Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,224
    wow, this sounds amazing, Witcher in a Skyrim style, who knew... I hope it works for them.

  2. #42
    can't wait. Is it 2014 yet? eh? so? is it?

  3. #43
    Moderator aiko-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I was never able to get into Witcher 2. It still sits on the shelf and I only played it for like 2 hours, then gave up.

    I can't really name one good reason why. Usually I never buy games before knowing that I at least like them. I might give Witcher 3 a try though IF they either make a femgerald or allow the player more freedom when playing the male one. I found the idea of having to "conquer" and sleep with a lot of women offensive.

    Another thing I wish they change is the console-like play style (if it's the right term), I mean things like actively pressing the up key to jump over a rolling barrel or a key combo to dodge a dragon. More active play style is fine but being forced into it is something I hate in RPGs. A good solution would be an option between fast reflexes or investing in jump power or fire resist so you can instead just tank the flames or roll around to avoid them easier.
    These were some of my problems, too. I don't think this series is very female friendly lol. Collecting cards as rewards for your sexual conquests??? Not sure if that carried over into the Witcher 2. I didn't get too far in that game, although the graphics were absolutely amazing.
    I didn't mind combat in either games too much, but it would have been cool to have more customization options.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    These were some of my problems, too. I don't think this series is very female friendly lol. Collecting cards as rewards for your sexual conquests??? Not sure if that carried over into the Witcher 2. I didn't get too far in that game, although the graphics were absolutely amazing.
    I didn't mind combat in either games too much, but it would have been cool to have more customization options.
    the problem is that the game is based on a set character, there may be places for customization option but not that much.
    I was thinking about making the player play as Triss? but still the story is about Geralt anyway.

    Also aikoyamamato, the sex things is veeeeeery toned down in the second episode

    That's also why their long term game si Cyberpunk as they get free from the boundaries that the setting and character they're using with the Witcher gives them

  5. #45
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,550
    Probably the first 70 dollar game I purchase, man, going to enjoy those next gen prices. Hope it actually brings new things to the table, like, give me some real draw distance, would be fun to stand on a mountain and see as far as possible, without the land looking like crap, no trees or grass. It's something they could work on. /rant.


  6. #46
    Moderator aiko-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    the problem is that the game is based on a set character, there may be places for customization option but not that much.
    I was thinking about making the player play as Triss? but still the story is about Geralt anyway.

    Also aikoyamamato, the sex things is veeeeeery toned down in the second episode
    Yeah I meant more combat customization. Like character builds. A femgeralt would be interesting but I understand it would kinda break the story.

    Is it necessary to play the Witcher before the Witcher 2? To understand the story? I know I can probably avoid the whole cards thing but I have a professional degree in stubbornness. Also, I heard about the sex scenes in the Witcher 2. Is it just for the prostitute scenes? In other words, can I skip them all? I'm not a prude, but I don't really want to play a character that can't keep it in his pants lol. I'm okay with sleeping with Triss or something if it's romantic, though I'd still prefer not to see an explicit scene.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Yeah I meant more combat customization. Like character builds. A femgeralt would be interesting but I understand it would kinda break the story.

    Is it necessary to play the Witcher before the Witcher 2? To understand the story? I know I can probably avoid the whole cards thing but I have a professional degree in stubbornness. Also, I heard about the sex scenes in the Witcher 2. Is it just for the prostitute scenes? In other words, can I skip them all? I'm not a prude, but I don't really want to play a character that can't keep it in his pants lol. I'm okay with sleeping with Triss or something if it's romantic, though I'd still prefer not to see an explicit scene.
    It is not necessary to play the first, the story behind the two is quite solid as a stand alone, there are a few references to event in the first one but nothing that makes it necessary

    There are sex scene but the dialog options to make them happen are plenty obvious. Well they're not that explicit, well it's sex but it's not a porn. There're some titties here and there and some kinda of.. action, but without actual direct vision of involved bodyparts interacting with each others.
    Last edited by Brazorf; 2013-02-06 at 06:10 PM.

  8. #48
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,224
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    These were some of my problems, too. I don't think this series is very female friendly lol. Collecting cards as rewards for your sexual conquests??? Not sure if that carried over into the Witcher 2. I didn't get too far in that game, although the graphics were absolutely amazing.
    I didn't mind combat in either games too much, but it would have been cool to have more customization options.
    True that. 1 was not female friendly at all, I mean even after you got along with your "the one" you still had more cards to collect

    In 2 things settled down a bit, yes, there's a scene with a whore, but think that's all outside the main relationship.

    And I do agree, more customization would have been nice. I understand the story is focused on Gerald of Rivia but there has to be a female character too.
    Now, since I don't remember how witchers come to be, it might be because I simply can't remember or they didn't put an accent on this part of the story.

    They could twist it so... Shani didn't actually die (for those that don't know, on her wiki page it says she died somewhere) but in fact took the witcher path too after seeing so much death. They could sort of also make it so that at the start they meet and one of them needs to remain to guard something, while the other goes on the adventure, and you, the player, select, do you want Gerald or Shani.

    If they did touch how witchers get made and I just can't remember, they'd need to implement a fully new character as a witcher lady, to at least have the story tailored to both sides.

    I think that would be amazing to be honest.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 11:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Yeah I meant more combat customization. Like character builds. A femgeralt would be interesting but I understand it would kinda break the story.

    Is it necessary to play the Witcher before the Witcher 2? To understand the story? I know I can probably avoid the whole cards thing but I have a professional degree in stubbornness. Also, I heard about the sex scenes in the Witcher 2. Is it just for the prostitute scenes? In other words, can I skip them all? I'm not a prude, but I don't really want to play a character that can't keep it in his pants lol. I'm okay with sleeping with Triss or something if it's romantic, though I'd still prefer not to see an explicit scene.
    You can skip the prostitutes scenes, though there's 2 instances with Triss you can't skip, one at the very first start of game and one around middle.



    SPOILERS AHEAD:
    Also, not really necessary. If you want the main idea, it's like this: Geralt had amnesia. So he went on his merry way, was trained, battled monsters and met Triss. He also met Shani, though she didn't appear in second Witcher. He fell in love with both (though he remained with Triss, as he's with her in witcher 2). He battled monsters... and an order of sort of templars which were lead by a supernatural being themselves.

    One main theme in the Witcher series is that the humans seem to not get along so well with non-humans. So there's a human supremacy faction, and a elves/dwarves one. This happened in both games. Geralt has 2 friends, a dwarf and a human(think Dandelion was a human).

    In second Witcher the king is killed and Geralt goes to search for the killer since he was framed. It turns out there's other witchers. And dragons, and a plot to take over the world.

    This is the main story.

  9. #49
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,288
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    These were some of my problems, too. I don't think this series is very female friendly lol. Collecting cards as rewards for your sexual conquests??? Not sure if that carried over into the Witcher 2. I didn't get too far in that game, although the graphics were absolutely amazing.
    I didn't mind combat in either games too much, but it would have been cool to have more customization options.
    Well the Witcher is more like Deus Ex HR than an RPG like Dragon Age, in that the player character is already defined in the story, so I don't think there'll be any customization for Geralt. And besides, Geralt is the protagonist in the books, so he's an established character.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  10. #50
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Is it necessary to play the Witcher before the Witcher 2? To understand the story? I know I can probably avoid the whole cards thing but I have a professional degree in stubbornness. Also, I heard about the sex scenes in the Witcher 2. Is it just for the prostitute scenes? In other words, can I skip them all? I'm not a prude, but I don't really want to play a character that can't keep it in his pants lol. I'm okay with sleeping with Triss or something if it's romantic, though I'd still prefer not to see an explicit scene.
    There's only one that's part of the main story (not counting the not-really-sex-scene in the beginning), and it's part of a romantic excursion where they find a hidden pool underneath a garden. It's skippable, and there's no "sex cards" being collected. There are other options for sex, but only if you actively seek them out.

    I personally believe that every aspect of TW2 is superior to TW1. The story in TW1 was pretty much the only thing that kept it going for me, and that's vastly improved upon in TW2 as well. It's not necessary to have played TW1 to get into TW2, but it wouldn't hurt getting a quick synopsis so you understand a few things said that reference TW1's story.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    True that. 1 was not female friendly at all, I mean even after you got along with your "the one" you still had more cards to collect

    In 2 things settled down a bit, yes, there's a scene with a whore, but think that's all outside the main relationship.

    And I do agree, more customization would have been nice. I understand the story is focused on Gerald of Rivia but there has to be a female character too.
    Now, since I don't remember how witchers come to be, it might be because I simply can't remember or they didn't put an accent on this part of the story.

    They could twist it so... Shani didn't actually die (for those that don't know, on her wiki page it says she died somewhere) but in fact took the witcher path too after seeing so much death. They could sort of also make it so that at the start they meet and one of them needs to remain to guard something, while the other goes on the adventure, and you, the player, select, do you want Gerald or Shani.

    If they did touch how witchers get made and I just can't remember, they'd need to implement a fully new character as a witcher lady, to at least have the story tailored to both sides.

    I think that would be amazing to be honest.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 11:15 PM ----------


    You can skip the prostitutes scenes, though there's 2 instances with Triss you can't skip, one at the very first start of game and one around middle.



    SPOILERS AHEAD:
    Also, not really necessary. If you want the main idea, it's like this: Geralt had amnesia. So he went on his merry way, was trained, battled monsters and met Triss. He also met Shani, though she didn't appear in second Witcher. He fell in love with both (though he remained with Triss, as he's with her in witcher 2). He battled monsters... and an order of sort of templars which were lead by a supernatural being themselves.

    One main theme in the Witcher series is that the humans seem to not get along so well with non-humans. So there's a human supremacy faction, and a elves/dwarves one. This happened in both games. Geralt has 2 friends, a dwarf and a human(think Dandelion was a human).

    In second Witcher the king is killed and Geralt goes to search for the killer since he was framed. It turns out there's other witchers. And dragons, and a plot to take over the world.

    This is the main story.
    Witchers are orphans that are colelcted by the witcher and trained, at some points they undergo three trial at the end there's the Trial of the Herbs where they eat specific herbs that undergo their mutations.

    As far as I know only males can become Witchers at all effects.
    Female they mostly becomes sorcerers but magic is quite.. less practical in the Witcher universe than in other fantasy games as using too much can basically kill you unless you're uberpowerful. This is not much evident in the games but much more in the books (at least the ones I could read and that were translated in english so 2 )

    Also Shani never becomes really involved with the Witcher as you can read in the wiki as the main love interest of Geralt was still Triss
    Geralt would dodge his obligations towards her, preferring instead to pursue the missions King Foltest assigned him. The medic quickly realized this flour would yield no bread. She had a serious conversation with the witcher, and they parted amicably. Shani accepted an offer to teach at Oxenfurt and left for that city, whereas Geralt followed Foltest to the lands of the La Valettes. After splitting with Shani, the witcher needed comforting and quickly found solace in Triss Merigold's arms.
    Last edited by Brazorf; 2013-02-06 at 10:33 PM.

  12. #52
    I hope that they wont bring Yennefer to game. She was total whore in book. We still have a couple of orginal and great charaters from books just waiting to show in game. I hope for Dixtra!

    And.
    Femal CAN be witchers. There wasn't any only because of their weakness. Geralt could 'create' awitcher from Ciri. He didn't it because beeing a witcher suck. And he need a mage to do that.
    Last edited by dzikitukan; 2013-02-06 at 10:50 PM.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by dzikitukan View Post
    I hope that they wont bring Yennefer to game. She was total whore in book. We still have a couple of orginal and grat charaters from books just waiting to show in game. I hope for Dixtra!
    she's likely to return, and it will be interesting to see what will happen between her and Triss and how Geralt would deal with that as well. All in all Yennefer saved his life when he was stabbed by a pitchfork and the story went into full "find the wild hunt and rescue Yennefer"

    also she was bound to him during the first book when Geralt asked the wish to the Genie.
    As far as I could muster from the only english book that I could pick up she's also a crazy powerful sorceress
    Last edited by Brazorf; 2013-02-06 at 10:50 PM.

  14. #54
    She didn't save him. She died trying. Ciri saved them both. And disappear in another world. In short stories she was a terrible bitch. But Geralt love her... I have no idea why.

  15. #55
    Moderator aiko-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    This is the main story.
    Thanks! That helps a lot. I always found the story and world very interesting, I just started to find myself not liking Geralt all that much. I find it hard to roleplay as the type of guy that I don't like IRL It would certainly be cool to play Shani, even if for just certain segments. I always liked games with multiple protaganists/perspectives. It would work especially well in a game like the Witcher, where you have opposing factions. I always find it hard to choose who to join when you don't really have much of their actually backstory to go off of lol. Just the chatter from the locals or what you learn from dialog in-game. Some actual perspective would go a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen
    Well the Witcher is more like Deus Ex HR than an RPG like Dragon Age, in that the player character is already defined in the story, so I don't think there'll be any customization for Geralt. And besides, Geralt is the protagonist in the books, so he's an established character.
    Yeah my bad on the wording. Although I like the idea of being able to make a character for games like this (based on a book series) it doesn't quite work. I was referring more to customization of combat ability etc. The Witcher 2 seems to have it much better than 1 with the trees so I'm kinda excited to play it. Just need to stomach Geralt. He's not all that bad surely.
    Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME
    I personally believe that every aspect of TW2 is superior to TW1. The story in TW1 was pretty much the only thing that kept it going for me, and that's vastly improved upon in TW2 as well. It's not necessary to have played TW1 to get into TW2, but it wouldn't hurt getting a quick synopsis so you understand a few things said that reference TW1's story.
    Yeah I might just go into some summaries and spoil the first game's events. Arnorei's synopsis helped a lot too actually. It really seems like such a fleshed out world.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by dzikitukan View Post
    She didn't save him. She died trying. Ciri saved them both. And disappear in another world. In short stories she was a terrible bitch. But Geralt love her... I have no idea why.
    thanks for the infos! ^^ in the novels I could grab in english (two) there's no really much about that event and Yennever in general.

  17. #57
    Quick question. Never played a Witcher game. Witcher 2 is on sale on steam atm (enhanced edition) and I'm thinking of picking it up. A friend told me it's a bitch to run - how hard is it for an average computer (not designed for gaming but which runs most games fairly comfortably) to run? Also, simply put, how good is it? What kind of game is it, and what would make me like or dislike it? Thanks!

    Edit: Can post my specs if it would help? I've looked up the minimum specs for the witcher 2, but I'm comparing them to mine and I honestly havn't the faintest if mine meet them from the comparison. I don't mind games without perfect graphics, as long as it doesn't look totally shit, I'm cool to play without all the neat little touches like shadows and blur and maximum anti-aliasing. Perhaps because I still can't work out what the anti-aliasing setting does. YES IM A PC NOOB.
    Last edited by Migey; 2013-02-07 at 03:09 PM.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

  18. #58
    This game have fairly good opitmalization. AMD Turion (2.2 GHz), Radeon 2814 MB, 4 GB Ram was enough for minimal ^^ I was playing on laptop that is sometimes lagging on Warcraft 2 so... This game is worth it. Especialy in original language

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by dzikitukan View Post
    This game have fairly good opitmalization. AMD Turion (2.2 GHz), Radeon 2814 MB, 4 GB Ram was enough for minimal ^^ I was playing on laptop that is sometimes lagging on Warcraft 2 so... This game is worth it. Especialy in original language
    Are... are you talking about Witcher 2? I'm gonna guess you're talking about Witcher 1, because for all of its positives, TW2 was a BEHEMOTH of a computer-intensive game.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  20. #60
    Nope, it was Witcher 2. Maybe you have played early version? Enchanted edition has separated optymalization programm with helps a lot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •