Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Not a fan of AMD, question..

I have always gone with an Intel processor, I was looking around online and saw this computer for shit cheap, want to know if it is worth the $250 they are asking or if I should even bother. If it is a good deal why not buy it to have another computer around the house. (It will make #3, I build mine, ordered my fiance's computer parts the other day, thought it'd be good to have one for normal use and not gaming, and also for friend as I dont like mine messed with)

"VISION Technology - Black with AMD Phenom II 1090T Six-Core Processor Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit Get powerful 64-bit performance with 8GB DDR3 system memory 2TB (Terabytes) hard drive stores up to 452,000 songs or 362,000 photos SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe technology and Blu-ray Disc player AMD Radeon HD 6770 graphics card Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n Front-panel 15-in-1 memory card reader Built in TV Tuner: watch, pause, rewind, and record live TV HP Media Center remote control"

Source: http://www.frys.com/product/6547093?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

That's incredibly cheap, probably because they're dumping out old models. That processor is around three years old, but because AMD dropped the ball with Bulldozers it's pretty close on par in performance with their newer stuff. With proper graphics card and SSD it still would be totally usable even as #1 computer.

Few of those would work great as a small render farm or virtualization servers if that would be needed, as they have proper 6 core CPUs.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats the best your gonna get for that money if that what your looking for.

Something to compare on.

8350 vs 1090
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=697

That card is pretty weak for gaming purpose though :/

It do depends on what your planning to use it for, but for the price it's amazing.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nuex View Post
    I have friends that come over alot to play World of Warcraft and they have to lug around their desktop. Would this (as is) run WoW pretty smoothly on max settings?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vLEp0qf2jY

Although I think it's gonna have a hard time in Mist Of Pandaria.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-02-04 at 10:10 AM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Put a better graphics card in it and it will run pretty much anything on full settings @1080p, although you might need to get a better power supply to do that.

The HD 6770 will run WoW on low-medium settings.

I have friends that come over alot to play World of Warcraft and they have to lug around their desktop. Would this (as is) run WoW pretty smoothly on max settings?
    On max? No, neither could a PC for double the price. WoW is actually pretty demanding.
    Should be enough for some friends coming over to play a bit though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that computer good for its price? Yes, it's actually pretty fantastic. I recently did a 'how cheap can you get' thread, and pretty much the cheapest 'decent' gaming system came out to about $290 without an OS. With Win7, it's rather a steal.

However, that does not mean you should buy it. It will run wow on Medium, probably. I wouldn't expect any more than that.

Yeah, you'll be stuck on medium settings unless you invest the price of the computer again into a power supply and a replacement graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Yeah, you'll be stuck on medium settings unless you invest the price of the computer again into a power supply and a replacement graphics card.
    tbh that gpu will play wow at med seting with decent framerate...who knows about the PSU tho

who knows about the PSU tho
    The PSU will be a noname piece of shite that will catch fire the minute the hardware in the PC is changed. Hence the need to change it if the OP buys the computer and wants a new graphics card.

I was using a xfx 6770 hd GPU for the end of cata and start of mop, i upgraded to a gtx 660 ti like 3 weeks into mop but i can definantly say the GPu allowed me to play wow on max settings with a few toned down which i dont like anyway (shadows of course). Liquid and particle is all i need to be max'd, and it could that and more easily. Actually got quite decent frames in lfr too, 30+ but idk how big of an impact my cpu had, considering wow is mostly CPU dependant, (i5-3570k)

So what if I replaced the CPU with a i5-3570k?
    Will it blow up?
    That would mean buying a new motherboard and RAM. And possibly a new PSU too. By that point you might as well just buy something else, because if you're going to get a 3570K (220 dollars), an LGA 1155 motherboard (100-140 dollars), possibly new RAM (40 dollars) you've spent nearly double the price of the machine you linked in the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what if I replaced the CPU with a i5-3570k?
    Will it blow up?
    No, the 1090t uses more power.. I can't say for overclocking.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Summary:

The computer you linked in the OP will run WoW on medium settings at an acceptable framerate at 1080p.

If you want more, you can upgrade the graphics card for ~180-200 dollars to an HD 7850. This would mean spending an additional 50-60 dollars on a new power supply. It will then run WoW on high-ultra settings at an acceptable frame-rate at 1080p resolution.

If you want to replace the processor with an i5 3570K (220 dollars), you would also need a new motherboard (100-150 dollars), possibly new RAM (40 dollars). A 3570K and a 6770 will run WoW on medium-high settings at an acceptable frame-rate. If you want ultra settings, you'll still want a new graphics card (180-200 dollars) and the new PSU (50-60 dollars). By which point you might as well not spend the 250 on the PC in the OP, because the components would be waiting for the garbage collection.

Deleted
    Hopefully I can give you a decent opinion on that setup, as mine is almost identical.

These are my system specs:
    CPU: AMD Pehnom II 1090 T
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics: AMD HD 7770
    HDD: 500GB SATA II 7200RPM drive

I can play WoW on ultra settings just fine. My average FPS is around 45. In my 10 man raids it drops down to maybe 30ish, which is perfectly fine in my opinion.
    Also, the 1090T is very easy to overclock stably. I've had mine running at 4GHz for the last 2 1/2 years now, although mine is water cooled (only a mid-range all built in water cooler, mind you).
    If you have any other questions about it's performance, or any screenshots etc, don't hesitate to ask.

That's a great little computer. Would probably run most newer stuff pretty well. Where i live these are still considered as highend gaminng machines. It's great, and would run high to ultra 1080p on most games that have no intention to rape your system, that is without more than 2 to 4 samples of AA or ASF.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    mine is almost identical.
    Graphics: AMD HD 7770
    The 7770 is nearly twice as powerful as the 6670. Thats not 'almost identical'

I can play WoW on ultra settings just fine. My average FPS is around 45. In my 10 man raids it drops down to maybe 30ish, which is perfectly fine in my opinion.
    That's pretty unacceptable for most people. Id rather have lower settings than below 50fps.

Also, the 1090T is very easy to overclock stably. I've had mine running at 4GHz for the last 2 1/2 years now, although mine is water cooled
    Sort of not helpful either, since OC is not really an option out of the box likely due to power supply.

Basically you're saying "Mine is twice as powerful, with meh settings, so you should be totally okay!"