LF Compact/Portable Computer Case

Hello everyone!

I've been watching Chaud's build of the month whenever they pop up, and I've got most of the parts picked out for a computer I'd like to start buying parts for.

I am something of a get up and go kind of guy and currently use an ASUS G74SX. Unfortunately, no matter how good laptops get, desktops will always trump it in comparable power.

I've been trying to find a good smaller case that can fit normal parts and I'm aware that I will most likely need better cooling to make sure the rig doesn't overheat.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a case and type of cooling I would need? This is taking into consideration a mix of Chaud's narwhal/unicorn parts.

Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really need a list of parts you want to put in it to give you an idea, the mobo, psu and gpu will be your limiting factors. Also what you want to do with it will limit it as well (your not going to have a high end rig in a micro atx case and if its a standard atx case then its really not too portable no matter how you look at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A list of parts would be nice.

I recently did a build on a very small case, I manged to tuck in 2 GPU's, 4 HDD/SSD's, ATX motherboard and large CPU cooler.

Here's a link to the case

Full specs:
    AMD FX-6300 @ 4.8 GHz w/ Noctua C12P
    Gigabyte 970A-UD3H
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    AMD Radeon HD 5450
    4x4GB 1333MHz RAM
    5 fans, 3x 120mm & 2x 80mm
    Antec Earthwatts 550w non-modular PSU, although there's room for a larger-sized PSU.

1x 256GB SSD
    1x 128GB SSD
    1x 1TB HDD
    1x 500GB HDD

2x external 1TB HDD's
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

GA-Z77X-D3H <- Motherboard (Gigabyte Micro ATX)

GV-R797OC-3GD <- and this neat little thing. It's the 7970.

I'm not really quite sure for the PSU... however I know that may prove to be the biggest challenge. Finding one that can power what I want.

Unfortunately I cannot post links yet. :/

I was eyeing this for a Micro ATX. Basically, I just don't want a massive hulking tower that's just clumsy as all hell around. It doesn't need to be the size of an XBOX, just not looking for one that stands up to my hip is all (kind of an exaggeration there).
    Last edited by Captain Bad; 2013-02-05 at 05:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All you need for a 7970 is a 550w.

Another one you could look at is the Node 304, which is Micro ATX.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    All you need for a 7970 is a 550w.

Another one you could look at is the Node 304, which is Micro ATX.
    I really like what you did with your setup on Post #3. What are the temps like? Outside of getting everything to fit without really just ramming it in there, that'd be my 2nd greatest concern.

10+ Year Old Account
    At load, the temps are around 60-65c on the CPU, 70c on the GPU if I have VSync turned on, so it's not too bad. Although it can be a little loud.

Armory