Thread: MOBA noob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yes, LoL is a good game to start, i think its a better `place to start than DOta 2 because in Dota 2 you lose money when you die and since you are not aware of MOBA mechanics you will probably die a lot at first.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    And in Dota 2, you will be as strong as everyone else the second you make an account. You got all heroes (Champions), and there is no unlocks, talents or anything like that. Only think you can get for real cash is cosmetic stuff and announcers.
    And you will be stunlocked abnd bursted down in a second all game, with an environment that obscures champion and skill's graphics and make any new player (which doesnt last hit much, doesnt deny the enemy, doesnt have much map awareness and doesnt know how to combo his skills with his teammates) not being able to buy anything past the first items.

Seriously guys, Dota 2 may be a good game but is not a good game to learn the moba genre.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2013-02-04 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    This is a good thing? That all the champions are so similar that you don't need to think about them too much? Or maybe just because of the grinding it will take to unlock even a fraction of them?
    Or maybe the abilities are straight forward and easy to learn, in most cases. Last time I was playing Dota 2 this bot would walk up to be, I would be silenced, then 2 shot by spells I didn't even get a chance to see what they did or looked like. That's not fun. It's incredibly frustrating for a new player. It's why they nerfed old Eve. It took me two more games to realize the silence was actually an item, and that was only because it was a recommended item on the hero I had chosen to play.

Are many abilities in LoL similar? Yes, but I would rather have that with unique and memorable abilities than the mess that is Dota 2's abilities.

Well, no it doesn't. It works almost exactly the same as every RTS camera ever.
    I have no issues with cameras in other RTS games. In Dota 2 there are no useful camera options or they don't work. The sensitivity is also terrible, at least on my screen.

Whatever game you choose doesn't really mean shit, if you're just looking to play a MOBA/A-RTS game for the sake of playing a MOBA/A-RTS game.

I think what it all boils down to is, what game is approachable. And I think the unlock-features in LoL are stupid, when you can play Dota 2 and play all the heroes for free, IMO that's a solid sales pitch for me :P

Here's a community page for Dota 2: http://www.joindota.com/en/start

If you want to see some action, Na'Vi and Mousesports are playing 19:00 GMT. Judge then :P

Ignore people bashing games. LoL does not suck, and it has a great success. Dota 2 is not a bad game either, but is harsher.

Also, and this is entirely my opinion, i dont like Dota 2 graphics. Yes, they may have higher resolution, but have less vision of what is really happening in there (at least untill you are really experienced).

In games like LoL and Dota 1, you clearly see and identify any champion the moment they get into your vision range.

In HoN and Dota 2, the darker, smaller graphics make it so it takes a few seconds to indeitify what is happening.

IMO, LoL and Dota 1 graphics are much better for gampelay than the dark better resolution of HoN and Dota 2.

Deleted
    This just in: a bunch of DotA2 fanboyz invade LoL forum to spread their faith in DotA as a higher, better being. Seriously, guys, stop it? It's kinda pathetic.

DotA2 and LoL are 2 vastly different games, only sharing the most basic common features. They are of the same genre, but the similarities end there. Stop being fucknuts and accept that copying original DotA 1:1 is not the only way to go about the moba genre and LoL is a giant, worldwide success for a reason.

As for which one is better to start with - LoL is about 10x more newbie friendly. DotA is designed as if to deter anyone not already playing it for ages, and that's hardly a good selling point.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-02-04 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please do not turn this into a Dota v LoL thread. Dota is an excellent game and so is LoL, bashing games is not acceptable, and further game bashing will only result in the thread being closed/infractions.

OT: If your friend wants you to play LoL, I would say play LoL. I am of course biased towards LoL, but I think it is an easier game to learn. There is no doubt that Dota is the harder of the two, and in my opinion much more difficult to learn. LoL is free also, though you do have to unlock champions if you want to play them other than when they are free. Also you will have to buy runes when you get to 20-30 if you want to be competitive. (they don't cost money, just the in game currency you get for playing games).

I don't really think playing Dota would give you too much of an edge when you went up against your friend. The two games are MOBAs, but they are very different in a lot of ways. I'm just going to look at one though, which is going to be items. In Dota items give you stats and actives and what not, but your abilities do not scale off of the items. In LoL, the items give you stats and actives and what not, but your abilities do scale off of the stats. So while you might get a feel for the MOBA genre by playing Dota, I feel that if you are going to end up playing LoL with your friend, you should probably start with LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I would start out with Dota 2. Not because it is easier in any way, but simply because there are no stupid unlocks, and days of played time grinding to even be a little viable with runes/masteries and stuff. If you want a dota 2 key just PM me, got plenty
    Someone's bias is showing. You might want to pull your pants up.

Runes and Masteries will make little to no difference when leveling, since everyone will be in the same boat as you. It's not like you'll be matched against a lvl30 when you're lvl8. Anyway, there's a few bits of advice I can offer. DO NOT spend your IP(influence points) on any runes prior to lvl20. When you reach that level, you can access and purchase the "greater" runes that everyone at lvl30 uses and not waste IP on less effective runes. Play the free week champions, usually in a bot game first to get a feel for them, to see what champion you enjoy playing. Save up your IP to buy the ones you like. I'd personally recommend turning off [ALL] chat in the More Options menu so the community can't hassle you much. Be aware that the game's community is infamous for its general jackassery, and you should just ignore and report anyone you come across that can be defined as "toxic".

Other than that, just start off with matches against AI and enjoy the game. It's worth your time to practice "last hitting". It's where you wait to kill a minion ONLY when your attack will be the one that kills it. This is an incredibly valuable skill that you'll want in every game you play. Have fun.

Deleted
    First 20 or so games, LoL is easier.
    After that, you've had enough time to get used to both of them and it's a preference thing.
    Honest opinion: Playing low-ranked PvP games in DotA is way easier because there are way fewer smurfs. This may just be me talking out of my ass though. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    This just in: a bunch of DotA2 fanboyz invade LoL forum to spread their faith in DotA as a higher, better being. Seriously, guys, stop it? It's kinda pathetic.
    If anything, the fact that you'd shit on the DotA fanboys but not the LoL ones is even more pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Okuu View Post
    If anything, the fact that you'd shit on the DotA fanboys but not the LoL ones is even more pathetic.
    Except in this thread, your "cool" friend Alaitoc and some other dude literally came here and bashed the hell out of LoL, which made their fanboyism show a lot more than anyone who argued in LoL's case.
    (Okay, maybe Alaitoc not so much, but the other guy was pretty forward.)

Both are great games. LoL is easier to get in to and learn, and focuses more on expanding the MOBA-genre, while Dota 2 keeps it's old, hardcore style and focuses on bringing the classic, yet refreshing feel of old Dota.

Now shaddap and appreciate things.
    Last edited by NotValidAnymore; 2013-02-04 at 08:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Except in this thread, your "cool" friend Alaitoc and some other dude literally came here and bashed the hell out of LoL, which made their fanboyism show a lot more than anyone who argued in LoL's case.
    That was bashing? Whoah mate.

Deleted
    Is that so? In this thread I can see a few rabid DotA fans attacking LoL as if their life hung on it, many calm people who don't really attack either game and a few LoL fans who calmly defend their game against the first category. Where are those LoL fanboys you speak of? Maybe you are confusing what the term "fanboy" means?
    That was bashing? Whoah mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    LoL sucks, that's pretty much all you need to know. Don't judge the genre based on that game, that would be a huge injustice to Dota 2. Yeah LoL is easier, but anyone who starts out with LoL will want to transition into Dota 2 (if they take any pride in what they're doing), so I would start with Dota 2. It's free and it doesn't have any of the stupid unlock-features.
    Visually and all in all production quality is also 10 times better than that of LoL, if you're into all that jazz.
    Yes, this is bashing. Mindless, completely retarded fanboyizm. Alaitoc was not as stupidly straightforward, but still.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-02-04 at 08:14 PM.

Deleted
    Is that so? In this thread I can see a few of rabid DotA fans attacking LoL as if their life hung on it, many calm people who don't really attack either game and a few LoL fans who calmly defend their game against the first category. Where are those LoL fanboys you speak of? Maybe you are confusing what the term "fanboy" means?Yes, this is bashing. Mindless, completely retarded fanboyizm.
    I'm not sure I can unskew views this biased even if I had a year to do it.

Deleted
    I'm not sure I can unskew views this biased even if I had a year to do it.
    Look at the quote I posted and PLEASE say in clear words that what he said was not pure, mindless bashing. Next, please quote a lol fan bashing DotA in this thread. There are not even 2 full pages, I am sure you will be able to find something to support your words in less than a year.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-02-04 at 08:25 PM.

Deleted
    Sorry guys I'll make sure I keep my criticism and opinions to myself in future

I forgot I wasn't allowed to disagree with the Riot hivemind

Deleted
    Sorry guys I'll make sure I keep my criticism and opinions to myself in future

I forgot I wasn't allowed to disagree with the Riot hivemind
    Honestly, there are ways to express your opinion and criticise without being aggressive or implying insults. I know that's a lot to expect from an internet discussion, but we can strive for the best, right?

Deleted
    Look at the quote I posted and PLEASE say in clear words that what he said was not pure, mindless bashing. Next, please quote a lol fan bashing DotA in this thread. There are not even 2 full pages, I am sure you will be able to find something to support your words in less than a year.
    Nobody cares about what some shitposter says, I was talking about Alai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    League is much more forgiving than Dota 2 (and, imo, a little better designed). I've played LoL since release, I have issues just playing bots in Dota 2. The hero abilities are not as easy to figure out or straight forward, items are like a whole other game to learn, and denying is a pain in the ass.
    Bash. Not that I mind, but you told me to bring up an example.

Also, camera movement is actually good (Dota 2 camera sucks and nothing I have done in options has made it work for me).
    And again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    And you will be stunlocked abnd bursted down in a second all game, with an environment that obscures champion and skill's graphics and make any new player (which doesnt last hit much, doesnt deny the enemy, doesnt have much map awareness and doesnt know how to combo his skills with his teammates) not being able to buy anything past the first items.
    >Implying that every new player picks Meepo and gets to play against a Na'vi stack.
    etc etc

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm going out of line again.
    Last edited by Isrozzis; 2013-02-04 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    EDIT: Nevermind, I'm going out of line again.
    That's what the delete post button is for, silly.

Okay, let me just mention one of my only criticisms of Dota 2:

The god damn frame around the screen gets in the way so many times. It lets you have a good overview, but your field of view feels so small.

Other than that, I like Dota 2 a lot.

Deleted
    Nobody cares about what some shitposter says, I was talking about Alai.
    And I am talking about rabid DotA fanboys, I did not mention anyone by name in my first post in this thread. It is you who indirectly applied the term "fanboy" to him and if you qualify him under that category then it's on you.

Bash. Not that I mind, but you told me to bring up an example.
    And again.
    >Implying that every new player picks Meepo and gets to play against a Na'vi stack.
    etc etc
    ... None of your quotes are bashing. Each game is different, as far as I see Axethor is pointing out mechanics he dislikes in DotA and reasons why he believes it to be less newbie-friendly while Crashdummy after the part you quoted said "Dota 2 may be a good game but is not a good game to learn the moba genre.".

This is bashing and fanboyism:

Quote Originally Posted by Madspawn View Post
    Basically, LoL is just easymode of Dota.
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    LoL sucks, that's pretty much all you need to know. Don't judge the genre based on that game, that would be a huge injustice to Dota 2. Yeah LoL is easier, but anyone who starts out with LoL will want to transition into Dota 2 (if they take any pride in what they're doing), so I would start with Dota 2. It's free and it doesn't have any of the stupid unlock-features.
    Visually and all in all production quality is also 10 times better than that of LoL, if you're into all that jazz.

Additionally:
    Be warned. You need to be mentally prepared for Dota, because everything that can go wrong will go wrong and it will all be your fault.
    You have been warned.

This is not(just some random examples):

Quote Originally Posted by Volroth View Post
    the 2 big moba games are league, and dota2. personally i prefer dota 2 over league by quite a bit, but league is not a bad game in any way. its slight differences that set them apart, league would be a good game to start off with, but at the same time id sign up for the dota 2 beta, so you get in line for a key, does not take too long to get one. play them both and see what one you like most, you cant go wrong with either one.
    League is much more forgiving than Dota 2 (and, imo, a little better designed). I've played LoL since release, I have issues just playing bots in Dota 2. The hero abilities are not as easy to figure out or straight forward, items are like a whole other game to learn, and denying is a pain in the ass.

Almost everything in LoL is very clear. It doesn't take long to learn what different champions do, even with 109 champions. It has many champions for beginners than can work on the level of those that require more skill to play. There is no denying CS. Also, camera movement is actually good (Dota 2 camera sucks and nothing I have done in options has made it work for me).

So yes, LoL is a great start for someone who has never touched the MOBA genre. If you have any RTS experience it will help you pick up the game mechanics even faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    While I prefer DotA / DotA2 instead of LoL, it is way easier to get a grip on and DotA has a _fuckin_ huge learning curve, it is quite easy to get frustrated with the game, yet going to be an addict for the rest of your life.

You should throw a coin, coins always know whats right and wrong. :P

Do you understand the difference? Pointing out what you dislike about a game is not bashing.