Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Removing gathering profs

Given the new direction profs are taking where you can catch up using nothing more than mats from the most recent expansion (cooking and now blacksmithing), is it perhaps time to eliminate the gathering professions? I mean eliminate them as professions. Instead, everyone would simply be able to gather any kind of mats. Or it could be built into the various professions: alchemy allows herb gathering, engineering allows mining, etc. Enchanting already works this way - you gather only by having the profession.

I've always found it annoying to have to level gathering professions. When I swap as a high level character, I have to spend ages in low level zones flying from spot to spot. As a low level character, it's somehow worse, because you out-level an area far before your profession is ready for you to move on (e.g. you're ready to move on to a new zone that no longer has kingsblood in it, but your herbalism isn't close to high enough to pick herbs in the new area).

Personally, I'd like to see them opened up to everyone, allowing any character to gather any material. I think tying the gathering ability to the primary profs is a decent second option. Thoughts?

I'd prefer if gathering stayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd actually be ok with gathering professions being linked to the main professions that need them or just being secondary like fishing or cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

The general idea it to level the profession as you level your character... Just try and think of the days where flying mounts didn't exist at all. All things considered, we have it easy now by being able to fly around and spend 10 minutes leveling and farming through zones instead of hours by land mount. Not to mention you'd probably see drastic auction house price swings and so forth and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it. I think it's more likely that professions generally will get a redesign but I don't see the gathering professions going away. They get players out in the world and playing. Materials will always be required one way or another.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    You can use the same logic on any other profession. All the new patterns drop from new raids and dungeons so why just not make them items?

10+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts are, this is a horrible idea.. one of the worst ideas at all to be exact.
    It really gets to the point of ridiculousness, anything that has the least to do with a tiny bit of efforts on ones part is getting asked to be removed..
    I mean seriously.. Why can't take people the game for what it is, and what it offers.. Jesus Christ.... Really..

Doesn't "remove" gathering professions at all. You will need to gather tons and tons and tons of ghost iron. What it does it make older mats entirely obsolete, which means leveling a gathering profession is exactly a waste of time beyond whats current and usable. The direction changed should go similar to that of fishing; you can mine any node but your yield as a low level will be pathetic, while at higher levels it will be substantial. Profession is still required.

Admittedly having a gathering profession is annoying simply because it comes at the cost of having a second... more useful profession.

It'd be nice if went something like:
    - Inscription and Alchemy gave you Herbalism
    - Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting and Engineering gave you Mining
    - Leatherworking gave you Skinning

- Tailoring and and Enchanting don't need to change.

Deleted
    They should keep the gathering professions. To help catch up faster the low level nodes should stay green and not turn grey.

I could see lumping Mining into smithing, jewelcrafting and engineering, Herbalism into inscription and alchemy and so forth. Enchanting already operates under this system and it's fine. Making anyone able to loot anything, however, would feel a bit odd.

I suspect at some point (next xpac?) Blizz will reclassify the gathering profs and let you have one gather and two crafting per character.

But I can't see them eliminating gathering altogether. There's the issue that with Looms and LFD it's almost impossible to level profs along with a character unless you very deliberately do so (or level up loremaster style), but the solution to that may simply be awarding more points per orange skillup for low level recipes/gather. EDIT: Unless I'm misremembering, I think they did that with First Aid recently.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Why can't people take the game for what it is, and what it offers.. Jesus Christ.... Really..
    This is so damn true these days! People want it all right now without putting in any effort. I swear these people even macro their login username/password cause they don't want to type it in when they login!

Quote Originally Posted by Brintar View Post
    The general idea it to level the profession as you level your character... Just try and think of the days where flying mounts didn't exist at all. All things considered, we have it easy now by being able to fly around and spend 10 minutes leveling and farming through zones instead of hours by land mount. Not to mention you'd probably see drastic auction house price swings and so forth and so on.
    The problem is that you can't really level them as you level your character. I've tried several times. You way out-level an area before your profession is high enough to move on, even if you lollygag.

To me...the catch up is...you can fly. Which is a heckuva lot faster than hoofing it around on foot or ground mount...which is what folks did if they were raising skill while leveling.
    Some time needs to be involved...or it devalues the time and effort other have put in. I've moved professions around a number of times...I didn't think the time I put in to do so was excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    I doubt it. I think it's more likely that professions generally will get a redesign but I don't see the gathering professions going away. They get players out in the world and playing. Materials will always be required one way or another.
    I didn't say remove needing mats, just remove the "skill" required to gather them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mujz86 View Post
    They should keep the gathering professions. To help catch up faster the low level nodes should stay green and not turn grey.
    Have a look at the thread in GenD discussing the changes to Blacksmithing. Apparently, something is in the works for 5.2 where you can level BS from 1-500 with Ghost Iron. I haven't seen the details but that's an interesting change. This was mentioned in the op and there's some discussion going on about it here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...o-see-a-change
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    You can use the same logic on any other profession. All the new patterns drop from new raids and dungeons so why just not make them items?
    I don't follow. I'm saying not require a "skill" in order to gather mats around the world. How does that map to your pattern analogy?

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Doesn't "remove" gathering professions at all. You will need to gather tons and tons and tons of ghost iron. What it does it make older mats entirely obsolete, which means leveling a gathering profession is exactly a waste of time beyond whats current and usable. The direction changed should go similar to that of fishing; you can mine any node but your yield as a low level will be pathetic, while at higher levels it will be substantial. Profession is still required.
    That's interesting. Allow people to gather anything, but increase % chance of more materials based on your gathering skill level.

Deleted
    I'm all up for this idea! Since Blizzard won't give better abilities to gathering professions, they should simply fuse them with their associated professions and keep both benefits in one. For example, keep the extra stamina from mining with the extra sockets from blacksmithing, etc.