Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Very much. But they look damned cool!
    I cant remember who told me but some say that those helmets may have been used for ritual purposes. I mean - they have helmets and drank mead from horns. Who is to say they didnt just attach them to the helmets after a particularly drunken night.
    my theory: the horns are the reason beer mugs have handles. the vikings invented the beer hat!
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

    Same as the old derp.

  2. #22
    Warchief Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Im pretty sure its very hard to legally own handguns.

    I know my Uncle's brother oughta have hunting rifles because i remember him talking about having lost a lot of hearing due to hunting.
    So would the governments allow for the ownership of say .22 rifles for target shooting purposes? Just curious, since I do enjoy some target shooting. (A .22 is the only rifle I personally own, my dad has quite a bit more, and his can be more fun to shoot in some cases)
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

  3. #23
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    So would the governments allow for the ownership of say .22 rifles for target shooting purposes? Just curious, since I do enjoy some target shooting. (A .22 is the only rifle I personally own, my dad has quite a bit more, and his can be more fun to shoot in some cases)
    You assume i know what the hell calibers are...

  4. #24
    Mechagnome lzsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Or rather, when it's used smartly, instead of stupidly. (Like some countries do, or many do)

    Also, tbh I feel a lot more comfortable with the way Scandinavian countries are run, as compared to how the United States is ran, maybe I'm just a traitor or something.....

    Question, are guns completely banned in the Scandinavian countries, or are they just heavily controlled?
    I can only speak for Sweden here, but to my understanding (not a gun person myself) it's not terribly difficult to get a gun for hunting here, but you obviously need a number of licenses and a proper safe to store your gun(s) in. They can't be loaded when you're not using them and carrying a gun in public is illegal (except for police officers). They're not really used for self defence here, and I'm fairly sure hunting rifles comprise the vast majority of guns in Sweden.

    It should be noted that I'm not exactly an authority on this, so I may be wrong on any of those points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    So would the governments allow for the ownership of say .22 rifles for target shooting purposes? Just curious, since I do enjoy some target shooting. (A .22 is the only rifle I personally own, my dad has quite a bit more, and his can be more fun to shoot in some cases)
    In Sweden, probably. I went to some kind of hunting fair with my uncle once, and there was quite a bit of target shooting going on there. It's not a very common activity, though.
    Last edited by lzsg; 2013-02-03 at 11:30 PM.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

  5. #25
    In Finland acquiring firearms, including handguns, isn't hard. Most owners however know to handle them because most of us are reservists.

  6. #26
    Brewmaster DieFichte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Confederaziun svizra
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/

    Don't let me get in the way of any circlejerking though.
    Wait what, I mean I'm okay with those stats, but Switzerland has such a low civic engagement score, teh fuck, i think I read that shit wrong

    (Oh I guess I see where the problems come from, 50% average voter turnout, yeah happens when you get to vote 4-6 times a year <.< outside of election year)

    Well, still the a flower anyway, without being vikings!
    Last edited by DieFichte; 2013-02-03 at 11:36 PM.

  7. #27
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    You assume i know what the hell calibers are...
    He means little bullets, not big ones like the Military use.

  8. #28
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    I can only speak for Sweden here, but to my understanding (not a gun person myself) it's not terribly difficult to get a gun for hunting here, but you obviously need a number of licenses and a proper safe to store your gun(s) in. They can't be loaded when you're not using them and carrying a gun in public is illegal (except for police officers). They're not really used for self defence here, and I'm fairly sure hunting rifles comprise the vast majority of guns in Sweden.

    It should be noted that I'm not exactly an authority on this, so I may be wrong on any of those points.



    In Sweden, probably. I went to some kind of hunting fair with my uncle once, and there was quite a bit of target shooting going on there. It's not a very common activity, though.
    http://satwcomic.com/wild-ghost

    Satw illustrates perfectly how little Danes are used to hunting and guns.

  9. #29
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Well you can't argue that the way the US is currently going hasn't been a complete disaster. And his country/neighbouring countries have consistently topped pretty much every happiness scale ever made.
    Not really, considering Latin American countries always rank at the top of those. That is, even if you can quantify such a thing
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 400BC.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    He means little bullets, not big ones like the Military use.
    iirc, isnt the .22 the smallest common caliber, and usually lightweight?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

    Same as the old derp.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I think of us Sweds as rather passive-aggressive. We have a lot of strong opinions but we don't really voice them.
    No offense but every one of the Scandinavian nations seems to have mastered the art of the Humblebrag.

    You have an entire industry based around consulting foreign governments on "How to be awesome like us" (My words, not theirs)... and your government publishes their statistics and reports in English.

    It's like that dude who doesn't want to talk about how much money he earns but will totally talk about all the exotic locations he's visited and how much he hates being forced to drive the Ferrari around town because of its shitty gas mileage.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No offense but every one of the Scandinavian nations seems to have mastered the art of the Humblebrag.
    Pretty spot on.

    The faults, however, are seldom voiced. Left leaning Americans are usually shocked to find out that Scandinavians are pretty damn racist compared to the US for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laize
    and your government publishes their statistics and reports in English.
    Why wouldn't we? Many people globally trade with our countries, and most of them do not understand our native languages. There's no reason not to do the translating work for them. Just like pretty much every European nation does, and many "exotic" nations.
    Last edited by Diurdi; 2013-02-03 at 11:37 PM.

  13. #33
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,934
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    iirc, isnt the .22 the smallest common caliber, and usually lightweight?
    Pretty much, it is the most common round in the world and light enough for children to use with no issues. Still deadly, but you will not be sniping headshots at 800m with it.

  14. #34
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    He means little bullets, not big ones like the Military use.
    Found a site selling hunting rifles.
    http://www.thegunroom.dk/category/jagtrifler-83.html
    I looked it up. Hunting rifles only require a hunting permit which lasts a year. Other kinds of guns require a weapons permit which must be renewed every 10 years. So if it runs out you have to get rid of the weapons - theoretically. Dont know if that is actually done.

  15. #35
    Warchief Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    2,193
    Ok, thanks for the info, was just wondering in case I ever moved to one of the countries. (I go back and forth on wanting to leave the U.S., just depends on my mood/recent events, still a minor though, which means I'm still living with parents so I haven't really been truly exposed to how things work in the U.S., just read about them).

    @Cattaclysmic http://www.gunforums.net/forums/new-...nted-know.html (googled it real quick, seems to explain them ok) And here's a picture: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/...10caaa68_o.jpg


    Sorry to derail the thread a little.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

  16. #36
    Mechagnome lzsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    http://satwcomic.com/wild-ghost

    Satw illustrates perfectly how little Danes are used to hunting and guns.
    Haha, yeah. Do you really have anything you could hunt if you wanted to, though?
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

  17. #37
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No offense but every one of the Scandinavian nations seems to have mastered the art of the Humblebrag.

    You have an entire industry based around consulting foreign governments on "How to be awesome like us" (My words, not theirs)... and your government publishes their statistics and reports in English.

    It's like that dude who doesn't want to talk about how much money he earns but will totally talk about all the exotic locations he's visited and how much he hates being forced to drive the Ferrari around town because of its shitty gas mileage.
    Ironically the Scandinavian countries dont adhere to the Jante law

  18. #38
    Bloodsail Admiral Amirila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In a tree, watching everything
    Posts
    1,003
    We shall unite to one country! Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland unite! (We will conquer Earth)

  19. #39
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    Haha, yeah. Do you really have anything you could hunt if you wanted to, though?
    I hear badgers are our largest predator.

    Lots of deer though.

  20. #40
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Found a site selling hunting rifles.
    http://www.thegunroom.dk/category/jagtrifler-83.html
    I looked it up. Hunting rifles only require a hunting permit which lasts a year. Other kinds of guns require a weapons permit which must be renewed every 10 years. So if it runs out you have to get rid of the weapons - theoretically. Dont know if that is actually done.
    Holy crap @ those prices, I thought gun prices in the UK were high.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •