Mid level gaming PC help!

Hey everyone! Since my storage unit was broken into while I was deployed, my PC and all accessories need replaced.

My pc was about 5 years old so it needed to be upgraded/revamped sometime soon anyways.

I'm not looking for anything enthusiast level but I would like to play games atleast at 1080.

I have no preferences on intel/nvidia/amd, but I've never overclocked before if that changes anything.

I need all peripherals, monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS.

I'd like to keep my budget around $1500 this number is flexible but less is always better!

Help me MMOC!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just quoted almost this same system to someone with the same budget. I just tacked on a monitor. You can really get whatever Mouse/Keyboard you want, since those are things that are more about comfort than performance. This system is pretty top end, so if you feel you want to, you could probably shave off about $150-300 and still have a very nice gaming system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.21 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VH232H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1428.07
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-04 22:44 EST-0500)

Thanks for the input.

Is that video card better then say the cheaper 670? The case and video card were my biggest unknown areas, I don't know what is better perform per $ that and SSD

Hell since I've been lurking around here the past few days is the first time I've heard of these SSD things

The 7970 ghz edition is better than the 670 in almost all aspects. Picking out a case is mostly about personal preference, airflow and ease of use. I personally love my Corsair C70 arctic white. Though I almost bought a Antec 902. As for SSD's once you get one you never want to be without one. There's little improvement in gaming from using one other than screens loading faster. But they cut your boot times by at least half.

Quote Originally Posted by Equality View Post
    Thanks for the input.

Is that video card better then say the cheaper 670? The case and video card were my biggest unknown areas, I don't know what is better perform per $ that and SSD

Hell since I've been lurking around here the past few days is the first time I've heard of these SSD things
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Just check around that website tbh. I found it pretty helpful

Quote Originally Posted by savvasp View Post

That list doesn't look right. This one shows that the 7970 is better than the 670. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=598

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by savvasp View Post

This "benchmark" is useless, don't use it for any comparison, it's wrong in so many ways.