Thread: Tank DPS Help

Tank DPS Help

Hey guys,

I have just recently made the switch from playing my DK to a Warrior and as such I am a little bit of a warrior noob, but here's my question. I'm pretty undergeared atm but I feel that my dps as a tank is extremely low. In any given heroic, outside of gigantic AoE pulls I'm only doing about 20k dps. Can anyone give me some tips on increasing my dps as a tank?
    Thanks

Armory: Crescentia - Korgath US

Edit: I know I'm over hit cap and also under expertise and that would help, but I'm looking more for advice in tactics during combat and such.
    Last edited by Kaloren; 2013-02-04 at 03:50 PM.

Deleted
    Start by telling us your rotation. If you're in green/blues 20k can be expected. Also Vengeance plays a huge part in tank DPS.

I don't have a set rotation really, I am basically being reactive to how much damage I am taking based on the size of the pull or how the boss hits.

I generally charge or Heroic Leap into the mobs then multi-target I Thunderclap first then shockwave into shield slam revenge then shield block or barrier depending on physical vs magical incoming damage, single target I'll shield slam then revenge block or barrier then thunderclap into devastate. Then from there it's rinsing and repeating, using HS or Cleave when I have Ultimatum procs.

Edit: Im around 466 ilvl so no greens anymore, but mix of questing blues/heroics and MSV RF stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    With you item lvl 20k overall is perfectly fine.

Of course it depends on the instance too. For example in Scarlet Halls it is expected to make way more than in Shadopan Monsatery because of few but big pulls.

Also don't bother with shockwave unless survivability is an issue. If you only want raw dps I would suggest bladestorm (together with banner, reck and avatar nice numbers even with low gear).

Deleted
    Well your coming from Blood DK so no wonder you think warr damage is bad Blood DKs tend to have better damage at low vengeance.

Warrior Damage sucks without high vengeance. My AoE DPS ranges from 40k to 650k, which kinda shows how broken the whole Vengeance thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Blood DKs tend to have better damage at low vengeance.

Warrior Damage sucks without high vengeance.
    This.
    That should improved at 5.2, our base damage are increased and our scaling e bit decreased.
    Well, we may still deal less dps than a dk or a paladin in a raiding enviromnent, not sure about that. But we will be better than now at low vengeance, and that's a very good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are Warriors always lowest on the totem pole, exactly? If we aren't harder to kill, why do we do less DPS? :/
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I don't know what the theoretical numbers are, but I've tanked alongside a DK, pally, and a monk. All three were in higher item level gear than I and all three did a bit more damage than I, but I took considerably less damage than any of them. Granted, I havn't run anything higher than regular 10 man Garalon, but I can't imagine that those numbers would change with bigger and better content. In my opinion, we ARE harder to kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Well your coming from Blood DK so no wonder you think warr damage is bad Blood DKs tend to have better damage at low vengeance.

Warrior Damage sucks without high vengeance. My AoE DPS ranges from 40k to 650k, which kinda shows how broken the whole Vengeance thing is.
    It's because of how Deep Wounds scales w/ AP for AoE.

Deleted
    20k does seem... extremely low
    Just make sure you are using the heavy repercussions glyph and not wasting your rage on heroic strike and exclusively using it on shield block at low gear levels due to not being able to get enough secondary stats to reforge into the hit and expertise hard caps

On AoE packs, 4+ use thunderclap on cooldown as it will generally speaking be your hardest hitting ability, spamming revenge when possible and using as many heavy repercussion'ed Shield Slams as possible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    20k does seem... extremely low
    Just make sure you are using the heavy repercussions glyph and not wasting your rage on heroic strike and exclusively using it on shield block at low gear levels due to not being able to get enough secondary stats to reforge into the hit and expertise hard caps

On AoE packs, 4+ use thunderclap on cooldown as it will generally speaking be your hardest hitting ability, spamming revenge when possible and using as many heavy repercussion'ed Shield Slams as possible
    I'd expect Hold the Line would be more DPS than Heavy Repercussions, especially since Shield Slam is often on cooldown when you hit Shield Block, since it was used to get that necessary rage in the first place.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I've been Prot tanking a guild raid 3 times a week for a few years now. Right now my DPS on single target fights sits around 50k. This is with iLvL485 or so. It's not crazy high but I do make a valiant effort to make a significant contribution to the overall raid damage done, of which I am generally quite successful.

The stat priority I've been using for a few months now which I absolutely love over some of the recommended ones:

Stam > Hit (to 2550) + Exp (to 2550) > Mastery > Parry = Dodge

I don't particularly agree with a lot of Prot War info outlets that avoidance is our top stat. With our 4 piece tier 14 bonus it's so easy to mitigate massive amounts of damage. With 7.5 hit, 7.5 exp, and tier 14 4 piece bonus I'm generating enough rage to chain together Shield Blocks and Shield Barriers at near 100% uptime. This allows me to stack Stam in every gem slot and just be insanely hard to burn down.

That aside, where I maintain my single target DPS is very simple:

I do everything I can to maintain my vengeance, this is the absolute biggest thing you can do.

I keep absolute maximum uptime on my bloodthirst and berserker's rage (unless it's a fight where I may want to hold it for fears)

Anytime there's a point in a fight where I know there will be a lull in damage where I do not need my active mitigation for a long enough period and where I can build my rage back up before I'll be getting hit hard again I will pop Deadly Calm and burn myself resource dry on Heroic Strikes. (Rambling sentence I know...)

I use my Recklessness intelligently. If it's a short fight and we may Bloodlust at the end before the 5 minute mark has passed, I'll hold Recklessness and pop it only for the Bloodlust. Most any other situation I'll pop it at the beginning of a fight and then hold it for a Bloodlust.

Beyond these simple tricks I just maintain my Devestate sunder stacks, pop Revenge and Shieldwall on procs or when they're off CD, and I try to pop all my Heroic Strike free cast procs. I'll mix in a shockwave here and there if I come up with an otherwise dead GCD.

I'm sure there's something I could be doing better. But, this is the playstyle I've developed on my own without ever having read a guide and it works for me. I find it quite enjoyable and I get mad at myself if I drop below 8% damage done on a boss.

Deleted
    I would strongly suggest taking hold the line and heavy repercussions tbh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astealoth View Post
    Beyond these simple tricks I just maintain my Devestate sunder stacks, pop Revenge and Shieldwall on procs or when they're off CD, and I try to pop all my Heroic Strike free cast procs. I'll mix in a shockwave here and there if I come up with an otherwise dead GCD.
    You should try using Dragon Roar instead of shockwave, that "empty GCD" could've been a devastate that could've procced a shield slam. And it also lines up very well with Bloodbath for easy maintanence on both the abilities through a macro...

And you could try go for the 15% exp cap (5100rating). This I think is very personal if you want to go for or not but it's sure worth to give a try at least. You can always revert back...

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    One trick I use for situations where I'm off-tanking is watching my vengeance stack and using intervene on the other tank when it's close to dropping. This will usually refresh my stacks and allow me to keep dpsing with the high vengeance for a bit longer, also helps reduce the amount of damage my tanking partner takes with Safeguard. Otherwise, just make sure to keep using those globals.

Work on getting hit and exp capped.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose6 View Post
    I don't know what the theoretical numbers are, but I've tanked alongside a DK, pally, and a monk. All three were in higher item level gear than I and all three did a bit more damage than I, but I took considerably less damage than any of them. Granted, I havn't run anything higher than regular 10 man Garalon, but I can't imagine that those numbers would change with bigger and better content. In my opinion, we ARE harder to kill.
    Yar, warriors and monks have a lot less health than druids and DKs but we take a fraction of the damage