Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Well, disregarding all the ominous posts about and those who are downright inane I now create a positive one!

This article from The Economist illustrates very well the difference of culture that is even very evident on this board every time a discussion of healthcare comes of for example. And with more and more countries political spectrums becoming increasingly ideologically radical a pragmatic government is much preferred in my opinion. Would you like your country with a model like the one in the North? Why and why not? (And "No, because X country isn't Y country" is neither constructive nor a coherent argument.)
    The state of California has 2x more population than Sweden, Denmark, and Norway combined. The state of California has approx 500 billion times more diversity than the 98% white European nations listed above also.

Things aren't nearly so simple when you aren't dealing with a tiny country of white people.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 06:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    They are very tiny countries who depend on huge export/import imbalances and in most cases niche industries. Norway in particular has hugely benefited from oil exports. I can't think of any relevant lessons for developing countries or larger first world countries, any more than a student council would offer insight into mass politics. Apart from factors such as smallness and cultural homogeneity and sheer dumb luck, I would attribute their success the culture of the Protestant work ethic (which they are quickly discarding) that developed in much of northern Europe. That's not really a lesson with much carryover.
    And basically this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alot of envy, "you are tiny countries".
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I totally thought this was about leggy blondes singing opera, instead Jackmoves has shown me the hilarious Big Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Corruption bars our way!
    But the will of an American is stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    They are very tiny countries who depend on huge export/import imbalances and in most cases niche industries. Norway in particular has hugely benefited from oil exports. I can't think of any relevant lessons for developing countries or larger first world countries, any more than a student council would offer insight into mass politics. Apart from factors such as smallness and cultural homogeneity and sheer dumb luck, I would attribute their success the culture of the Protestant work ethic (which they are quickly discarding) that developed in much of northern Europe. That's not really a lesson with much carryover.
    That's an excuse. We have nearly a quarter of the population density of Denmark, it's not like the majority of the US is unusable land, either.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2013-02-04 at 06:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I totally thought this was about leggy blondes singing opera, instead Jackmoves has shown me the hilarious Big Steve.
    Closest Jack ever got to leggy blondes is the pin-up calendar at the steel mill he work at
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Closest Jack ever got to leggy blondes is the pin-up calendar at the steel mill he work at
    Just waiting for a chance to meet you, don't forget to wear your stilettos!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Not a huge fan of my country, but neither would I like to live anywhere else. When I look at how other countries are doing I feel lucky to have been born here.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    The state of California has 2x more population than Sweden, Denmark, and Norway combined. The state of California has approx 500 billion times more diversity than the 98% white European nations listed above also.

Things aren't nearly so simple when you aren't dealing with a tiny country of white people..
    Say what? Sweden has not been a "tiny country of white people for a long time. Also, what does the ammount of people have to do with it? It is not like we are an inbreeded group of 500 people

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    While it becomes useful for internet discussions on MMO-C, I can think of no logical reason for countries to publish reports meant for internal use in a non-native language.

Not long ago I read a report from Sweden highlighting problems they faced in their national health care system. It was in English and I can think of no good reason for that... aside from humblebragging

Really? You see no need for other countries to attempt to learn from the mistakes of others, or perhaps highlight something that could become an issue (or even something working well) by looking at other, comparable countries?

It is really very very simple. Today, in 2013, no country stands alone, independant from all others, unaffected by all others, and not affecting any other country. The interconnectivity of nearly every facet of socity, government, commerce, political systems and so on and so forth is so extensive that the benefit to publish even seamingly trivial information in english far outweighs the fairly modest efforts.

Having said all that, certainly there's a fairly extensive degree of "humblebragging" in the scandinavian countries. We tend to like who and what we are and believe that others might be interested in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post

Things aren't nearly so simple when you aren't dealing with a tiny country of white people.
    Because the only diversity that exist is the skin colour...

If you had to be reborn anywhere in the world as a person with average talents and income, you would want to be a Viking.
    Actually i wouldn't. Same as if i could choose to be born pretty i also wouldn't. I'd rather overcome adversity and develop a personality than being handed stuff on a silver platter and never growing as person.

Not to bash, but i never liked the "Nordic model"

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Actually i wouldn't. Same as if i could choose to be born pretty i also wouldn't. I'd rather overcome adversity and develop a personality than being handed stuff on a silver platter and never growing as person.

Not to bash, but i never liked the "Nordic model"
    Obviously none of us Nordics have done a days work in our lives or have personalities

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Say what? Sweden has not been a "tiny country of white people for a long time. Also, what does the ammount of people have to do with it? It is not like we are an inbreeded group of 500 people
    We got a predominantly white population. 9% of our population is from outside the EU. Can't really compare that to CA where 40% are Non-Hispanic White.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    We got a predominantly white population. 9% of our population is from outside the EU. Can't really compare that to CA where 40% are Non-Hispanic White.
    That they are from outside the EU does not mean they are non-white nor do i think the skin colour matter but rather than the country of origin.

Deleted
    Nordic super model? Shouldn't that include the AAA countries like Germany and the Netherlands (and a few more), because they are also still doing good?

The Nordics cluster at the top of league tables of everything from economic competitiveness to social health to happiness
    Yeah, so what about the countries I listed? They are right up there with the 'Nordic cluster'.

That they are from outside the EU does not mean they are non-white nor do i think the skin colour matter but rather than the country of origin.
    Well yeah, but it's the easist way to get some sort of hum about other ethnicities... if thats of any interest for people. The biggest groups of immigrants are swedes(moving back home), polacks and iraqis according to statistics.
    http://www.scb.se/Pages/PressRelease____329027.aspx

Obviously none of us Nordics have done a days work in our lives or have personalities
    I have met plenty of Nordics that life of welfare. Young people especially. You wouldn't find that here that often.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-04 at 12:05 PM.

Deleted
    I have met plenty of Nordics that life of welfare. Young people especially. You wouldn't find that here.
    Where do you live?

I have met plenty of Nordics that life of welfare. Young people especially. You wouldn't find that here.
    Depends on how you see it. I could be considered on welfare because i receive a student grant from the government while i study which I live on.

I have met plenty of Nordics that life of welfare. Young people especially. You wouldn't find that here that often.
    Plenty of selective bias & anecdotal evidence here.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance