Thread: DK's in 5.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    dw-frost for a min/maxer like the OP is very complex, so for him will be a lot of fun, as another pointed out a great dk will choose plague leach and blood tap(not macro'd) so you really have a lot to do, not only watching the boss mechanics and adds, but your swing timer, your runes, your diseases, all this while maintaining your priority rotation. anybody can dps as a dk, but not everyone can do great dps as a dk, unless you micro manage yourself, and min/max. so ya i think you'd love to play a dw-frost dk by the sounds of your original post.

unholy will be very viable in 5.2, its very easy to switch for awhile and see how you like the playstyle of unholy vs frost, i still play both, but i think you'll enjoy unholy more, at least if you get bored with one spec, you should be able to switch to a diff spec for awhile making them fun again, unlike monks where you just have one dps spec. dks will have 3 2-hand frost dw-frost and unholy
    Last edited by damescool; 2013-02-08 at 07:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what i learned that sim craft and mathematical best does not apply to the real world. I play destro lock and beat affliction locks in same gear by 5-10k dps. Does that mean that affliction sucks? No just some people are bad at playing the spec or a fight is not that great for the spec. That being said my personal pref would be either frost dk or arms war because i like how much hit is needed for arms and the play style of frost. I don't think that there is "you need to play x" because it about style and what stats you can stack in your favor.

Unrelated to spec changes, but did everyone catch the new Heart of Rage trinket from the new VP vendor?

It was OP the first time around, and this one will be too :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, as for me, I think that unholy is going to be really viable in 5.2 (though unholy is not going far too behind frost right now). And T15 bonuses are great (especially 4 T15). And I presume that new "shadow damage" gargoyle, SR phase from 45% hp can greatly bump up profit of mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    This makes me cringe.

Get Quartz, pay attention to the swing timer. Put it somewhere highly visible. So not start a FS until after a melee attack. This is what separates DK's from each other. Don't want Quartz? Look at the number on your screen, only swing after you see a white hit. They're not hard to spot.
    Codswallop. Been crafted over and over that holding a KM for any degree of time normally amounts to a DPS loss or a relatively trivial gain. RNG plays far more of a roll then any amount of swing timer watching ever will. I'm using codswallop to stress how non confrontational I'm being about this because it's not worth derailing the thread for.

Infact it might be something the OP would quite like to do....I'm just pointing out that if the guy ahead of you on the metres is beating you hands down then getting a swing timer won't really change that.

The basics of any DK rotation/priority w/e we are calling it these days are simple. Runes up and your at >77-81 RP (assuming Unholy rp regen is 10-20 per rune) then cast what your runes allow. No runes? Spam DC or FS untill you do. Got runes and 77/81 RP? Use FS or DC first then spend runes never going over said number. If your looking for a complex rotation you won't find it on DK.

However micromanagement of Blood Tap and Plague Leech add a decent amount of depth and some people will have you believe holding some RP for Timmy when DT has 5-10 seconds left is the most complex and difficult thing to do in WoW.

I love my DK, he's been my main since I started playing again in early Wrath, he's the only reason I ever came back to WoW because I wanted to see the starting stuff then quit. I'm not bored of him yet but obviously your mileage may vary. ATM we have a great tool kit for PvE, we can kite, we can gather adds, we can CC adds, we can put out a raid cool down if the mechanics of an encounter allow for it too alongside competitive DPS (depending on how super serial your raid is).

I hope you give DK a try, I hope you come to love it like I do, but based on how mind numbing you find a Monk rotation then I'm hesitant to say that DK will fill your needs.

DKs that claim their own class is face roll usually don't pick up Plague leech and Blood tap- but those DKs aren't min maxers, and don't understand how the mechanics of DKs work that well. For PVE, DKs have a ton of utility, AoE Stuns, AoE Grips, AoE Slowing, passive AoE, crazy single target DPS, Breses and even we even have burst

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much you can actually do for each fight, and especially in 10m, you can basically do everything.
    Started of Reign In Power, Thrall - US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryolysis View Post
    DKs that claim their own class is face roll usually don't pick up Plague leech and Blood tap- but those DKs aren't min maxers, and don't understand how the mechanics of DKs work that well. For PVE, DKs have a ton of utility, AoE Stuns, AoE Grips, AoE Slowing, passive AoE, crazy single target DPS, Breses and even we even have burst

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much you can actually do for each fight, and especially in 10m, you can basically do everything.
    While this is true to an extent, i'm sorely missing a true cc as such at the moment. Having to bank a blood (death) rune for using asphyxiate feels like a penalty, not to mention the short duration in fights like Zor'lok heroic. Again, RW is great, but having to wait for it to build up in a PvE situation can be very frustrating when a simple stun would be much more effective.

Deleted
    Asphyxiate is free. Strangulate is the one requiring a rune (blood or death).

i think dark simulacrum design should be change i dont like that skill at all and in pvp sometime you lucky and sometime not.

i might try unholy next patch.

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/area%2052/gabbynator/

Fury warrior > Frost DK. There's a passive STR with crit proc trinket next tier, which is delicious for Fury.

Frost has no raid wide DPS cooldown (<3 skull banner) and Rallying Cry is so much stronger than AMZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabbynator View Post
    i think dark simulacrum design should be change i dont like that skill at all and in pvp sometime you lucky and sometime not.
    As I said in the Soul Reaper thread: your personal inability to use an ability properly doesn't make it a bad ability. A correctly timed Dark Sim can easily win games.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    Fury warrior > Frost DK. There's a passive STR with crit proc trinket next tier, which is delicious for Fury.

Frost has no raid wide DPS cooldown (<3 skull banner) and Rallying Cry is so much stronger than AMZ.
    Haven't looked at Sims lately, but from experience and general consensus, Frost DKs perform better in current raid content than Fury Warriors do.

Also, you can't compare raidwide defensive CDs (such as Rallying Cry or Demo Banner) to personal CDs such as AMS. With the upcoming Glyph of Die by the Sword Warriors are indeed getting a much stronger personal CD, but that's another matter.
    Last edited by Vereesa; 2013-02-14 at 03:11 PM.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    Haven't looked at Sims lately, but from experience and general consensus, Frost DKs perform better in current raid content than Fury Warriors do.
    looking at raidbots, overall fury>frost in all modes, with some fights where frost>fury
    edit: top 100 that is, so possible just good rng, the differences are pretty small anyway (2-5k depending on mode) so it's not like anyone would ever go "oh we have a frost Dk and can't beat the enrage because of that" ^^
    Last edited by Enosh; 2013-02-14 at 03:37 PM.

Updating my original thoughts on page 1: Blood is easily the most fun/entertaining leveling experience (85-90) so far, easily trumping all other classes/specs I've played to date: (Warrior Arms/Fury TG, Druid Kitty/Bear/Moonkin, Hunter Survival, Shaman Ele/Enh, Rogue Assassination/Combat, Priest Shadow/Disc, Lock Affliction) ... Usually there's a "jump" from 87-88 questing in the Summit to Townlong/Wastes, where the mobs hit much harder and your pace slows down, this was not the case for my Blood DK. 10+ mobs on every pull, just screaming through quest hubs. Additionally, level 89 allows you to que for the seasonal boss - which as 2H frost I was pulling 35-41k DPS.

That being said, I'm excited about 5.2 and learning How2Unholy - I've always ran a frost DPS spec on my DK and excited that UH is getting some nice tweaks/changes. I'll still be derping on the Warrior - Personally a little bored of SMF/TG, having played Fury through WotLK/Cata, maybe warrior tweaks will make it a little more fluid. Arms is potentially scaling better. We'll see how the haste/mastery buffs work out. I have a feeling there will be some more tweaks to Sudden Death and Overpower. I am, alone, in being a fan of the Heroic Leap (glyph) nerf.

TL;DR: 5.2 = Excited for DK, yawning at my Warrior.