1. #1

    Enormous commercial sign of Michael Jackson

    Hey. I thought I'd share an amazing picture (in my opinion) from my recent trip to Dubai. As you all know It's a country which is constantly being built in. And while this is happening, some places doesn't look very nice while under construction. Therefore they have enormous commercial signs along the highway in order to hide this until the building is finished.

    This one especially caught my eye because Michael Jackson has been my idol since I was very young. I also know they feature his song Thriller in one of their world's largest fountain shows, as well as that he was to a trip in Dubai 7 years ago, 2005.

    Compare the size of the commercial sign with the bus. My camera couldn't even catch the whole sign since it was so huge, I'd say 1/3 of the sign is missing.

    (In the backround is Burj Al Arab, world's most luxury hotel being the only one with 7 stars).



    Has anyone been to Dubai? What's your impressions? In my opinion it was a blast, I can't wait to go back again! It's such an adventure with endless things to explore and see.

    I don't have a clue if this picture is something special for you, however in Sweden we have nothing like this haha.
    The High Heavens shall burn.

  2. #2
    thats amazing.

  3. #3
    I have mixed feelings with it. First of all I find it hilarious that Pepsi uses this commercial and uses the song BAD in gigantic letters right next to it.

    Second of all, I've never been to Dubai. I have no idea how they keep paying for the shit they build (probably they don't), but in my opinion that's not a city for the future. It's fancy, yes, it's downright mindblowing. But it does not look at the future. They jsut built it, because they can and because it's fancy as fuck.

    If I'm not mistaken, there's another project very close to Dubai, which is fancy too, but uses fuckloads of green technology, it's probably the greenest CITY in the entire world when it's done. Now I'm not all to much into the environment, but it's something worth mentioning right next to the biggest skyscrapers in the world.

  4. #4
    The Patient ShamanTankFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    254
    Dubai was actually a pretty interesting place. It is interesting to note that it is a city of VERY large and spectacular achievments. They have the world's largest luxury cruiser, they have one of the worlds largest indoor malls (that has a mountain slope in it so you can ski), and they have also terra-formed islands off-shore to make them look like a giant ass palm tree. That place is nuts and is honestly a tourist hot-spot right now; which will most likely not die down anytime soon. Only problem I came across while I was there is that it was so damn hot...and their taxi drivers will take advantage of you in a heartbeat.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    I have mixed feelings with it. First of all I find it hilarious that Pepsi uses this commercial and uses the song BAD in gigantic letters right next to it.

    Second of all, I've never been to Dubai. I have no idea how they keep paying for the shit they build (probably they don't), but in my opinion that's not a city for the future. It's fancy, yes, it's downright mindblowing. But it does not look at the future. They jsut built it, because they can and because it's fancy as fuck.

    If I'm not mistaken, there's another project very close to Dubai, which is fancy too, but uses fuckloads of green technology, it's probably the greenest CITY in the entire world when it's done. Now I'm not all to much into the environment, but it's something worth mentioning right next to the biggest skyscrapers in the world.
    Dubai is rich because of their oil, but has now realized that it won't generate them money forever. Therefore they have now started to invest in things such as the world's largest building because they want to build up and prepare the country for tourism so that they can make their money there when the oil runs out. As you're saying, it may not be a city for the future. I know they have some financial problems right now.

    Something interesting is that at first the world's largest building in Dubai was named "Burj Dubai" but changed name to "Burj Khalifa". The reason it changed name is because Dubai was in desperate need of money because of their financial problems, therefore they asked their neighbourhoods in the united arab emirates and got help from Khalifa the president of Abu Dhabi. In return for the help he wanted them to change the name of the tower to honor him.

    It's an amazing country. So much friendly and nice people, endless adventures awaits there. There's no crimes or anything happening since there's such strict punishments. A funny fact is that alcohol is not allowed, which is both positive and negative. It's another reason no crimes are happening there, but could limit the amount of fun you're having.
    The High Heavens shall burn.

  6. #6
    That city is built on top of the bodies of those who built it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMh-vlQwrmU

    Thats just one of many, many reports, but its the quickest and cut and dry. Pretty much everything except the very tip of the iceberg, the glitz and glam viewed by the public, is disturbing, heartbreaking, inhumane, and sickening.

    All in all 1/10. The water slides are pretty fun.

  7. #7
    Should look up Qatar, if you people find Dubai amasing to. Kinda the same Id guess, oil money>any other money so.

    Anywho, can't really see the point of Dubai. I guess its for the people with plenty of money, but as a european tourist Id rather travel less time by flying, saving that money, and then enjoying the sun inn like Malorca or w/e.

    Anywho, one thing that amases me is there architecture, the hole engineering behind thoes "artpeices". Its not just building some steelwires and bricks. Alot of knowledge has proboaly been made from all thoes building.

    Just things like pumping up sand from the ocean....Brilliant? Lack space on the ground....??? NP's.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria/Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,047
    An unsustainable city built through inhumane and oppressive methods that thinks it can buy its way to the status of cities such as Paris and Rome. Pathetic, and not even very interesting unless you like looking at money dumps.

    And for those of you who think the terraforming is cool, consider the fact that they've totally fucked up their tidal system by building those giant unnatural forms - and that without constant daily upkeep those landforms would be entirely eroded by the ocean in very little time.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2013-02-04 at 08:17 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    That city is built on top of the bodies of those who built it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMh-vlQwrmU

    Thats just one of many, many reports, but its the quickest and cut and dry. Pretty much everything except the very tip of the iceberg, the glitz and glam viewed by the public, is disturbing, heartbreaking, inhumane, and sickening.

    All in all 1/10. The water slides are pretty fun.
    Most civilized nations have suffered similar issues. The Great Wall of China is one, long, graveyard. Parts of Paris are built on top of skeleton-filled catacombs. And any number of construction projects in the US (such as the railroads) are lined with the bodies of people killed for anything from racism to robbery to accidents.

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria/Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Most civilized nations have suffered similar issues. The Great Wall of China is one, long, graveyard. Parts of Paris are built on top of skeleton-filled catacombs. And any number of construction projects in the US (such as the railroads) are lined with the bodies of people killed for anything from racism to robbery to accidents.
    Parts of Paris being built on ancient catacombs has nothing to do with the oppression of the native inhabitants of the Dubai region. Do you even know what catacombs are and what purpose they fulfilled?

    Regarding the other two, though I find fault in comparing deaths associated with the ancient world's largest military structure to those of a modern city - just because it happened in the past doesn't mean we should accept or be blind to it in modern times.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2013-02-04 at 08:22 PM.

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans Bryntrollian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Outside Black Gate of Mordor...
    Posts
    2,653
    It is a prime example of indentured servitude for the most part and the living conditions are quite terrible.
    Synek - best rogue in the world


  12. #12
    I think most of you are exaggerating. It's a beautiful country with not much criminality if any at all. It does have it flaws, but so does many others. However the point of this thread was to stay positive and I asked for thoughts from those who has visited Dubai and are talking from their own experience, rather than people which are only making something up in your mind based of what you've heard.

    It's a tough world we're living in. Living conditions are worse at specific places, dubai is not an exception.
    Last edited by Sowz; 2013-02-04 at 09:41 PM.
    The High Heavens shall burn.

  13. #13
    I'd rather see buildings in progress than huge commercial signs everywhere. Tacky.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    That city is built on top of the bodies of those who built it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMh-vlQwrmU

    Thats just one of many, many reports, but its the quickest and cut and dry. Pretty much everything except the very tip of the iceberg, the glitz and glam viewed by the public, is disturbing, heartbreaking, inhumane, and sickening.

    All in all 1/10. The water slides are pretty fun.
    Yikes! I know this seems big but sadly most people won't care as long it doesn't effect them.

  15. #15
    Dubai is amazing... if you are rich.

    You are fucked otherwise.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowz View Post
    I think most of you are exaggerating. It's a beautiful country with not much criminality if any at all. It does have it flaws, but so does many others. However the point of this thread was to stay positive and I asked for thoughts from those who has visited Dubai and are talking from their own experience, rather than people which are only making something up in your mind based of what you've heard.

    It's a tough world we're living in. Living conditions are worse at specific places, dubai is not an exception.
    I wish. I really do. Next time ur visiting ur new favorite tourist attraction, hop off the beaten trail, and try to even talk to a native, or one of those many nifty "indentured servants" about living and working conditions. Ya, its a tough world, but all the people in charge of dubai, and anyone making money off it, is making it tougher.

    I think its a very beautiful looking place, but its tainted. It reminds me a lot of the cyberpunk world. Sex, drugs, and rock n roll wrapped up in a clean, slick plastic case. Once you look under the case though, its hard to see it the same.

  17. #17
    Dubai is a shitty place, and the way they treat people there is sickening. How people are blind to that fact, or that you still support them is sickening aswell
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

  18. #18
    Your idol is a child molester?

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Majad; 2013-02-05 at 09:39 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Your idol is a child molester?
    You just made an official statement that you're deeply mind-washed by the media, also that you're too mentally retarded in order to create your own thoughts instead of listening to the media.

    It both makes me laugh and depressed. The accussion in 1993 has already been admitted false by the kid, and so will the case in 2005 in a while. He was the most generous man on this earth and would never hurt anyone. That's why he's my idol and will always continue to be throughout my whole life.

    Congratulations, I hope you die a painful death based on the way you treat people, show some respect you dumb kid.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 08:25 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    I wish. I really do. Next time ur visiting ur new favorite tourist attraction, hop off the beaten trail, and try to even talk to a native, or one of those many nifty "indentured servants" about living and working conditions. Ya, its a tough world, but all the people in charge of dubai, and anyone making money off it, is making it tougher.

    I think its a very beautiful looking place, but its tainted. It reminds me a lot of the cyberpunk world. Sex, drugs, and rock n roll wrapped up in a clean, slick plastic case. Once you look under the case though, its hard to see it the same.
    Most of what you mentioned are false except from the living condition at specific places. Also I experienced both the rich and poor areas which I have seen worse at my trips to Turkey, so no need to tell me to look around. I explored EVERYTHING of Dubai.

    Does Dubai remind you of sex and drugs? Are you aware of that it's death penalty or lifetime prison for doing that? It's a clean country, things like that do not happen there.

    Also dubai is not a place for the rich. Me and my family are not close to rich, but we could do everyting anyways because it's so cheap. It's very wide and has options for the poor, medium and rich. If you like luxury shopping in Dubai you have to be rich, but there's also ton of cheap ones at different places.

    That Dubai is for the rich are only words which is supposed to attract celebrities and people with money. It's not very true. Go and experience for yourself.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Majad; 2013-02-05 at 09:40 AM.
    The High Heavens shall burn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •