Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Belgian child molester and murderer wants early release after 16 years.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/marc-dutrou...192457848.html

This is a major issue at this moment in Belgium. Marc Dutroux is one of the biggest criminals in recent Belgian history. He abducted, abused and tortured 6 children between 1995 and 1996 and murdered 4 of them, and had 5 more earlier abductions and rapes on his record. he is currently serving a life sentence in a highsec prison, and has to be available to the government for another 10 years (dutch term is "zich ter beschikking stellen").

the problem is that this "monster of Charleroi", as the media calls him, has asked for early release and monitoring through an electronic ankle bracelet, after only 16 years imprisonment. every single doctor who has examined him calls this man a "core psychopath", someone who had extreme risk of relapse into his old habits and has no remorse, no feelings and no compassion.

You can probably understand that this is a giant shitstorm here in Belgium. I mean, the government has actually reformed the justice system because of him back in 1992, when he got released after 3 years of a 13 year imprisonment for the 5 abductions and rapes. they're working on a second reform because his wife was released on probation last year through the same law that was reformed for Dutroux. this man managed to escape during his first trial, which caused the Belgian secretary of justice to resign from his post. Dutroux is actually using the same law he caused the reform of in his request to be released.

so what's your opinion on this? I doubt anyone here would actually advocate releasing him. hell, even his lawyers think he should stay in jail.

Deleted
    It's nice that he has hope.

Let's crush it.

What is the chance that they are going to let him out then? He can want his early release like nothing else - doesn't mean he should get it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 11:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    It's nice that he has hope.

Let's crush it.
    Citizens of Belgium, take control... take control of your country.

I have to say that I don't know the first thing about the Belgium justice system, but this seems way more complicated than it should be. If he is "requesting" release, why can't it just be denied without any fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by Beenie View Post
    I have to say that I don't know the first thing about the Belgium justice system, but this seems way more complicated than it should be. If he is "requesting" release, why can't it just be denied without any fuss?
    Yea, i bet Breivik wants to be released too but fat chance...

Deleted
    The Doctors say he is showing no remorse, he still has time to serve, force him to serve it out I say. Early release should be for the rehabilitated, this guy doesnt sound like he is.

probably much the same as ours in this respect - we all know charles manson will NEVER be paroled, but they have to give the process due diligence anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Need more information on Belgian justice system. I'm sure his request can and should be turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    What is the chance that they are going to let him out then? He can want his early release like nothing else - doesn't mean he should get it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 11:49 PM ----------

Citizens of Belgium, take control... take control of your country.
    As a citizen of Belgium I say do what's moraly is right to do, I do not care what the media says, while he was a monster by any stretch of the imagination, I do despise that some criminals get an easier time thene others simple because they make a better story.

But as I said, not going to defend him, he's undefendable.
    If he has the right to ask this, let him ask, that said ,he's staying put, he's not getting out.

he's locked in there FOREEEEEEVER.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2013-02-04 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont understand how he can just "request" to be let free? what would be the point of a sentence if people could just ask to leave?

Surely there is something more to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone in jail wants to get out of jail. More at 11.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    probably much the same as ours in this respect - we all know charles manson will NEVER be paroled, but they have to give the process due diligence anyway
    You may be right. Perhaps I read the OP with a different mindset than was intended but it seemed to be implied that there is a possibly (no matter how remote) that the request may be granted.

He deserves nothing and should be ignored.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    I dont understand how he can just "request" to be let free? what would be the point of a sentence if people could just ask to leave?

Most countries allow you to apply for parole, does not mean he will get it.

You may be right. Perhaps I read the OP with a different mindset than was intended but it seemed to be implied that there is a possibly (no matter how remote) that the request may be granted.
    yeah, but remember that the media likes to ham things up. as per my example, manson's last parole hearing raised a shitstorm, with media acting as though there was actually a chance he would get it
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post

Once a certain % of your sentence is done, you can request that, I think, I'm not sure.
    They'll judge if you've changed/show regret/are ready to enter the world again, and release you if they rule you're ready.

I though Belgium Justice System followed the principle of irretroactivity of law.

What about making/reforming laws to suit specific individuals?

Deleted
    Under Belgian law, criminals can be freed after serving a third of their sentences, or after 15 years in the case of those who have received life, a perpetual sentence in Belgium.
    From the link above. Though, that's pretty much bull, aren't there any rules regarding obviously dangerous peoples custody? Like, having experts evaluate them before they get a chance to get out? I mean, knowing they let him run once it'd be very unwise to release him again, cause it'd be very likely something terrible will happen again.
    Last edited by mmoca3a27c8c52; 2013-02-04 at 11:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is he able to be kept passed his 16 years if he is not deemed safe for the public? A 16 year sentence seems pretty small for 4 murders to begin with.

I doubt he will be let free, although he did get out 10 years early for his first set of charges.

Quote Originally Posted by -Clay- View Post
    From the link above. Though, that's pretty much bull, aren't there any rules regarding obviously dangerous peoples custody? Like, having experts evaluate them before they get a chance to get out?
    Under Belgian law, criminals CAN be freed after serving a third of their sentences, or after 15 years in the case of those who have received life, a perpetual sentence in Belgium.

Not must.