Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Which is not entirely dissimilar from how it used to be. If you didn't work in the good old days without all this guberment you died, and most of the time a lot faster and from a lot more things. All that's changed is the work we do and our odds of survival.

    Your visions of freedom without government are a delusion and anarcho-capitalists, which is what your words remind me of, are some of the most childishly ignorant people of them all. Most insufferable is that they seem to think they've discovered something unnoticed by the rest of us. You seem to be under the illusion that those are your roads, they're not. Can I go shit in your bed while you're still in it? According to you I should be able to but I think both of us can agree that wouldn't be best. Quit treating absolute freedom like it's a good or desirable thing.
    ok so freedom is a bad thing.. gotcha.

  2. #42
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,513
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    ok so freedom is a bad thing.. gotcha.
    And start learning some reading comprehension while you're at it.

  3. #43
    Legendary! Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,749
    This thread sure took an unexpected turn

    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  4. #44
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,567
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    ok so freedom is a bad thing.. gotcha.
    Depends on your differentiation of freedom i guess. Anarchy is a form of freedom to!

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You're one of those people. OK. There's a reason almost everywhere in the world has government. Because it's good for humanity, and we don't do very well in the absence of government. But if you're really desirous of living on your own with no government intervention, you could always take to International Waters, or go to parts of Somalia, or the deep rainforest in parts of Brazil.
    You could go into politics, if they let you in, if your face fits. Its not 'if you wanted' at all. Politicians look after their own and best interests and anyone who doesnt know that needs to go back to school.

    After all, after any education, unless you live in a tax haven, you pay tax, so you are effectively paying into the slave regime.

    Even in a tax haven you must abide by laws or the government will throw you in prison.

    You are basically a slave with more liberties, enough liberties to convince you that you are in fact free, when in reality, you are not.

  6. #46
    I pay between 27-40% depending on how my company's year went. It's based on how much you make, how many dependants you claim, and how many other jobs you have can be an influence as well sometimes (but that usually makes it go up, not down)
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

  7. #47
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,513
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    You could go into politics, if they let you in, if your face fits. Its not 'if you wanted' at all. Politicians look after their own and best interests and anyone who doesnt know that needs to go back to school.

    After all, after any education, unless you live in a tax haven, you pay tax, so you are effectively paying into the slave regime.

    Even in a tax haven you must abide by laws or the government will throw you in prison.

    You are basically a slave with more liberties, enough liberties to convince you that you are in fact free, when in reality, you are not.
    No one needs to be let into politics. However - you need people to actually agree with and vote for you.

  8. #48
    The Patient Nayelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    319
    So...my thread got turned into...this? Aye aye aye....

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    After all, after any education, unless you live in a tax haven, you pay tax, so you are effectively paying into the slave regime.
    This is why no one treats libertarians like adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Well when you put it that way Obamacare is a lot like Iraq...

  10. #50
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is why no one treats libertarians like adults.
    But but... FREEDOM!?

  11. #51
    Titan peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in England.
    Posts
    13,801
    taxed the more you earn

    kind of annoying, when i was in college working in a shop, some weeks i wouldnt work enough ours to even be taxed, then the next week i would work a few more hours, but because it was just enough to tax, i would actually earn less than the previous week. fun stuff. i dont really mind in the grand scheme of things. just annoyed me while in college
    Signature pending

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    kind of annoying, when i was in college working in a shop, some weeks i wouldnt work enough ours to even be taxed, then the next week i would work a few more hours, but because it was just enough to tax, i would actually earn less than the previous week. fun stuff. i dont really mind in the grand scheme of things. just annoyed me while in college
    Unless some locale has a painfully stupid policy, this isn't how graduated tax brackets work.
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Well when you put it that way Obamacare is a lot like Iraq...

  13. #53
    you contribute according to your ability,the rich pay more the poor less,makes sense right?
    The constructive troll!

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    taxed the more you earn

    kind of annoying, when i was in college working in a shop, some weeks i wouldnt work enough ours to even be taxed, then the next week i would work a few more hours, but because it was just enough to tax, i would actually earn less than the previous week. fun stuff. i dont really mind in the grand scheme of things. just annoyed me while in college
    Tax in England doesnt work like this at all.

    You get tax free income up to your personal allowance, then pay a % on your taxable income.

    This tax year for most people, the personal tax allowance is £8105. You dont pay any tax at all if you earn less than this. Every £ you earn after that is taxxed for most people at 20%. Then you also pay your % 12 national insurance.

    Under no situation will you suddenly get taxxed for working a few more hours in a week.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by vassilisz View Post
    you contribute according to your ability,the rich pay more the poor less,makes sense right?
    I think you're being sarcastic with the last part of your statement and I'm not sure why...? It actually does make sense.

  16. #56
    Pandaren Monk sizzlinsauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bellforest, Tower state
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Its called a progressive tax you are taxed a greater percent of your income the more you make.
    until..... you get to that highest tax percent then if you make 1m a year you pay the same tax amount as someone at the 200k range

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    "Hard times", no such thing. There's work for everyone but it takes some effort. The "poor" realise it's much better to resort to extortion. The poor are poor because they want to, expect no pity from me, i evade as much as i can.
    Bull turd.

    Here in England we have way more people than jobs. Even if everybody wanted to work, they wouldnt all be able to do so.

    Our welfare programme also has the flaw of paying alot more than those in temporary jobs or earning minimum wage, meaning it is pointless to get back into the workplace.

    You can blame good old Labour for that situation. Thank God the Conservatives are fixing it.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 12:42 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    until..... you get to that highest tax percent then if you make 1m a year you pay the same tax amount as someone at the 200k range
    Incorrect.

    You pay the same PERCENTAGE.

    Big difference to what you just said.

  18. #58
    Your work estimate how mcuh to take out. They usually overestimate it.

    If you want to know the theory behind it, its to give the government a mechanism to destroy your lifestyle if it decides you owe money to it.

  19. #59
    The Lightbringer Levva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by doodarday123 View Post
    Bull turd.

    Here in England we have way more people than jobs. Even if everybody wanted to work, they wouldnt all be able to do so.

    Our welfare programme also has the flaw of paying alot more than those in temporary jobs or earning minimum wage, meaning it is pointless to get back into the workplace.

    You can blame good old Labour for that situation. Thank God the Conservatives are fixing it.
    The same is true for the rest of the UK not just England. You are also mistaken about the benefit system for the vast majority it does actually pay to work and the amount of benefit is less than working. Then there is the various benefits people can get whilst in work to help them on low pay and ease the transition into work.

    The problem is typically the ancillary costs of working. ie: travel to work costs, childcare costs, dependant elderly relatives care etc. Plus the effects that some benefits are withdrawn as soon as someone starts working so that there can be initial shocks to the low income person's budget eg: not getting paid until the end of the month/week and getting losing the benefit too.

    All of which often tip the balance. It is this balance that is being addressed by the coalition to try to make it a more streamlined system where there is a universal benefit that replaces several old different benefits, and this new one is tapered so that entering the workplace is always guaranteed to pay more (at least that's the theory).

    It is the minority of cases however that fuel the political debate (the stereotyped "people sleeping with curtains drawn whilst others go out to work in the cold") when in reality that is not who are being most affected by the changes.

    There are BIG changes needed to our system but don't for a minute be fooled that the conservatives are making the changes to benefit the poor they are making them to reduce spending, indeed its only because of the coalition and not a conservative majority that the more extreme suggestions have been shelved. Although some of those extremes (giving a tax rebate to millionares whilst cutting benefits to the poor) were inexplicably voted for by Nick "I've no spine" Clegg's lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by doodarday123 View Post

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 12:42 AM ----------



    Incorrect.

    You pay the same PERCENTAGE.

    Big difference to what you just said.
    Until the various caps kick in and then the percentage you pay falls as the income you earn rises. So that the highest earners much like the larger companies pay very low rates as they can take advantage of "tax efficiency" schemes unavailable to the average public.
    Author of The official Rawr addon - view your optimised gear in game and ShockAndAwe addon - An Enhancement Shaman Max dps addon
    Click here to join Elitist Jerks and participate in detailed theorycrafting discussions.
    For Cataclysm raiding use EnhSim the Enhancement Shaman DPS simulator to work out what stats are best for your personal gear & talent setup.
    Forum Posting Rules

  20. #60
    It's based on your projected annual income.

    His income works out to almost 50,000 before tax.
    Yours works out to around 17,00 before tax.

    He has a middle class income. You have a lower class income. Hourly rate doesn't matter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •