Deleted

Scaling ilvl with older Raids

Some guildies and me are lvling up some alts to do a Herald of the titans run, and it got me thinking.

Since Blizzard has the technology now to scale down gear (challenge modes) to a certain ilvl.
    Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a choice to run the old raids this way?

Some people like soloing them, but others may never had the chance to run some of these the way they were ment to be played.

There could be some kind of new achievements, mount drops and even leaderboards for timed runs.

I understand Blizzard is mostly focused on the new content, and won't spend much time revamping the old stuff

But since it seems they have the technology, I don't see/know if this would be a lot of work

It could certainly bring back some good/horrible memories going at the LK again, or clearing Ulduar with the people you are playing with now.

I know there are guilds that twink, and do it like that. But i think this way ,a lot more people would actually fully enjoy all of the (older) content (on their mains).

I'd like to hear if more people like this idea

I agree. If they ever figure out downscaling toons and gear I would run the heroics from earlier expansions again. There are a lot of dungeons just rotting. I have toons I have left at old caps, sadly they took away the ability to run the old heroic queues anymore. You can still do them individually, I just like the lfd feature.

I could see this suddenly becoming possible as population dwindles. It would allow for nostalgia mode without making a ton of new assets.

As I told you on EU forums, this wouldn't work.
    Herald of titans has been made with only 3 players (Aelobin, Splosion and... dunno who was the third ), Splosion solo'd Marrowgar (T10) with Herald of titans gear (T8), etc.

The game is not balanced for lower levels. A simple downscaling wouldn't be enough to bring this content back. It would require a lot of work for the Blizzard team to tweak the numbers correctly. A lot of work means a lot of time they wouldn't spend working on a new patch with new raid content.
    If it was really simple to do, it would be fun to add this functionality, but right now it is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    As I told you on EU forums, this wouldn't work.
    Herald of titans has been made with only 3 players (Aelobin, Splosion and... dunno who was the third ), Splosion solo'd Marrowgar (T10) with Herald of titans gear (T8), etc.
    I guess they used MoP blues, mostly thanks to that.
    The game is not balanced for lower levels.
    You are very right about it. There was time, before Cata patch, when content was consistent - phrase "The game is not balanced for lower levels" was thrown a lot by GC at Cata release and this phrase was quite new at that time; in 4.0.1 low level system basically detonated (who played before and after that patch - he will understand what I am talking about). Since then, well... low level game balance was destroyed: it is easy to destroy something, but hard to repair.

On side note, why does OP think it would be really brilliant idea? For idea to have long-term success - those older dungeons should have tangible rewards. If those dungeons will have tangible rewards for running them "downscaled", it would lead to a lot of veterans just leaving game when their guild would ask itself a question "So where we go today, decide guys - Gruul, Magtheridon or Eye of Eternity". Simply because it was so much done back in time. Most people who ask about it - are those who didn't play when it was truly current content, but they still can go and experience it.

Yes, it could sound as boost, zerg at high levels - but content is there. It has it's specific place in time and progress. I will exaggerate, but as example: killing Hogger is only fun the first few times, if you like to experience Hogger at it's proper level - you are welcome to do it, he is still there, but don't make "new" content out of Hogger. A lot of people simply won't be interested in it, or will turn away in disgust if he wlil become content with relevant rewards, because they had their time with Hogger, it would be just stupid to go and do Hogger again...

Now insert some old dungeon/raid name instead of word "Hogger", and think - is that idea really good?
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-02-04 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    MoP blues are already like 200 ilv over HoT gear req. Has to be in the 226-232 range unless I am mistaken?
    Oh yeah, I missed "Herald" part. Well, that's quite insane disbalance...

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you have the option of scaling down or going in with higher ilvl gear then I really dont care.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    MoP blues are already like 200 ilv over HoT gear req. Has to be in the 226-232 range unless I am mistaken?

But even IF downscaling could be figured out - two words: 40 people
    Shouldn't be a problem with a LFR-like tool.

I think this would be a awesome idea, but i guess it's "too much work" and it's probably only a minority of the playerbase that would enjoy older raids if there is no loot upgrades in it.

I don't care much for new goodies from old content, but i desperately want old dungeons scaled up to 90 heroics. Such as all of Wrath and BC dungeons. Those felt so much better to me for some reason. Now it feels like such a chore to do more than 1 dungeon a day even if i get around to doing just that. With the announcement of the pvp scaling, I have my hopes up.

Deleted
    Dire maul ftw .......And whilst we are on the subject , please gief Kara as 90 raid , and dont skip any of the trash ;-)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengorn View Post
    Dire maul ftw .......And whilst we are on the subject , please gief Kara as 90 raid , and dont skip any of the trash ;-)
    If they ever go through with this, they'd better make it at least as difficult as it was back then.
    Although I'm not sure how difficult can the old "well, ate an unlucky crushing blows there from Malchezaar" translated into today's mechanics...

There planing on remaking old content. So I doubt that will happen, possible though. iL scaling will reintroduce old content making it none soloable. Old content have inbalances and outdated ideas.

What about think of somethings not found in wow instead? then wish for them to add it in game. There are too many things missing in the game and they have the technology to do so. They just dont have the right minds that work with them. We players know more and we are bigger in numbers. We can come up with better ideas without forgeting the technology they had.

There best developers either died or left the company and whats left are people who kept on remodel and recycle old contents. There expansions like MoP are from those old developers who doesnt work in it anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    If they ever go through with this, they'd better make it at least as difficult as it was back then.
    Although I'm not sure how difficult can the old "well, ate an unlucky crushing blows there from Malchezaar" translated into today's mechanics...
    How was Kara difficult? It was a piece of cake

What good about kara are the raid that doesnt include tank and spank. 100% Mechanic base fights. Thats whats missing in all the expansions.

Pretty sure Blizzard has talked about this type of thing many times before, and I don't believe they ever championed it as a good thing.

You'd get raids that were on par with LFR, and no one would even know what the bosses were doing, they'd just be face rolled down. What's the point of that?

Old heroics should return as retuned scenarios. The gear system is already there.

As for Kara... would be great to do it again, but it would be a big task.

Deleted
    Willempieee xD

how is your lvl 80 comming along? :P