Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The uses of our AoE spell; Blizzard

Hello!
    So right now I'm leveling a mage and just learned the spell Blizzard. However I think its fun to try to make the perfect PvE rotation while leveling (and in dungs ofc) so I'm checking up on Icy-Veins/Noxxic frequently. But when it comes to AoE I've been noticing that Blizzard isn't used at all. The sites are only metioning Mage Bomb spells, AE and FS.
    So I'm wondering what the uses of Blizzard is atm? I'd rather AoE with that one instead of AE cus I don't like being that close in order to do aoe damage.
    Minions... servants... soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call of Kel'Thuzad!
    *chills*

Deleted
    Arcane Explosion and Blizzard have the same DPS. Personally, I used blizzard but very very rarely (pack of trash before the second boss of HoF).
    But if your arcane, AE is more usefull to generate charge before a Barrage.

Blizzard's handy for slowing adds on Feng if your DKs aren't paying attention for some reason

10+ Year Old Account
    While leveling and doing dungeons, feel free to choose between Explosion and Blizzard or vary them a bit just for shiny colors. When you get Flamestrike you should lay that down first and then follow up with either of the other two spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is safer thanks to it having a cast range Personally I love blizzard as an aoe spell (I miss FoF procs being used by blizzard while still being able to proc more).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Blizzard when I feel lazy on trash packs. For such an iconic mage spell, it's rather lackluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I really do wish there was some way to make Blizzard more interesting but I don't want to copy a Warlock's fire and forget Rain of Fire and I can't think of many other ways to jazz up a channeled AOE spell.
    Make it interact with bombs maybe? Casting certain spells while channelling it modifies the Blizzard in some way?
    Maybe change it to an instant RoF-esque spell, but one that follows a target rather than being able to be placed anywhere (with a cooldown the length of its duration)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I really do wish there was some way to make Blizzard more interesting but I don't want to copy a Warlock's fire and forget Rain of Fire and I can't think of many other ways to jazz up a channeled AOE spell.
    Make it interact with bombs maybe? Casting certain spells while channelling it modifies the Blizzard in some way?
    Maybe change it to an instant RoF-esque spell, but one that follows a target rather than being able to be placed anywhere (with a cooldown the length of its duration)?
    No, I'd rather they got rid of the Bomb spells for every spec but Fire.

Honestly, Mage AoE needs to be re-evaluated on a spec-by-spec basis, similar to Warlocks.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    I think it will be for 6.xx, not before.

Deleted
    As fire, you never use standard AoE, you ignite/pyro/bomb cleave. As frost, only on 10+ targets you use AE or blizzard. As arcane, you never use AE or blizzard unless there's 10+ mobs as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard's time has come and gone. However, I have a feeling that mages are on the to-do list. They haven't really seen a sweeping overhaul of mechanics. Spells and dps have been perpetually tweaked, but because mages usually stay near the happy spot on dps meters and really good mages are always present somewhere in the guild, Blizz has put them on auto-pilot for the last several years. Their time is coming and hopefully spells like Blizzard will be re-examined to make it useful again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Blizzard's time has come and gone. However, I have a feeling that mages are on the to-do list. They haven't really seen a sweeping overhaul of mechanics. Spells and dps have been perpetually tweaked, but because mages usually stay near the happy spot on dps meters and really good mages are always present somewhere in the guild, Blizz has put them on auto-pilot for the last several years. Their time is coming and hopefully spells like Blizzard will be re-examined to make it useful again.
    Given that GC pretty much admitted that they prioritize unpopular or low-dps specs first, it's hardly a surprise. I'd gladly take a middle of the pack damage ranking in exchange for the badly needed overhauls.

What I think could be used to help remedy the AoE problem is axing the Level 75 talents (yucky bomb spells) and turning it into a tier of AoE improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What I think could be used to help remedy the AoE problem is axing the Level 75 talents (yucky bomb spells) and turning it into a tier of AoE improvements.
    I'm getting pretty amazing AoE via Nether Tempest + ABar Cleave (as Arcane) ... I'm currently limited by skill, not mechanics and get 150k-200k AoE (iLvl 487 Haste stacked). If I were younger, I'd not screw up the Nether Tempest application so much and end up at the top end of that spectrum more than the lower end

As for AE ... only use that when I'm in panic mode and can't get my fingers to do the above

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with trying other things as long as we don't simplify the class/spec. The bomb tier added a much needed extra mechanic to frost and arcane.

Our aoe is very lackluster and I agree it could use some much needed attention to make it exciting.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    I'm fine with trying other things as long as we don't simplify the class/spec. The bomb tier added a much needed extra mechanic to frost and arcane.

Our aoe is very lackluster and I agree it could use some much needed attention to make it exciting.
    "Much needed extra mechanic"? It wasn't 'much needed' by either Arcane or Frost, given damage over time doesn't fit with either Frost or Arcane's flavor. They were introduced because people were complaining about those spec's lack of a DoT (which, incidentally was a lie for Frost given that Cata frost had Ignite). What the Bomb spells do address is the AoE problem, but rather clumsily.

Living Bomb should become baseline for Fire again, Nether Tempest can be made an Arcane spell; although, something I would like to see is that instead of applying it as a DoT, you summon an orb-like thing that shoots out its secondary damage.

I do quite like this suggestion. Maybe something that each talent improves AE, FS or Blizz. So that it makes all of the AoEs do damage on the same level. (Like you maybe want to spec in for example "Improved Blizzard" if there's a fight were alot of stationary mobs are clumped up.) Which lets you choose which talent you want to AoE with, instead of a mix of everything in terms of AoE damage as it is now.
    Minions... servants... soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call of Kel'Thuzad!
    *chills*

10+ Year Old Account
    Living Bomb should become baseline for Fire again, Nether Tempest can be made an Arcane spell; although, something I would like to see is that instead of applying it as a DoT, you summon an orb-like thing that shoots out its secondary damage.
    There was a period on the beta where we had flame orb, frozen orb and nether orb. I don't know why they were scrapped but they seem like a good replacement for the bombs.

They would certainly improve aoe if they worked like the current frozen orb by having a chance to proc on each hit.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    There was a period on the beta where we had flame orb, frozen orb and nether orb. I don't know why they were scrapped but they seem like a good replacement for the bombs.

They would certainly improve aoe if they worked like the current frozen orb by having a chance to proc on each hit.
    They were scrapped because their progenitor, Flame Orb, was considered a worthless spell; which was the truth, as the only spec in which it had mechanical use was Frost owing to its Fingers of Frost generation and snare.

It actually filled the same purpose for Arcane as well, it's just in Cataclysm there was rarely as much of a reason to cast Arcane Missiles because it hit for less than Arcane Blast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It actually filled the same purpose for Arcane as well, it's just in Cataclysm there was rarely as much of a reason to cast Arcane Missiles because it hit for less than Arcane Blast
    Ah yes, good old ghetto regeneration using Orb. Truth be told I did that so rarely that I've forgotten about it.

Even Frozen Orb is at present a little suss because of its pathing issues.