Thread: no feral dps?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

no feral dps?

since mop came i i've seen like 3 feral dps.are they just rly bad dps or are they not fun ?

Deleted
    They are not as easy to play as most class's right now which may be putting people off a bit. You are going to have a far easier time dealing damage on Rogues, Warriors, Death Knights and Paladins than a Feral Druid right now. I have dabbled but decided to tank my way to decent gear before getting really into it as i enjoy the complex nature of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Feral druids are not THAT rare, my guild has 2 active ferals (that includes me)
    and i know a few others around my realm

also rogues can also be hard to play it depents on thier spec
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    also rogues can also be hard to play it depents on thier spec
    My main is a rogue and they have never been easier to play to be honest. Feral druids may be plentiful to some but not too many of them are playing to the full potential or a high standard because of the severity with the learning curve.

The rule for druid DPS at the moment is that you can get better numbers with less effort by playing pures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    My main is a rogue and they have never been easier to play to be honest.
    This is a thousand percent true. Anyone who's saying Sub is hard now has clearly suffered a stroke. Sub was hard in T12 when haste was relatively low and most fights needed you to stack up in front. In t13, haste got nuts and sub wasn't particularly difficult anymore.

On topic, I think most of the people who are attracted to Feral DPS (that is, a Rogue, but with the ability to go tank or heal) were also drawn in by the idea of Monks.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    This is a thousand percent true. Anyone who's saying Sub is hard now has clearly suffered a stroke. Sub was hard in T12 when haste was relatively low and most fights needed you to stack up in front. In t13, haste got nuts and sub wasn't particularly difficult anymore.

On topic, I think most of the people who are attracted to Feral DPS (that is, a Rogue, but with the ability to go tank or heal) were also drawn in by the idea of Monks.

Ive been playing feral since the end of LK (used to play warrior before) and is not that hard to play it maybe people get tired of not getting raid invites and they just went boomkins, healers or tanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    if you dont get a raid invite as feral then your doing something wrong
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

welll ferals have acctually been made "easier" by removing the bleed on mangle and instead made shred do more damage to bleeding targets, yet i still find feral more fun to play due to its complexity than my warrior, alas if only they were equally geared i could swap it with my warrior when raiding

Two words:
    "Ramp Up" and "Boss Mechanics"

Take your pick. That being said I am having a blast. But I've been in the desert for 2 years so dental work would be fun comparatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    if you dont get a raid invite as feral then your doing something wrong
    Just stop...there are lots of legitimate reasons, outside of player skill, as to why a feral wouldn't get invited.

@OP this is entirely a subjective view point based on several factors.
    Faction ratio
    Realm pop size
    Raid size (10m vs 25m)
    Number of times you complete LFD/LFR

I'm guessing you are a feral/guardian? The LFD tool works really hard not pair you with another feral/guardian. Guardians make for some great tanks and since a majority of guilds run 10 mans, they prolly want to diversify the classes they bring. Also, I know a lot of guilds want to limit the number of melee so they favor ranged dps that provide more utility.
    Last edited by Kioga; 2013-02-05 at 03:47 PM.

Deleted
    I've been in for progression on every boss in t13 heroic and been useful in both, the class is hard to play if you're playing with DoC and that puts a lot of people off. But overall we are in a good place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioga View Post
    Just stop...there are lots of legitimate reasons, outside of player skill, as to why a feral wouldn't get invited.
    I would agree 100% with that statement actually. Feral has the potential to be incredible on many many fights this tier, so being sat would be strictly be due to lack of player performance.

Feral is extremely fun to play and you can always fulfill another role in the raid if called upon to do so. Normally, I am feral/boom, but last night I was asked to go Guardian b/c our other OS tank had to be late to raid.

I think the main reason ferals are disappearing is because most guilds are 10 mans now. There is a really good chance that either a tank or a healer (maybe both) are a druid so you have already used up 1-2 slots for druids. Throw in the fact that ranged dps are more desirable (meaning people would rather have boomkins) and you added another leather agi class (monks, who also has the chance to be a tank) I can see a lot of raid teams/pugs simply not having a slot for another druid or another leather agi class.

I know on my medium pop server there are only really two raiding ferals out there (myself and one other guy). And when it comes to melee, if I were a raid leader I think I would prefer enhancement (better dps and hybrid healing capability) or a DK (more difficult to get buffs and some unique utility).

That said I still love my feral and imo it is by far the most fun rotation in the game. Let's face it, it's not like there have ever been a ton of ferals floating around.
    I am the co-host of a WoW related podcast at www.warcraftlounge.com. Check it out for tips on making gold, commentary on general WoW news, and entertaining recaps of the stupid shit that has happened to us in game. You can download us at iTunes, where we have a 5 star rating from our listeners.

Ferals are one of the strongest - if not the strongest - dps specs this tier. And I temper this with the knowledge that aff locks and arcane mages wreck the meters - but provide very little useful encounter utility in return. In a guild where any given member is easily one of the top players of their spec, I was still able to top the meters on the vast majority of progression kills - just check the link in my sig for our first kills on every fight with the damage meters shown.

Part of the feral population problem is due to DoC. Every guide says DoC is the highest performing level 90 talent, and on paper, it is. What isn't taken into account is the complexity and slope of the learning curve of that talent. Trying to play DoC is a dps decrease for the vast majority of players - and I'm not even ashamed to be among them, for progression at least. Coupled with our already complicated basic rotation (even without DoC, it seems feral is harder than pretty much every other spec out there), you have players fumbling with the most complex rotation in the game doing sub par dps - of course it's off putting.

Furthermore, ferals are a dps spec of a triple-hybrid class. As with most triple hybrids, generally there are more players interested in the higher utility roles of tank and healer. On top of that, we're at best half of the remainder with another completely divergent dps spec. If you know a dk is dps specced, then he's melee plate dps. If a hunter is dps, he's ranged, etc. This is the same for every class except druids, where dps could mean either ranged caster or melee. Finally, boomkins have historically (all through the last expansion, at least) been a phenomenally better choice for dps as a druid than feral, so due to inertia, if nothing else, much of the druid dps sector is still balance - even if the balanced has tipped imo (no pun intended.)

So sure, ferals are underrepresented, but certainly not because we're underpowered. I like it this way, in fact - even if we end up overpowered, sampling bias pushes our average low enough that it doesn't pop up on blizzard's nerf radar easily
    Last edited by kaiadam; 2013-02-05 at 11:29 PM.

idk about you guys but if i was only going to bring 1-2 melee to my raid because ranged have been favored in every single tier ever i would definitely choose a warrior or pally over a feral any day of the week. Ferals dont bring anything anymore besides a tranquility and typhoon, and we are essentially the worst melee dps in terms of throughput right now.

Quote Originally Posted by devilkiller View Post
    idk about you guys but if i was only going to bring 1-2 melee to my raid because ranged have been favored in every single tier ever i would definitely choose a warrior or pally over a feral any day of the week. Ferals dont bring anything anymore besides a tranquility and typhoon, and we are essentially the worst melee dps in terms of throughput right now.
    We are not the worst. Looking at parse data for 10 man heroic ret and windwalker both appear to be parsing lower. Rogues, dk, enhance, and warriors are parsing higher.

We bring arguably the best survivability of any spec though with barkskin, SI, self heals, and fast movement. We bring stampeding roar (which does matter on some heroic bosses), innervate (which while weak has some value), symbiosis (most useful on tanks), battle rez, tranq, soothe (heroic spirit kings), and decent passive healing if you use NV (which I do because as kaiadam pointed out DoC is barely better than NV in the best of circumstances and when you factor in human error and the utlity NV brings I prefer it on progression fights for sure).

In fact, I have multiple top 50 world parses with NV while doing very good passive healing, which often comes at the most important times (final stage of heroic elegon or blade lord come to mind).
    I am the co-host of a WoW related podcast at www.warcraftlounge.com. Check it out for tips on making gold, commentary on general WoW news, and entertaining recaps of the stupid shit that has happened to us in game. You can download us at iTunes, where we have a 5 star rating from our listeners.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioga View Post
    In 10 man maybe becase f a limtied amount of room, but in 25 man there are no reasons not to take a feral, ferals are just as great as rogues

in my guild we raid with 2 ferals almost every raid and 2 rogues, and we do progress in 25 man heroics
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Feral druids are fine. They're not OP and they're not UP. As some posters have said, the DoC build can be a bit off-putting for alot of people, but played by the right player there is no reason not to take a feral.

15+ Year Old Account
    i play HotW build and i am fine also, the extra utlity and aoe posabilities are great with it, evne if its slightly lower overall dps
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE