Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Brain cells on the other hand cannot grow back
    Brain cells actually grow all the time till we die. It's the speed at which neural connections between cells that slows down.

As a matter of fact, no single cell in your body is older than 48 hours.

OT: I'm roughly average looking, maybe even a bit above average, and I am an intellectual person, but I think I might trade a little bit of my smarts for some help in the looks department. Only a tiny bit though. =p
    Last edited by narzinor; 2013-02-06 at 12:40 AM.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Muscles grow and develope from workout. Due to their mechanism of repairing from workout and thus growing you can have 500% increases in strenght from some skinny guy to power lifter.
    Brain cells on the other hand cannot grow back, they can become 'lazy' and with mental workout you can improve their efficiency to what nature intended should be used but you can't go beyond that. Every other improvement past that point is subjective and test measuring it becomes faulty.
    Actually there are several studies that suggest both grey and white matter regenerates, albeit very slowly.
    Also muscle cells get thicker, they dont add more cells aside from satelite cells, so you can also compare that to the neurons forming more connections.

Also i believe what he is talking about is biological limit being capped, which is different from what you are talking about.
    I have to side with him.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 12:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I disagree! I think motivation is correlated to intellect very strongly.

That aside, if someone can't notice that hitting Pyroblast! or a Lock n' Load proc is good idea, they're fucking stupid.
    Oh yes, in my views motivation is the prime part of intelligence! i dont disagree at all with that, im sure you read my opinions on intelligence before on other posts
    What im saying is that the person has no motivation towards the game, does not mean he isnt highly motivated towards many other things, it can just be his relax-fuckitall thing.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by narzinor View Post
    Brain cells actually grow all the time till we die. It's the speed at which neural connections between cells that slows down.

As a matter of fact, no single cell in your body is older than 48 hours.

OT: I'm roughly average looking, maybe even a bit above average, and I am an intellectual person, but I think I might trade a little bit of my smarts for some help in the looks department. Only a tiny bit though. =p

48 hours? blood cells can live up to 120 days, not sure if the number is correct or am i misunderstanding something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Just curious, why did you add height? Who want's to be tall anyway? I'd happily give away 0.3-0.4' for free.
    Being somewhat taller would've been nice.

I am lead to believe I already am tall and beautiful. I would trade a few centimeters for a bit more IQ though, it's painfull being tall in a world built for not-that-tall people.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Actually there are several studies that suggest both grey and white matter regenerates, albeit very slowly.
    Also muscle cells get thicker, they dont add more cells aside from satelite cells, so you can also compare that to the neurons forming more connections.

Also i believe what he is talking about is biological limit being capped, which is different from what you are talking about.
    I have to side with him.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 12:39 AM ----------

Oh yes, in my views motivation is the prime part of intelligence! i dont disagree at all with that, im sure you read my opinions on intelligence before on other posts
    What im saying is that the person has no motivation towards the game, does not mean he isnt highly motivated towards many other things, it can just be his relax-fuckitall thing.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 12:41 AM ----------

48 hours? blood cells can live up to 120 days, not sure if the number is correct or am i misunderstanding something?
    Think of your notebook's CPU. Usually newer ones have low consumption and turbo modes.
    Obviously first one uses less resources but doesn't have the same processing power.
    Now think of two different processors, let's take new generation intel's i7's.
    First one's regular clock speed is 3.3 Ghz and second one's is 3.5 GHz. Second one is obviously faster one but if you turbo-charge 1st one to 3.9 GHz it will become faster than the second one at the expense of more energy consumed. Translated to humans it means someone who's had frequent mental workout can go past someone else who hasn't been pushing his brain to limits, even if he has weaker base. But all else being equal, with same mental workouts the second person will always outdo the first one.
    Ofcourse the trade off will be higher percentage of your brain used and higher energy consumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    6'5" and decent looking. No deal Howie!

Deleted
    I wouldn't want to be that tall imo

I understand that idea, and i reserve it to neural abnormalities such as autism which essentially rewires brain priorities to specific tasks, it is say, a hyper specialization.

But normal people will not have that much variance at all, it ends up being all about motivation and training, their interests and how long they dedicate to certain tasks which then can train their brains to specialize more into that specific area.

And with that they get closer to their biological limit, which in my view, is quite similar to most people outside of those neural abnormalities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    I checked my facts, and I was wrong. Most cells live only a few days, but certain cells (the examples given were some immune system cells [6-7 weeks] and pancreatic cells [1-2 years]) can live for a lot longer.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

Quote Originally Posted by narzinor View Post
    I checked my facts, and I was wrong. Most cells live only a few days, but certain cells (the examples given were some immune system cells [6-7 weeks] and pancreatic cells [1-2 years]) can live for a lot longer.
    Yeah i wondered about that :P Although it could have been based on the idea that every 7 or 10 years all your cells are replaced so i thought you might have been saying that at any one time you have cells that are younger than 48 hours, thus my question :P

Anyway, yes, neurons can regenerate but it is slow, there are studies being done into drugs that can accelerate that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Can I trade my beauty/height for intelligence?
    These would be my words exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't trade a thing. I am who I am and thats what makes me, me.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Deleted
    I'm 5'10 and average looking, it's an easy no. Peace of mind comes from within, it doesn't require outside influence unless the individual themselves is shallow.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm close to thinking about it these days.

I wonder what would happen to my memories of being forever alone..
    Wouldn't mind a bit more beauty, but I don't need more height. Would be benefitial to be a bit more ignorant, to feel more happy about things :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk, I'm already 6'7", and I wouldn't call myself ugly.

I'm ugly AND dumb. Can I just have one? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm close to thinking about it these days.

I wonder what would happen to my memories of being forever alone..
    Height's a non-issue. As far as beauty, it's all about effort. While some people might have it a little easier naturally, it takes an incredibly unfortunate person to be hopelessly ugly.

I'm just south of 300 pounds (I've lost about 30 in the past few months, steadily making progress, albeit a little slowly). I used to rock the baggy jeans, loose t-shirt and a hoody with some old, torn up Etnies, long, shaggy hair, and a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow with some extra chin fuzz, a horribly complexion, and undoubtedly bad breath. I've always been thought of as a generally likeable guy, but just the kind of guy you'd like to hang out with in addition to a few mutual friends.

Also over the past few months, I've started spending less money of sodas and video games, and more on nicer clothes (slacks, button downs, sweaters, a nice coat). Bought a couple nice pairs of shoes, a couple of decent-looking watches, got a hair cut, spend a little bit of time each day cleaning my face properly, keep well-shaved except for the chin fuzz (since I'm still on the heavy side, it adds a little bit of shape to my face), but I make sure the chin fuzz stays well groomed, work harder on my dental hygiene, shower every day instead of every other night like I had since I was in elementary school, and really take care of my hair. On top of that, I've started wearing just a tiny bit of subtle fragrance.

The result? A date every couple of weeks, a large portion of the women I work with have been going out of their way to talk to me more, I get tons of flirty smiles, and have even gotten a couple of random numbers for waitresses on the backs of receipts (I thought that shit only happened in TV!).

The real secret, though, is confidence. You have to believe in yourself to the point of borderline arrogance (but never cross that threshold), and you really have to show it with your body language.

And I've not had to sacrifice one bit of my intelligence. I'm still well known as that guy that knows a little bit about everything, except now that "everything" also includes men's fashion and grooming.

I know, I know, it might sound dreadfully boring to dress like a respectable member of society. But trust me when I tell you this. There's a LOT you can do to dress well but still inject your own style into it. I'm still all about my dark colors. Blacks, dark grays, deep reds, etc... Never fall victim to the cliches, and always make things your own. Dress well, but don't dress like everyone else.

Last bit of advice, try to find a stylist, not just a run-of-the-mill $10 franchise barber, and tell them to do whatever they think would look good on you. You might not like the results yourself compared to what you prefer on yourself, but I'm sure you'll like it better when everyone starts giving you compliments.

Also, work on your subtle, friendly, meaningless flirtation.

TLR:

Everything takes effort. You don't have to have one or the other when it comes to looks vs smarts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Mmm, nope.
    I like being short and I'm pretty happy with myself so I'm good. :v