Creating a new BOA interface

Lately since starting on a new server (and no I don't need my BOA's I brought them over on a toon transfer after leveling a few toons without them) I've been enjoying the account wide pets interface including the ability to transfer gold across server using it, and was wondering if it would be possible to use a very similar feature for BOA's where it's bought/earned/etc on one toon and then "learned" and then on all your other account toons you can just "cage" it and use it for that toon, obviously you would then need to "learn" it again before being able to "cage" it. It's more elegant then having all of your BOA's on every single toon mailed to it when created, while also keeping each 1 purchased to being usable on only 1 toon at a time, and just like pets you could purchase more then 1 of each type.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my fingers crossed for this type of thing since heirlooms came out.

They keep saying there's some sort of technical limitation. I'm no computer scientist but if they can do it with mounts, pets, and achieves why can't they do it with heirlooms?
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    They keep saying there's some sort of technical limitation. I'm no computer scientist but if they can do it with mounts, pets, and achieves why can't they do it with heirlooms?
    Because heirlooms are items, while pets and mounts are spells. If they could convert them to spells then they could easily be integrated into the current account-wide system, but I don't think that's going to happen, so they need to develop a system that lets items be sent across servers.

Blizzard has mentioned considering a system like the OP describes. It's just a matter of developing the technology, and they don't consider it a very high priority.

Yeah I've had similar thoughts.

There is really no reason that when you buy a heirloom item for the first time that it couldn't just get sent to every character on your account (present and future). They did that kind of thing with Blizzcon pets and Blizzard store items.

Honestly, If I could have heirloom items on other realms I would have made a lot of alts already just for the fun of it. I think Blizzard is missing out on getting people to play more by not doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Because heirlooms are items, while pets and mounts are spells. If they could convert them to spells then they could easily be integrated into the current account-wide system, but I don't think that's going to happen, so they need to develop a system that lets items be sent across servers.

Blizzard has mentioned considering a system like the OP describes. It's just a matter of developing the technology, and they don't consider it a very high priority.
    The interesting thing about the pet interface though is that you do end up with items if you cage your pets, so they would (possibly) just need to introduce the spell part to allow for x-realm transfers.

It's obvious that "technical limitation" is just an excuse, they want to get more money from transfers and stuff, cuz some ppl can't imagine to lvl up on new server without heirlooms (even tho leveling right now is not problem at all)

EDIT: They could also make some option on web site if it's a really technical problem.
    Loved by Few, Hated by Many, Respected by All

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't they give us an achievement when we earn an heirloom?

Then just make a vendor in SW/Org that has all the heirlooms for a really cheap price (like 1g each) and they are locked unless you have the achievement.

IIRC there was a cloak (pattern?) in wotlk that you got for completing loremaster achieve. Correct me if I'm wrong (again not a computer scientist) but isn't this the same idea?

Granted, it isn't the most elegant solution but it would work.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Then just make a vendor in SW/Org that has all the heirlooms for a really cheap price (like 1g each) and they are locked unless you have the achievement.

IIRC there was a cloak (pattern?) in wotlk that you got for completing loremaster achieve. Correct me if I'm wrong (again not a computer scientist) but isn't this the same idea?

Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with it even if they made it so you needed to get the full "set" of each armor type to get the achievement. And since Achievements are account wide now it shouldn't be too hard for them to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardeen View Post
    The interesting thing about the pet interface though is that you do end up with items if you cage your pets, so they would (possibly) just need to introduce the spell part to allow for x-realm transfers.
    Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up doing something like that when the time comes. It's probably a little more complicated than pets due to enchants, though.

They don't want to use a vendor because they don't want heirlooms to be duplicated. The vendor would only work if it also deleted any copy of that heirloom from every other character when you bought it.

10+ Year Old Account
    well you have to understand

we have the technology to send you 50 fucking mounts in the mail that you have purchased from the blizzard store (which were on-use items) every time you make a character

but we don't have the technology to replace those items with heirlooms

i dunno, just seems sketchy to me.

But I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. It's been asked for ever since Heirlooms were put in the game, and has not made it's way there. By the time they put it in the game, you could probably have 50 level 90 characters, deleted them all, and done it all over again.

Just level up without them, show them that server transfers are only for rich or desperate people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    well you have to understand

we have the technology to send you 50 fucking mounts in the mail that you have purchased from the blizzard store (which were on-use items) every time you make a character

but we don't have the technology to replace those items with heirlooms

i dunno, just seems sketchy to me.

But I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. It's been asked for ever since Heirlooms were put in the game, and has not made it's way there. By the time they put it in the game, you could probably have 50 level 90 characters, deleted them all, and done it all over again.

Just level up without them, show them that server transfers are only for rich or desperate people.
    It's not the same thing. Heirlooms are just one item, one copy, on one server. It's not a spell like a mount.

When you created a new toon, a copy of all purchased mounts/pets was created on that server. It's still bound by the same technical limitation; it could not be mailed to another server any more than a piece of heirloom gear could. Blizzard has made it clear they don't want you to just get mailed copies of all heirloom gear every time you create a toon.

Steal the Item Claim design from TERA. Boom, problem solved.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

While I appreciate the conversation, I was hoping to keep it from degrading into this whole "blizz is lazy" and all the very ugly solutions that people have brought up before and have been rejected. The idea of having all 40 of my BOA's sent to every toon I have created would be an absolute mess, as well as the vendor method. For example people would just "earn" one trinket and then "buy" two of them from the vendor is a very easy way to cheat that system and would be messy.

I would rather keep this conversation centered around the idea of using an interface almost identical to the pet system where you buy the items, and you can either use it on that person or "cage" it and put it the x-realm inventory to be caged and brought out on only one toon, who can put it back into the inventory when you choose.