Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    I have an offtopic question to the OP..

Can you live on that? comfortably? I'm making no assumptions or judgements so please dont see it as rude, but you didnt mention any other income. is that your only come per month? and if you do manage to live on that, that's amazing.

I'm on around £1900 a month after tax and I'm struggling to make ends meet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    As am I at more then twice what you make. It's all relative. Frankly, the only difference I can find between lower and middle class is the amount of debt involved. Sure, if I make it to 65 and retire I'll be well off. But till then its pay check to pay check with the constant threat of losing my house.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

It makes a huge difference where you live -- cities are expensive, especially cities which tend to have housing competition and wealthy inhabitants (like San Francisco).

There are some really interesting lists and statistics if you look around (like this and this).

Stood in the Fire lostprophet12's Avatar

Can you live on that? comfortably? I'm making no assumptions or judgements so please dont see it as rude, but you didnt mention any other income. is that your only come per month? and if you do manage to live on that, that's amazing.

I earn about £700 a month less than you after tax and I have disposable income coming out of my arse, especially since I quit drinking and smoking before christmas.

I actually have two other jobs as well, but the one I mentioned is my personal main source of income. But I still get help from my parents when it comes to rent and a couple of other bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Maybe, but you also have to take into account that the wages haven't kept pace with inflation since 1981 and making the wages we consider decent now would barely considered minimum wage back then. I figure the Navy and GI Bill would both be doable. The job in chemicals would be a duel with the devil though as most now require previous experience and none want to hire and even interning can be hard as hell to get as an option, have even seen an intern position before that required a masters degree to even start as an intern a while back, it has just gotten insane unless he did chemicals while in the Navy. But assuming he got in, he would probably get paid decent, less than he would have gotten back then, but decent.

Overall, I would say he would have gotten up to middle class, upper middle class if he got lucky, but any attempts he made at opening his own business would have been torpedoed with the huge price and amount of paperwork it would take to open one in this day and age, creating a huge barrier of entry, along with the established players doing everything legal and otherwise to make sure he stayed a small player at best while they attempted to crush him. Could see him just starting and getting sued into bankruptcy over some patent infringement case for something he is working with that had a patented applied for 9 years prior by a troll company but they delayed its approval till 3 weeks ago waiting for someone to actually use it or many of the processes requiring stuff that stuff that a company has patented and only license it out at steep prices.
    Chemical sales is still a very lucrative career, and doesn't require as much experience as you might think. You might want to start in a lower tier of sales job first to prove you have what it takes, but after that, they'll definitely take you and then it's just sink or swim. I have 2 uncles in chemical sales now who do very well for themselves (upper middle class). One of them attempted to open his own chemical company, failed for many of the reasons you mentioned, and went back to sales. I also have an aunt who attempted to open her own company after a chemical sales career, failed, and got hired on as the president of a large chemical company and is now solidly upper class (though she got herself an MBA too. Helps to already come from a middle class+ background).

It's not impossible to make your way these days, but you're right that it's not as easy as it once was, and I think probably requires more luck than it once did.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    It makes a huge difference where you live -- cities are expensive, especially cities which tend to have housing competition and wealthy inhabitants (like San Francisco).

There are some really interesting lists and statistics if you look around (like this and this).
    Interesting reading!

Quote Originally Posted by lostprophet12 View Post
    I earn about £700 a month less than you after tax and I have disposable income coming out of my arse, especially since I quit drinking and smoking before christmas.
    I live down south :P I get reamed on almost everything bill wise. the flat I had when i lived up north (st helens way) was 325/month and bigger then now.. where I pay 800/month

Quote Originally Posted by Nayelie View Post
    I actually have two other jobs as well, but the one I mentioned is my personal main source of income. But I still get help from my parents when it comes to rent and a couple of other bills.
    ah ok, as I said, I didnt mean to be rude or owt, I was just curious to the median sort of living costs :0