don't hurt me...

It's different than lust because with love, you will generally do anything for your partner. Lust is purely sexual.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

10+ Year Old Account
    Three people beat me to it.. /cry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by windfish View Post
    baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me... no more.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

15+ Year Old Account

I think love is a mental dependence.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I came to this thread looking for "baby don't hurt me". I was not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by jk5834 View Post
    I came to this thread looking for "baby don't hurt me". I was not disappointed.
    Not sure if serious....

By virtue of the thread title, I don't think a meaningful conversation can happen at all, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    What is love really? I know that it is an attraction between two or more individuals, but how exactly is love different from lust? What does it mean to love or be loved? What is the core universal reason love develops? What is a solid definition of love? Why does no one ever question exactly what it is?
    Lust means you want to fuck someone.
    To have strong affection for someone.
    Humans are social and like or dislike each other.
    To have strong affection for someone.
    It's questioned constantly in every form of media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking someone to define love is like asking someone to define sweetness. It's an abstract, unimaginable concept until you've experienced it, it's not something that can quite be put into words. In addition, it's subjective to each individual. My wordless, emotional understanding of love may differ from yours and others.

As for what separates lust from love, speaking in very loose terms, I'd say that lust is the desire for physical intimacy, whereas love is the desire for emotional intimacy (but love is often followed by lust, or a more love-like version of it)

Also, the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when you've just gotten together with someone should not be mistaken for love. That's infatuation. True love takes time to grow, quite a long time.

My $.02
    Last edited by Dassen; 2013-02-03 at 09:51 PM.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I think love is a crush that lasts more than 3 months. I could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    A chemical reaction.

*sigh* I knew it. Instead of serious deep discussion about this subject I get a old worn out song and catch phrase.
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2013-02-03 at 09:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love is a battlefield...

OT: The best way i cna put it is lust is purely selfish, heat of the moment type of deal. Love is both selfish and selfless, much longer term, and isnt based just on the physical.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Citrustree View Post
    Not sure if serious....
    Not serious, though I knew I would find it here ad nauseam.

You have the entire internet to research these intensely interesting questions and you come to MMO-Champ?
    Let Reason Prevail

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    *sigh* I knew it. Instead of serious deep discussion about this subject I get a old word out song and catch phrase.
    I'm willing to participate in a deep, serious discussion about this subject. Check out my above post.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Citrustree View Post
    Not sure if serious....
    Oh for sure. I totally came for the song, pumping that shit right now.
    I honestly have no idea what the op posted.

don't hurt me, no more.