View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good change to Professions?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I like the changes.

    160 66.12%
  • No I like Professions as they are.

    35 14.46%
  • I don't mind if they stay the same or change.

    31 12.81%
  • I think there is a better way to make professions less hassle - tell us your ideas below!

    16 6.61%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    I hope enchanting changes clicking an enchant then having to accept the overwrite dialogue over and over for 1 skill point is pretty tedious

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by makkk View Post
    I hope enchanting changes clicking an enchant then having to accept the overwrite dialogue over and over for 1 skill point is pretty tedious
    Just write a macro to /enchant ... accept/confirm

    Lather, rinse, repeat

  3. #63
    Brewmaster Zaxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sofia/Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I think Blizz backed themselves into a corner with CRZ and this is their fix to the inconvenice it causes when farming low level mats.
    I dint see any issues to farm low level mats you ppl are just lazy.Only issue that i have are that BS needs far more mats compared to engeneering or Jewelcrafting

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    I think you're conflating complicated and boring.
    Well I think you are confusing the words boring and mandatory. If its boring, dont do it. If you want it, and get through the "boring", it will feel "earned".

    Oh and Makk...thats because you are doing it wrong. Theres always enchants in the lower brackets that sell decent when put on vellum, or banked for an alt one day while u lvl up enchanting.

  5. #65
    I am Murloc! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    5,793
    Can we stop with the insults and impying laziness people. It's not about lazyness, its about change, things have changed in the game over the years that affects the way professions now work, due to faster character levelling etc.

    No ones asking for a profession to be handed to them at level cap, we just want it to be more fun and less tedious. And I for one would love to hear peoples ideas on how to do this!

    The current change (ghost iron) doesn't solve this issue, but it does help out in the meantime, till such a day comes when/if Blizzard decides to overhaul the proffs.

  6. #66
    Shaking my head so severely at some of the complaints about this I think I have whiplash. Really? People are lazy now? You know you still have to go farm Ghost Iron ore right? You know that now Ghost Iron Ore Prices are going to be higher right? You know they are doing this to push the Lightning Forge feature right? Likely because they anticipate it being a feature lots of people want to use.

    So we're going to require a smaller amount of mats from a smaller portion of the world, but the demand/price for them is going to increase exponentially with the amount of people looking to pick up the profession for the Lightning Forge so IMO for all intents and purposes the only change here now is you don't have to leave Pandaria...and now you in fact have another reason to go out into the world of Pandaria where people can gank you and see you running around in the backround of their screen farming because for some people that's really really important.

    Isn't this the change all of you "THRIVING WORLD" folk like? A reason to leave a major city? You're far more likely to see an equal level player while farming in MOP then you are outside of Pandaria. Plus this will likely help the little guys who get ganked by profession farmers a bit. I know when I am farming I kill any Alliance I see at least once, sometimes twice if they run right back over to me.

    But no. You have to go to less of "the world" now I guess. So it's somehow lessened the chance of someone seeing you farming copper as they go through a starting zone because it apparently makes all the difference in the world...of warcraft.

  7. #67
    I am Murloc! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    Well I think you are confusing the words boring and mandatory. If its boring, dont do it. If you want it, and get through the "boring", it will feel "earned".

    Oh and Makk...thats because you are doing it wrong. Theres always enchants in the lower brackets that sell decent when put on vellum, or banked for an alt one day while u lvl up enchanting.
    Wouldn't you rather earn something that was fun/challenging/immersive to do rather than grind nodes for hours on end and then click create all? I mean professions have their place, and I love them! I wouldn't want to see them removed entirely, however in this day and age of the game, I do think they need looked at, and be brought into line with how the game is today. Whether that be through quests/scenarios/revamping the mats needed to craft items, adding new items, etc I don't know, but if you have any ideas I would be glad to hear them

    *Note on the Scenarios/quests Idea, having say a scenario based on each proff, that one you help the NPCS in that scenario do something related to that proff, then you gain skill ups and maybe some materials, (this was completely just thought up on the spot but perhaps could be something they could use technology wise)

  8. #68
    They prototyped this change with cooking (and the fishing book). This is just the next step and I would expect that by the end of MoP all or at least most professions will have quick catchup methods.

  9. #69
    Didnt have any problem at all leveling BS/Mining on my toon last week, cost around 10k maybe, but was able to level two profession and be able to use some gear on my toon, plus, selling some stuff plus DE some stuff and sell the item

    The most painfull profession to level are Skining and Herbalist, they should put something to make it easier

  10. #70
    Fluffy Kitten Taurenburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pretending not to be here
    Posts
    3,056
    There's good and bad words for this change. While it now is easier to get blacksmithing up, it will make the lower level mats sort of obsolete as you don't really need them anymore. Ofcourse you can still farm/buy the old mats, but the ghost iron is easier to farm and cheaper most of the times. Therefore you'd be stupid to use the low level mats for it.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    Well I think you are confusing the words boring and mandatory. If its boring, dont do it. If you want it, and get through the "boring", it will feel "earned".
    Uhm... no, I mean boring. Flying around and picking up old nodes is tedious. And boring. And in no way mandatory if you have a decent AH. And doing something that's tedious does not usually end with a feeling of "earned" or even accomplishment; more likely than not, it ends in the feeling of relief. As in, "I'm so glad that's over so I can go do something interesting now." There's a reason most of us put off cleaning, mowing, and other mindless menial tasks in favor of playing sports, video games, or pretty much anything else.

  12. #72
    High Overlord kennyisnotdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 05:34 PM ----------


    I love the engagement of being in the world, but to be fair there is nothing engaging for me personally about mindlessy flying around a zone looking for a gold dot on my maps, and spending hours doing so. What with the fact your not always able to level proffs alongside levelling your toon, due to how fast levelling is these days, I feel they need to readjust proffs to co-operate along side the levelling side of things.

    However I like your idea of maybe making them a little harder, but making them more rewarding, its certainly an idea that holds merit.
    Did you have any exaples of the kinds of rewards they could perhaps put in? Or how they could make it a little more challenging?
    Well currently we only get additional sockets and some pre-heroic pre-honor patterns, the 476 are easily replaced. I'm thinking more of a .5 above the current tier. I really enjoyed the BC style of profession only gear, once you choose your mastery or specialization. This doesn't have to be limited to platies. A healer crafting a staff or mh weapon sounds very reasonable. These rewards should give us incremental gain by later on being used to enhance your gear later on. What if we could bust the gear into completely new materials and use them to create even more items that would potentially be used for things like rep turn ins. Leveling rep through professions was great for the darkmoon faire rep. We are still contributing to the causes that daily hubs are supposed to represent.

    Having another profession like JC would allow you to cut blue gems but not a much higher quality then that if you were a pro BS. on the flipside if your were a pro JC, you could cut gems that added amazing effects to your armor like color and special effects like the challenge mode armor effects. For raids you could imagine a gem combo that enabled you to benefit from a specific race in wow like e.g. hozen for haste or neurubians for curses. Or even race specific JC specialization. IMHO thats a great trade off and would make each profession be equally awesome to choose from. Not just an AH gear drop.

    Just to touch on how fast we level and balancing the professions. I have 7 lvl 90s and give them each a gather and corresponding crafting profession. Some are double gathering becuase I have interest to do a craft with them. As I level in an area I make sure to farm materials that I need before I press on. If someone decides to focus primarily on xp per hour and quest that should be their measure of success. A well rounded player will take into consideration everything before blasting through content if they are truly playing to experience wow as it is designed. I'm not sure if the old BS quest is still available but things like that gave you a full sense of ownership to your role in wow as a BS. Is this just a lack of focus for blizzard? What could create such a disconnect that they only optimize to get people to current end game as quick as possible? Not saying take a month to lvl but just to understand the core aspects of the game and storyline and what role you want to play.

  13. #73
    As much as I love the idea it's going to crash some parts of the AH/Economy.

  14. #74
    I am Murloc! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyisnotdead View Post
    Well currently we only get additional sockets and some pre-heroic pre-honor patterns, the 476 are easily replaced. I'm thinking more of a .5 above the current tier. I really enjoyed the BC style of profession only gear, once you choose your mastery or specialization. This doesn't have to be limited to platies. A healer crafting a staff or mh weapon sounds very reasonable. These rewards should give us incremental gain by later on being used to enhance your gear later on. What if we could bust the gear into completely new materials and use them to create even more items that would potentially be used for things like rep turn ins. Leveling rep through professions was great for the darkmoon faire rep. We are still contributing to the causes that daily hubs are supposed to represent.

    Having another profession like JC would allow you to cut blue gems but not a much higher quality then that if you were a pro BS. on the flipside if your were a pro JC, you could cut gems that added amazing effects to your armor like color and special effects like the challenge mode armor effects. For raids you could imagine a gem combo that enabled you to benefit from a specific race in wow like e.g. hozen for haste or neurubians for curses. Or even race specific JC specialization. IMHO thats a great trade off and would make each profession be equally awesome to choose from. Not just an AH gear drop.

    Just to touch on how fast we level and balancing the professions. I have 7 lvl 90s and give them each a gather and corresponding crafting profession. Some are double gathering becuase I have interest to do a craft with them. As I level in an area I make sure to farm materials that I need before I press on. If someone decides to focus primarily on xp per hour and quest that should be their measure of success. A well rounded player will take into consideration everything before blasting through content if they are truly playing to experience wow as it is designed. I'm not sure if the old BS quest is still available but things like that gave you a full sense of ownership to your role in wow as a BS. Is this just a lack of focus for blizzard? What could create such a disconnect that they only optimize to get people to current end game as quick as possible? Not saying take a month to lvl but just to understand the core aspects of the game and storyline and what role you want to play.

    Great post! and you make alot of very valid and interesting points, specifically the old TBC style, of choosing a specialzation, I remember the BS'ing specials aswell as the tailioring specials, shadoweave/mooncloth/spellfire etc. choosing a path to go down that would benefit your character more than the others. I agree bringing back or something akin to that older system would be fab, I want to connect more to my professions rather than it be *well this proff is best at end game as it gives me the best bang for my buck* I'd rather have it be *well this proff looks super fun and has alot of amazing things that could be fun and benefit my character*

    As it is right now, you level your proff to cap to get the end game stat bonus, but all those recipes you learned and levelled through sit there doing basically nothing unless someone in your guild or an alt needs a specific bit of gear to fill a slot that heirlooms don't provide, even then the amount of mats it takes to make them, most tend to just buy a world drop green off the AH.

    I'd just love crafting to be a bit more than getting it to level cap, and lower level items be useful, even if they were purely cosmetic!

  15. #75
    I don't mind the change and I'm already max blacksmithing on two characters.

    I just want a huge professions sweep to make everything more neat and useful.

    I want to see parts of the item I'm crafting on the bench and on the anvil and being hammered.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    Great post! and you make alot of very valid and interesting points, specifically the old TBC style, of choosing a specialzation, I remember the BS'ing specials aswell as the tailioring specials, shadoweave/mooncloth/spellfire etc. choosing a path to go down that would benefit your character more than the others. I agree bringing back or something akin to that older system would be fab, I want to connect more to my professions rather than it be *well this proff is best at end game as it gives me the best bang for my buck* I'd rather have it be *well this proff looks super fun and has alot of amazing things that could be fun and benefit my character*

    As it is right now, you level your proff to cap to get the end game stat bonus, but all those recipes you learned and levelled through sit there doing basically nothing unless someone in your guild or an alt needs a specific bit of gear to fill a slot that heirlooms don't provide, even then the amount of mats it takes to make them, most tend to just buy a world drop green off the AH.

    I'd just love crafting to be a bit more than getting it to level cap, and lower level items be useful, even if they were purely cosmetic!
    There is no reason that your professions should go unused once you hit max level there is always someone that will want you can craft and there is plenty of gold to be made on the AH.

  17. #77
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    Can we stop with the insults and impying laziness people. It's not about lazyness, its about change, things have changed in the game over the years that affects the way professions now work, due to faster character levelling etc.

    No ones asking for a profession to be handed to them at level cap, we just want it to be more fun and less tedious. And I for one would love to hear peoples ideas on how to do this!

    The current change (ghost iron) doesn't solve this issue, but it does help out in the meantime, till such a day comes when/if Blizzard decides to overhaul the proffs.
    You act like it takes long to do it anyway. They have gone back and lowered the amount of mats needed for old Xpacs already. This will just streamline things even further. If you motivation behind want this change is "because it will be less work" that does indeed touch on laziness. Regardless, this change isn't "fun." There is no neat little mini game. Instead of buy old mats, or farming old mats, you will just need to buy more current mats, or farm more current mats. Its just making the old world more and more transparent.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 04:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    Wouldn't you rather earn something that was fun/challenging/immersive to do rather than grind nodes for hours on end and then click create all?
    Of course I want everything to be fun and immersive, but this change doesn't do that, and doesn't aim to do that. Its about streamlining, and making things easier. Its about just taking the old world out of the equation. You can just sit at sunsong ranch now, grow some ghost iron and level up your BSing. You can sit at sunsong ranch and buy all your cooking mats and go straight from 1-max. Please don't try to masquerade this as a fun change, or a challenging change, and don't pretend like the intention behind this change is anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

  18. #78
    Do this with all professions... please. Nothing more annoying then leveling new professions on new characters. Enchanting was death to level. I still haven't leveled some others because of how dreadful it is.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Uhm... no, I mean boring. Flying around and picking up old nodes is tedious. And boring. And in no way mandatory if you have a decent AH. And doing something that's tedious does not usually end with a feeling of "earned" or even accomplishment; more likely than not, it ends in the feeling of relief. As in, "I'm so glad that's over so I can go do something interesting now." There's a reason most of us put off cleaning, mowing, and other mindless menial tasks in favor of playing sports, video games, or pretty much anything else.
    For one, baring pussy gold buyers, buying it off the AH is the same as farming the nodes yourself, because you earned that gold.

    For two, if you truly favor things such as sports and video games over real life things such as cleaning, working, and actually accomplishing things...ur lifes gonna be roooouuuugh.

  20. #80
    The players saying we are lazy have obviously not leveled a profession in MoP. It's so easy to bottleneck professions and make profit from hard to find mats that are REQUIRED to level up. It's unfair and exploitative.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •